AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Optoma's GT750, which I may still end up getting, but the HD33 and HD3300 look interesting.

It looks like the key differences between the GT750 and the HD3300 are price: $800 vs $1500 (or more. I haven't seen a price for the HD3300, only the HD33.), resolution: 800 vs 1080, brightness: 3000 vs 1900 lumens, contrast ratio: 3000 vs 5000. The GT750 is also a short throw projector, which may be useful for me to get as big of an image as possible.

I'm still leaning towards the GT750. It's cheaper and it wins on brightness, but how much of a difference would it make resolution wise: 800 vs 1080?

Any other thoughts? Maybe there are some other key differences I'm missing.

Btw, the release date for the GT750 is still October correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. /forum/post/20872956

I was looking at Optoma's GT750, which I may still end up getting, but the HD33 and HD3300 look interesting.

It looks like the key differences between the GT750 and the HD3300 are price: $800 vs $1500 (or more. I haven't seen a price for the HD3300, only the HD33.), resolution: 800 vs 1080, brightness: 3000 vs 1900 lumens, contrast ratio: 3000 vs 5000. The GT750 is also a short throw projector, which may be useful for me to get as big of an image as possible.

I'm still leaning towards the GT750. It's cheaper and it wins on brightness, but how much of a difference would it make resolution wise: 800 vs 1080?

Any other thoughts? Maybe there are some other key differences I'm missing.

Btw, the release date for the GT750 is still October correct?

Thanks!

It depends on what you are mostly going to watch. If its 1080p or 3d 1080p, the HD33 is the best. If you are going to watch mainly HDTV, play video games, or anything that is not blu ray quality, you should save the money and go for the GT750. Plus, you can get a huge bright image with very short distances. Basically, you can get a 150in image in less than 8 feet away. If you ceiling mount it, you can stand up and not worry about being in the way most of the time. Or you can have it be portable. Take it from room to room on your walls and watch a big image all the time.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply.

But with the GT750 1080 will just be scaled down to 720 right? My main concern is to avoid the screen door effect.

Yes, it will be

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H.
I think it will probably be the GT750 for me. It's at least $700 cheaper.

Although will the screen door effect be noticeable? And has the release date finalized?
Screen door has never been a big problem with DLPs - that was really a LCD issue because of DLP's greater fill factor. I've used XGA DLPs in the past with little problem.

Now I'm wondering about DL750 too - its short throw might work better for me. I wish HD33 had such a short throw.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
My uncle has a GT720 just like I do, and he has his ceiling mounted in his basement with a 140in screen. I think he loses a lot of flexibility with this projector because its so portable. But its and 7 1/2 feet away from the screen, so it is barely visible. You can walk as close as 5 feet to the screen without seeing any shadows in the screen. He is happy with it being HD, so he isn't worried too much about excellent quality. It's his first HD anything, so its great to him. He was going to spend $500 on a used flat screen when I told him for $600 he can have a theater in his basement. He wanted bigger but his ceilings are only 7 1/2 feet high. It's in Eco mode and he gets 30fL. So, if you want to go really big, the extra lumens in the GT750 should be great

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the GT750.

I think I saw someone say the release date might be pushed up to September, but I'm guessing this is still unconfirmed and nobody knows for sure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Now VisualApex says HD33 will be sold starting Sep 1st - so I guess they do expect the projectors to get to them next week. But nothing about 750 - not even mentioning it. Only B&H has a pre-order page for it.

I've already been without a working projector for 3 weeks now ....

·
Registered
514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 /forum/post/20875631

My uncle has a GT720 just like I do, and he has his ceiling mounted in his basement with a 140in screen. I think he loses a lot of flexibility with this projector because its so portable. But its and 7 1/2 feet away from the screen, so it is barely visible. You can walk as close as 5 feet to the screen without seeing any shadows in the screen. He is happy with it being HD, so he isn't worried too much about excellent quality. It's his first HD anything, so its great to him. He was going to spend $500 on a used flat screen when I told him for $600 he can have a theater in his basement. He wanted bigger but his ceilings are only 7 1/2 feet high. It's in Eco mode and he gets 30fL. So, if you want to go really big, the extra lumens in the GT750 should be great

With the 140in screen so large do you see rainbows from it being so big? (eyes moving over it)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I'm at 181" 2.4 diagonal at 11 ft away, I've had one viewer say he had to look back and forth - but I wrote that off as jealousy. you can induce rainbows by looking back and forth quickly, and even with a very small image DLP my brother in law couldnt watch for long.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow /forum/post/20876036

Now VisualApex says HD33 will be sold starting Sep 1st - so I guess they do expect the projectors to get to them next week. But nothing about 750 - not even mentioning it. Only B&H has a pre-order page for it.

I've already been without a working projector for 3 weeks now ....

I've been with a working projector for over a year but not hooked up LOL! And it's a killer PJ, shame on me for enjoying browsing AVS

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
you can mount it either way, but it's gonna be close to the screen edge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.