AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a 3D projector in the next month or so. I will be replacing a Sony hpl-hs10. It was a great 720p projector. One of my fears is that the hd66 will be a 2D downgrade. My big question is: should I wait for the Sharp 3D (not 3D ready) projector in January. If the price is under $2000 it seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dserensits /forum/post/19639238

I am planning on purchasing a 3D projector in the next month or so. I will be replacing a Sony hpl-hs10. It was a great 720p projector. One of my fears is that the hd66 will be a 2D downgrade. My big question is: should I wait for the Sharp 3D (not 3D ready) projector in January. If the price is under $2000 it seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

Yes,

the Sharp will have HDMI 1.4a input and you will have no problems of any kind.

DLP-Link does not work on OPTOMA HD66 and you would have to use IR glasses with 3D-XL instead of DLP-Link glasses.

Mathew Orman

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dserensits /forum/post/19639292

Aside from the sync issues (I am fine using IR glasses) do you think there will be any significant benefits associated with the Sharp...is 1080P worth am extra grand?

Yes,

it is worth it.

With OPTOMA you will have to buy 3D-XL box (US$400) or HTPC with nVidia's 3D-Vision Kit (HTPC + US$200).

With Sharp you can use any 3D Blue-ray player, PS3 in 3D mode, HTPC without need of 3D-Vision Kit (you only spend US$ 24 for 3D TV Play) and all broadcast, satellite and cable 3D set top boxes are going to work just fine.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19639260

Yes,

the Sharp will have HDMI 1.4a input and you will have no problems of any kind.

DLP-Link does not work on OPTOMA HD66 and you would have to use IR glasses with 3D-XL instead of DLP-Link glasses.

Mathew Orman

I really do not want any kind of fight or argument or anything, but this claim that DLPLink does not work with the HD66 is false. If the claim is that DLPLink will not work when using the 3D-XL, that would almost certainly be false also. I don't represent Optoma or any other manufacturer, but I don't like to see anyone's product dissed with inaccurate information.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha /forum/post/19639664

I really do not want any kind of fight or argument or anything, but this claim that DLPLink does not work with the HD66 is false. If the claim is that DLPLink will not work when using the 3D-XL, that would almost certainly be false also. I don't represent Optoma or any other manufacturer, but I don't like to see anyone's product dissed with inaccurate information.

Here is the prove where OPTOMA admits it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1296612

DLP-Link Glasses do not work correctly on all DLP-Link projectors period. Adding 3D-XL does not remedy the lack of eye phase sync on any DLP-Link projector.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want this to be another 3dxl sync issues thread. Let's assume that at the very worst the 3dxl will work with the invert button. But ASIDE from that I'm looking to compare the sharp and optoma setups. I'm also thinking there may be a chance the sharp is priced less than $2000 which in my mind right now would be a bargain. I'm also afraid the sharp release may be pushed back and I'm inpatient

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19639708

Here is the prove where OPTOMA admits it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1296612

DLP-Link Glasses do not work correctly on all DLP-Link projectors period. Adding 3D-XL does not remedy the lack of eye phase sync on any DLP-Link projector.

Mathew Orman

They do work properly. The "issue" you are describing is proper / normal operation.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If the Sharp projector comes out anywhere near $2000 it would be a bargain. I wish it would but I didn't wait for it or hold my breath. Prior to CEDIA I did think someone would produce a 1080p 3D projector for approx $2000, but now it looks to me like nobody will for the coming year. The Sharp is the one to wonder about, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha /forum/post/0

If the Sharp projector comes out anywhere near $2000 it would be a bargain. I wish it would but I didn't wait for it or hold my breath. Prior to CEDIA I did think someone would produce a 1080p 3D projector for approx $2000, but now it looks to me like nobody will for the coming year. The Sharp is the one to wonder about, though.

I read an article somewhere (and now I can't find it again) stating that the price would be under $2000. I think for under 2 grand I would wait for the sharp. When do we think they will announce pricing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts