AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all

I've just purchased one of these projectors (Optoma HD1331xe) and I'm really happy with it - I just have one issue though and wondered whether anybody else has the same problem, or can help me with it...!

Essentially I'm getting a pop/click intermittently (maybe one every 5-10 minutes) and I initially thought it was because I was outputting a HDMI signal from my laptop (MacBook). I've since changed my setup and have the same thing with my Blu Ray player and Sky box (through different HDMI cables and different ports on the projector).

My set up is this:

- HDMI cable from Sky box / Blu Ray player into HDMI inputs on the projector (these are 10m cables, but the same issue happens with shorter cables)

- Audio out is via the 3.5mm jack from the projector to a RCA phono cable into an amplifier (Cambridge Audio A1)

The audio cable is 10m long too, so I thought that this could be where the issue is. I've just tested the cable with an iPod though and haven't heard the same problem after listening for an hour.

Is this a 'thing' with these projectors, or a 'thing' with HDMI sends? If so, how can I fix it?

Or could it be that the cable is behaving differently for the projector output vs. an iPod output?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

P.S. I'm not sure this is in the right place, but wasn't sure where best to put it for an answer?

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Clearly something is wrong. Perhaps the bulb assembly is not seated properly. You might try that first. When you say pop click, I'm assuming you hear a consistent sound from the projector not the audio receiver? Does the image also change, get brighter, get dimmer, or disappear for that instance? Either way, I'd try to exchange (if from Amazon, that's easy), or contact Optoma to have it repaired. I think either the bulb or something on the motherboard is going. It could be the color wheel is out of alignment as well. Sometimes a ground loop with your electrical system can cause popping, but you usually see that in the image as well. You can try isolating your projector from your home wiring with a surge protector, but that doesn't always fix a home electrical problem either such as not enough current going through the circuit. Try plugging in a different circuit. Also separate your receiver from your projector and make sure your receiver is grounded properly. It could be a sound issue with your receiver if the click is not coming directly from your projector--is it? That would indicate that the cable going to your receiver is not functioning correctly.

Edit: I just read your post again, and it appears your problem is with your audio system and cables. If you don't hear the pop or click coming from the projector directly, then you have a problem elsewhere since both the projector and the audio are in receive mode separately from the sending unit (ie. the bluray player). The generated click would have nothing to do with the projector in that instance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the reply.

There are no other symptoms other that the click; i.e. no image problems...

To be clear, the projector is sending the audio feed to the amp; the amp is not taking a feed direct from the blu ray player - does this still match to your theory above?

I'll try activating the internal speaker on the projector and listening out for the click there too. I've got a couple of surge protector extension sockets lying around too, so I'll also try that.

What's puzzled me is that the click is only audible from the projector audio out, and not when using the same wire from other sources. It could be that the other sources don't provide enough silence for the click to be audible and it's being masked by sound in general...

Thanks again!

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakram  /t/1522631/optoma-hd131xe-pops-and-clicks#post_24487619

To be clear, the projector is sending the audio feed to the amp; the amp is not taking a feed direct from the blu ray player - does this still match to your theory above?

It's never a good idea to use the audio out from your projector to your audio input as it might not match the audio input requirements or cause feedback. Best to a run an optical or coaxial cable from your bluray player to your audio, though I think Cambridge only takes RCA L/R. If so, then get a cheap audio converter from Amazon (plus whatever input cables you need. As for the Mac you can get a mini-cable to RCA cable converter for cheap as well.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
So, when you say the projector pops and clicks, what you really mean is that your AUDIO pops and clicks after being fed through the projector?

Have you tried using a short (2m) HDMI cable and a short (2m) audio cable?

Sounds to me like you are getting bit loss (data) on the HDMI connection at 10m into the projector.

The best setup would be to run audio directly from your sources into a proper A/V receiver. You may need to use digital audio connections for this, or perhaps do a digital to analog conversion. But, a decent A/V receiver with HDMI connectivity is really the best solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts