AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have been researching and researching until my eyes have literally gone cross eyed. I have finally narrowed my decision down to two projectors. The Optoma Hd66 and the Viewsonic PJD6531w.

I am leaning more towards the Viewsonic so far though because you get a free 80" screen (I already have a nice 90" Da Lite pull down, but a second "portable" screen is nice) as well as a ceiling mount with it if you buy it before the end of this year (2010). But I have read many many more reviews on the Hd66 which makes me wonder if it is just a better projector or, that no one has looked into the viewsonic?

Let me break down what I want to use the projector for:

I want to be able to move it around to different rooms (or houses).

I plan on using it for gaming (PS3/PC) 80% and movies 15%. Everything in between 5%

The only thing that has me torn between the two is that the Hd66 boasts a higher contrast ratio of 4000:1 vs. the PJD6531w 2000:1 but other than that, they are VERY similar. I know contrast ratings should be taken with a large grain of salt though.

So, any thoughts, opinions, questions? I am open to suggestions. The budget is up to $1000.

Thanks in advance!

[Edit] Almost forgot, I have to have a relatively short throw projector. I only have 8-10' to work with and would like to get as close to 90" as possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I ended up going with the Optoma instead after I read a few reviews on the Viewsonic. Apparently the Viewsonic doesn't scale well if at all to 16:9 (its a 16:10 PJ) and there are multiple people commenting on a high pitched variable squeal coming from it, most likely caused by the bulb.

I ordered the optoma right before thanksgiving with normal 3 day shipping (they wanted 80 something bucks for 2 day...) so it should show up around the Mon-Wed time frame of next week. I can't wait to get it. I will try and post a review with as many Pics as possible when I get the chance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my new Optoma HD66 showed up yesterday. I couldn't stop myself from plugging it in right when I got it. I must say, going from a SD LCD chinese POS projector to this is a night and day difference. So far gaming is just awesome on it! I am going to start a new thread showing my setup when I get it mounted permanently. I am extremely happy with it so far.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr47
Well my new Optoma HD66 showed up yesterday. I couldn't stop myself from plugging it in right when I got it. I must say, going from a SD LCD chinese POS projector to this is a night and day difference. So far gaming is just awesome on it! I am going to start a new thread showing my setup when I get it mounted permanently. I am extremely happy with it so far.
Let us know how it goes (i have the HD65) but will be selling and purchasing the HD66 ... very curious as some sites list it as 16:9 but others say 16:10 (so u will see black bars around) also my HD65max resolution is 1920x1080 and the HD66 is only 1600x1200 i guess either way it doesn't matter since 1280x720 is the native

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/19580062

Let us know how it goes (i have the HD65) but will be selling and purchasing the HD66 ... very curious as some sites list it as 16:9 but others say 16:10 (so u will see black bars around) also my HD65max resolution is 1920x1080 and the HD66 is only 1600x1200 i guess either way it doesn't matter since 1280x720 is the native

From what I have seen so far it is a 16:9 native projector, but it has got a 16:10 mode. I haven't gotten to play around with it a whole lot yet, so I haven't hooked a computer up yet. I have seen the black bars all around the screen, but those bars seem to be there more for adjustments than anything else. It lets you adjust the image up or down a little plus digital keystoning (but I don't like the digital keystoning because it effects the image to much in my taste) It does accept a 1080p signal through HDMI though, 1600x1200 is the maximum resolution for a computer to be hooked up. When I first hooked my PS3 up to it, the PS3 defaulted to 1080p. But I switched back to 720p instead.

I will be trying out 3D once the converter-box from Optoma comes out in January. I believe it was called the 3D-XL or something along those lines. Its sort of expensive, but I've tried a few games in 3D on my PC with my monitor a while back... and I am hooked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts