AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh, I don't know ... owning a *wonderful* little HD65 myself since shortly after they appeared I can't see much of a reason to make the switch to a HD20. Unless, that is, one simply MUST have 1080p. Spec-wise, that's about the only major difference between the two, as far as I can determine. And, yes, that's a big difference to some (probably most)...just not enough for me to plop down another grand or so. 720p suits me just fine, so far. The HD65 produces a gorgeous, sharp image that's nothing to apologize for by any means, IMHO.

I guess I'd get an HD20 if I were in the OP's position, but I think the HD65 is still a very viable machine with an apparently very good track record of reliability. The HD20 is a new, unknown quantity at this point. Hopefully it will prove to be just as reliable for most of its owners. I took a 'gamble' on the HD65, but it's paid off with many many hours of sheer enjoyment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
70% uniformity ? What up with companies like this qouting different specs on several versions of brochures for the same product. I read a HD20 brochure recently which says 90% uniformity. Im sure it must be some mistake. Ive seen some popular sites also quoting wrong figures when it comes to specs. Im sure with the advancements in PJ technology nowadays 90% has become a staple minimum. Im a 1080p PJ like this may not have such a low uniformity level. It will have a very obvious hotspotting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On Optoma's website the HD8200 only has 80% uniformity, the optoma hd65 has 95%, why such a big difference between the topline 8200 projector and bottom line hd65 projector? my guess is you probably dont notice any color shifts unless you have a huge screen

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
...but that's why you buy these projectors (for a huge screen). As someone who writes datasheets for a living (for telecom stuff), I am very curious about these inconsistencies. Either someone's not checking their work or there are significant differences between these projectors. BTW, I own and HD65 (and love it).

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I've had both and the hd70 as well. While I am just learning the adjustments on the hd20 I would have to recomend it over the other 2....1080p/24 for under 1k is a no brainer. Also, the user adjustments are extensive and some I have never seen like Gamma curve???

·
Registered
554 Posts
No need to make a snap purchase decision about the HD20. The HD70 and

HD65 have benefitted from months and months of hobbyist tweaking, instrumentation adjustments and preferred user settings provided by professional reviewers. Personally, I'd wait for this unit to get in enough ably qualified and objective hands before making a final purchase decision. We just don't know enough yet about what it is, or isn't capable of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.