AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been a member of the forum for a while, but obviously I'm mostly a lurker hehe.

Anyway my current setup is a 100" display powered by an HD65 which I've had for 5 years. The thing still runs like a champ, but with more and more content making use of 1080p and 3D these days, an upgrade would be nice. I've thought about doing the HD65 3D firmware, but I'd rather just upgrade. I had been looking at the HD33 for a while now and I've always thought that would be the obvious choice because the Epson 3020 doesn't really do anything for me. With that said, I just read about the new HD25 and HD25-LV projectors from Optoma, and I'm wondering if these are better than the HD33. Basically what would you choose and why? Keep in mind that I play a lot of video games, watch HDTV, and view Blu-Ray movies on my current system. I'm also really curious why, if the HD25 is two years newer, is the HD33 more expensive on Amazon?

Thanks in advance everybody!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi.

I've had the HD33 for a year and love it at 120". But as soon as Amazon gets the HD25-LV I am going to order it and give it try. I will look at the owner's manual first as soon as Optoma posts it.

If the Dark Chip 3 has a lot better contrast than the DC 2 of the HD33 that would be great. The extra lumens for 3d, even better.

A Philips lamp rather than an Osram, yeah!

Individual control of primary and secondary colors looks interesting.

I don't know why they put speakers in it unless they meant it for business or portable use.

The lower cost may be due to competition. When the HD33 came out it was the only game in town and there wasn't a lot of 3d content at that time. Also since there are a lot of under $1000 DLP's perhaps chip yield has improved.

td

·
Registered
253 Posts
No one has the HD25-LV but I see the price at Amazon has gone from $1299 to $1318.

When I spoke to Optoma two weeks ago they had no arrival date and would not post the owner's manual until the

projector was released.

td

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG  /t/1470239/optoma-hd25-lv-or-hd33#post_23255156

Optima's screen calculator shows the the HD25-LV as a center mount vs the HD33 a top or bottom mount. If this makes a difference.

Is this simply from looking at the illustration of where the projector is? The HD25 isn't a center mount.I don't know why the HD25-LV would be...

From looking at the projector specs fro the HD25-LV,the offset would be at 116%,which means...?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin  /t/1470239/optoma-hd25-lv-or-hd33#post_23255648

Is this simply from looking at the illustration of where the projector is? The HD25 isn't a center mount.I don't know why the HD25-LV would be...

From looking at the projector specs fro the HD25-LV,the offset would be at 116%,which means...?
The HD33 calculator has a floor or ceiling option. The HD25-LV dose not. The data sheet says ceiling or table top for the HD25-LV, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for the great replies. My big fear was that the hd25 LV would end up being a cheap business projector, not designed for home theater use (the speaker inclusion threw me off). So basically is sounds like it should be a better version of the hd33. Currently my projector is mounted upside down on a near ceiling level shelf, and if it turns out the HD25 is a center mount, would that mean I have to lower the shelf?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I called Optoma directly about the distance calculator for the HD25-LV and the tech told me that it is exactly the same as the HD20.

Also,the specs were right about the offset being 116%.

He also stated that the distance calculator isn't "active" for any specific model anytime you see the projector in the middle of the screen.
There is no center mount.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin  /t/1470239/optoma-hd25-lv-or-hd33#post_23260649

I called Optoma directly about the distance calculator for the HD25-LV and the tech told me that it is exactly the same as the HD20.

Also,the specs were right about the offset being 116%.

He also stated that the distance calculator isn't "active" for any specific model anytime you see the projector in the middle of the screen.
There is no center mount.
This would answer the HD8300 distance calculator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the GT750e currently and I am also considering the 25-LV. I see you can order it now but it is not available to ship from Amazon

What does everyone mean exactly when you mention "center mount"? I dont understand?

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1330  /t/1470239/optoma-hd25-lv-or-hd33#post_23262888

I have the GT750e currently and I am also considering the 25-LV. I see you can order it now but it is not available to ship from Amazon

What does everyone mean exactly when you mention "center mount"? I dont understand?

Center mount means the projector lens would be at the same height as the center of the screen. You would not be able to set it on a low table or ceiling mount it

without using built-in keystone correction or tilting the screen.

Like the old 35mm slide projectors.

td

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ahhh ok.... Thank you! Much appreciated! I am new to projectors and still learning. I am going to be doing my first calibration on my current setup. Addicting though so much to play with and learn. Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using the HD65 with the 3DXL and the firmware update, and frankly it's really brilliant.

So that might be a serious contender if you want to save yourself $$$!

However, I am also thinking of upgrading to this one (HD25 LV), simply for the super-brightness of this projector. So I'd also be interested if anyone has a review.

Sorry, don't know how helpful that was!

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
According to page 23 of the User Manual for the Optoma HD-25, the offset is 7.92 inches (0.66 feet) for a 100" screen. I am not sure about the LV version, but some googling shows some sites have entered the LV as no vertical shift capability.

Therefore, I would assume an 8% offset (8 inches per 100 16:9 screen).

Unless the LV version means it is a very rare center based offset DLP with no lens shift (this is very rare), so I kind of doubt it.

It does have Keystone, but such use is not generally recommended.

This means the projector can be mounted only 8" above the screen or 8" below the screen. The projector cannot be mounted in the center of the screen, because I did not see any mention of Vertical Lens Shift in the manual. It does have a feature called Image Shift, but I think that means digitally shifting the image (not related to alignment).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.