AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm puzzled by something. I have a optoma HD20 projector, and a 16:9 pull down screen.

For some or other reason, I can't make the image fit the screen in any way. I'm aware I need to "overscan" the image a little bit over the black bars around the 16:9 area, but I simply can't.

If I let the image overlap a few cm to each side, I still have a gap at the bottom and top of the screen. If I zoom in more, top & bottom is fine, but I lose 3 to 4 cm at each side of the screen.

I measured the screen to check if it's in fact true 16:9 and it seems correct. Is this a known HD20 issue? Is the aspect of the lens off?

it's the only thing disturbing me about the HD20 right now.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Do you have the projector completely perpendicular to the screen? Shrink it down a bit and make sure the image isn't trapezoidal in any way. It would be very odd for your projector to be properly positioned and projecting an image that is not 16x9.

If it is aimed to one side, the image should be slightly wider and the far side of the image should have a larger height than the close side.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Remember the screen and projector both have to be square and plumb to each other. If not you will have the exact problem you describe. My set up is temporary so I have to position my projector for every use. If you are ceiling mounted and can not seem to figure it out, you may want to bring it down and put it on a flat surface that is the proper height for the off set and work with it there a bit to get an understanding of which movement correct which problems... Be very careful moving a projector that is on or warm. I have mine on a piece of wood so I can move the wood without disturbing the projector (slides better then rubber feet) Once you figure out where the issues is move it back to the ceiling and readjust.

Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, check that the screen is 1.85:1 versus 1.78:1. With that minor difference, some of my content has small black bars top and bottom. The only thing that truly fills my screen is 1.78:1 content.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts