AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I've been researching for a projector to use at home mostly for watching movies and casting my phone screen to display videos and photos sometimes.

I came across the Optoma HD141x and the Vivitek DH559, both are at the same price range where I found them, below $500, which is pretty much what I can afford at the moment.

It is going to be my first projector so I am not experienced at all. I have, however, been researching quite a bit for the last week and read good thing about the Optoma (despite lots of praises on the BenQ W1070 over the Optoma), but not so much info about the Vivitek and how these 2 models compare.

I do prefer the throw ratio of the Vivitek over the Optoma since I'm a bit shortsighted so having the screen a little closer feels more comfortable and sharper. But if the overall specs of the Optoma are superior I don't mind the small distance difference.

Any insights on how these 2 compare are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The color brightness on the HD141X is so low it's hilarious calling it a home cinema projector.
The Vivitek seems so out of date as well.
At your price point, look at refurbished good projectors.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
... I do prefer the throw ratio of the Vivitek over the Optoma since I'm a bit shortsighted so having the screen a little closer feels more comfortable and sharper. ...
Not sure what you mean by this as throw ratio is related to the distance of the projector to the screen and should have no effect on viewing distance which is related to the distance you're sitting from the screen. If you could provide how you plan to mount the projector (ceiling, wall, shelf or table), room size, preferred screen size and preferred viewing distance it would help in narrowing down what projectors might work best for you.

The best of the entry level 1080p projectors generally have street prices in the $700-$800 range. Entry level projectors in the $500 range generally produce visibly inferior images, though if it's your first projector you will probably be so impressed with the size of the image that you would find almost any projector impressive. As jassonsong suggested, you should consider a factory refurbished model that gets higher ratings than the two models you mention.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I currently use the 141 and found with calibration is does produce a very nice picture. My only camparison side by side was another Optoma 1080p projector. Did watch a couple movies on a friends 4k JVC. Hard to compare though. I like the 141. Dont know what the others are comparing to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts