AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much set my mind on replacing my pany ax200 when this bulb goes up do to the cost of a new bulb, their around 2000 hour life expetancy, and the fact that I have some screen blue artifacts now presented by this projector which will require more money and effort to fix, more than reasonable given the cost of the HD66. Now, that said I'm still open to suggestion given i'm waiting to replace until the bulb goes up in the next month or so.

Right now, for the money and quality, I would like to know if there is a better projection option for good 3d and 2d playback than this combo, one that I may have overlooked, one that would be similar in price? If so please speak up. I'm absolutely not interested in anything other than projection given the size can't be beat and i'm sure even more so when it comes to 3d.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. I have my projector around 12' from a 106" hp (old 2.8 gain material) screen so brightness should not be an issue during the loss of brightness during 3d playback. Further, if necessary I can move the projector back slightly knowing that i'm on the edge of the HD66's ability to fill a 106" screen.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have replaced the Optoma HD70 (2D) with the HD66 (3D ready) recently and am patiently waiting on the release of the 3D-XL adapter. I have a similar layout as you with the 106" HP screen and the HD66 back about 12 or 13 ft (can't remember the exact distance). Believe me I am glad I went with the Dalite HP with 2.8 gain because I believe that the slight loss of lumens with 3D will be compensated for with the gain factor.

I have had the HD70 for over 4 years and the increased brightness of the hd66 is wonderful however I haven't seen it in 3D mode yet. The reason I went with Optoma for the HD66 was my previous excellent results with the HD70. On my second bulb with the 70 and never a minutes problem with the unit. So I know that Optoma has had experience in HD home theater where maybe other 3D ready pj manufacturers may be more from presentation or gaming side of the house.

Also, the whole system seem to fit my budget at this time for 720p 3D with the 3D-XL and pj. There are other HDMI 1.4 3D 1080p pj systems that have been announced and surely more in the near future and I imagine that Optoma will be in the running but now the current 1.4 1080p pj's are rather expensive. Anyway, 2 to 4 years from now it will be a whole new ballgame and I will be ready to upgrade again.

When I get the adapter I will make my reviews on the unit in the AVS forum threads.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 /forum/post/19648594

I have replaced the Optoma HD70 (2D) with the HD66 (3D ready) recently and am patiently waiting on the release of the 3D-XL adapter. I have a similar layout as you with the 106" HP screen and the HD66 back about 12 or 13 ft (can't remember the exact distance). Believe me I am glad I went with the Dalite HP with 2.8 gain because I believe that the slight loss of lumens with 3D will be compensated for with the gain factor.

I have had the HD70 for over 4 years and the increased brightness of the hd66 is wonderful however I haven't seen it in 3D mode yet. The reason I went with Optoma for the HD66 was my previous excellent results with the HD70. On my second bulb with the 70 and never a minutes problem with the unit. So I know that Optoma has had experience in HD home theater where maybe other 3D ready pj manufacturers may be more from presentation or gaming side of the house.

Also, the whole system seem to fit my budget at this time for 720p 3D with the 3D-XL and pj. There are other HDMI 1.4 3D 1080p pj systems that have been announced and surely more in the near future and I imagine that Optoma will be in the running but now the current 1.4 1080p pj's are rather expensive. Anyway, 2 to 4 years from now it will be a whole new ballgame and I will be ready to upgrade again.

When I get the adapter I will make my reviews on the unit in the AVS forum threads.

Thanks very much for the review! How many hours do you have on the HD66 thus far? Any flicker issues or anything? Guessing not judging from what you've said. I look very very forward to hearing your review once you get the 3d-xl up and running!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have 135 hours on the HD66 thus far - all in the Econo (Std) mode on the lamp and all 2D not 3D yet. Have not noticed any flicker or any kind of anomolies in the image whatsoever. Seems to be very sharp image remembering it is 720p. Better contrast and brightness than the hd70 also. I have not tried to calibrate the settings and made very minimal changes to the out-of-the-box values. The first few pages of the HD66 AVS forum has some suggested initial changes. I followed those ideas but would like to talk with other owners to discuss and refine the settings.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007
I have 135 hours on the HD66 thus far - all in the Econo (Std) mode on the lamp and all 2D not 3D yet. Have not noticed any flicker or any kind of anomolies in the image whatsoever. Seems to be very sharp image remembering it is 720p. Better contrast and brightness than the hd70 also. I have not tried to calibrate the settings and made very minimal changes to the out-of-the-box values. The first few pages of the HD66 AVS forum has some suggested initial changes. I followed those ideas but would like to talk with other owners to discuss and refine the settings.
Yeah, I would imagine our HP screens require different settings than what works for others with non retroflective screens.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone else have anything to add. I've seen some viewsonic models and acer models with similar intentions as the HD66 but Projector Central's reviews only rated the HD66 a top rated choice in the ~$700 3d ready 720p market. Is the HD66 truly the cat's meow in this market (sub $800, 3d ready, performs well on 16:9 screen, etc.)??? Just trying to be thorough.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19691036

Do you have specific concerns you want to address about the HD66?

It's a good choice. I went with the cheapest I could find myself.
GT700

I run 50' HDMI Cables which is probably my only real specific concern.

Other than that my only concern is knowing I could have done better for the money on a 3d ready dlp projector.

I am curious as to how it will compare to the pany ax200 I run now. I'm hoping better everywhere.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
It's not as good on 2D as my lowly Panny AE1000U.

The 50' run is of concern as I do think I have seen posts about it being a little weak in that regard. Seems fix-able no matter what though.

There was another model somebody posted a while back that was in their pro line. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19692583

With the length run and your concerns? Consider stepping up to a:

Optoma TW610 3D ready DLP Projector

I think it has a short throw though.

Short throw would work fine given i'm at the very edge of what the HD66 could fill a 106" screen with.

Yea, I suppose a signal "strenghtener" would fix the issue would just rather avoid it given the 50' HDMI Cables would become useless but it's not the end of the world.

I saw that thread where the user recommended that projector. I will go back and look into it more.

I appreciate your responses!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19692556

It's not as good on 2D as my lowly Panny AE1000U.

Again I appreciate this information. That pany is a step above my brighter cheaper ax200 I believe so I don't believe I should have any fears of inferior 2d performance compared to what I have now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you think about the BenQ 600+ for about another $200 above the Optoma HD66? I like the brightness the BenQ has been reported to have especially for 3d although at only 13-11.8' from a 2.8 gain hp screen either should work fine. I get the feeling the BenQ will result in a better picture everywhere than the HD66. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 /forum/post/19697165

The Projector Central reviewer somehow could not get the unit to ever go into 3D mode. He then was comparing the "blacks" of the images of the W600 to the Optoma HD20!! What's up with that? Also it has a 2X color wheel and the HD66 I believe is 3X or 4X. Need more and better reviews. See review below.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...tor_review.htm

Thank you very much for the review but I believe the w 600+ model narrows the gaps of the things the HD66 was reported to do better. This review is not of the 600+ correct? Thanks again

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF /forum/post/19697480

Thank you very much for the review but I believe the w 600+ model narrows the gaps of the things the HD66 was reported to do better. This review is not of the 600+ correct? Thanks again

Yes, you are right - My bad. I haven't found the 600+ review yet. Maybe some of these issues are resolved.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 /forum/post/19697584

Yes, you are right - My bad. I haven't found the 600+ review yet. Maybe some of these issues are resolved.

There is a thread i'm participating in which says the color wheel speed of the 600+ has been upped. I would like to find out exactly how much as from my limited understanding this directly translates into how minimal the rainbow effect is. I do have alot of guests over from time to time and don't want anyone suffering from it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.