AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the HD20 and have spent time calibrating it, could you please share your settings and/or methods by which to best tweek it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Calibration settings are influenced by the projector's environment. What works for one person's setup may not be ideal for yours. The best way is to use a setup DVD that takes you through the settings, one by one, to optimize the projector for your use. Lacking that, then you're left with you own eyeball for what looks right.

To put it in a nutshell, the Brightness controls the Black level and the Contrast controls the White level. With a grey scale, you would adjust the Brightness until the last, darkest black square in the scale is defined from the adjacent square and the Contrast adjusted for the same result on the last White square. Then you get into Color Hue and Saturation and without a the setup DVD, you're pretty much doing to taste.

The point with the Brightness or Black level is to have the right level so the details in the shadows or dark areas are not lost and and the Contrast or White level so images do not "Bloom" from being overdriven.

Having said all this, I'm sure someone will pop in with their "ideal" settings, if you use those and they work for you, fine. But I would treat them as a starting point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Optoma HD 20 (component input, sat hdtv)

My calibrated settings -room brown walls and ceiling no light

MODE-- USER

CONTRAST-- 42

BRIGHTNESS-- 49

COLOR-- 49

TINT-- 49

SHARPNESS-- 9

ADVANCED

NOISE REDUCTION-- 5

GAMMA-- FILM

B/W EXTENSION-- OFF

COLOR TEMP.-- WARM

RGB GAIN/BIAS

RED GAIN-- -4

GREEN GAIN-- 0

BLUE GAIN-- -5

RED BIAS-- -2

GREEN BIAS-- -2

BLUE BIAS-- -2

LAMP

BRIGHT MODE-- ON

AMAGE AI

OFF

COLOR SPACE-- AUTO

·
Registered
6 Posts
hdmi input(ps3) Optoma HD 20

My calibrated settings -room brown walls and ceiling no light

MODE-- USER

CONTRAST-- 40

BRIGHTNESS-- 44

COLOR-- 49

TINT-- 48

SHARPNESS-- 9

ADVANCED

NOISE REDUCTION-- 0

GAMMA-- FILM

B/W EXTENSION-- OFF

COLOR TEMP.-- WARM

RGB GAIN/BIAS

RED GAIN-- -4

GREEN GAIN-- 0

BLUE GAIN-- -5

RED BIAS-- -2

GREEN BIAS-- -2

BLUE BIAS-- -2

LAMP

BRIGHT MODE-- ON

AMAGE AI

OFF

COLOR SPACE-- AUTO

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If projectors are like TVs then having one user's settings are pretty useless for anyone else. That is, unless the two people have identical room lighting conditions and everything else is the same. Otherwise you need to get calibration software and do it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts