AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping some of the resident experts might be able to help me figure out what is going on here.

I'm on my 2nd projector, a Optoma HD70 that I bought when I switched to HD a few years ago. It has performed excellently for me for a little over 3 years now.

This past week I started noticing flashes of what appeared to be inverse color. They were very brief but would occur randomly. I thought maybe it was something in my DVR but it wouldn't happen in the same location on recordings, and it would happen on all inputs (DVR,PS3,360).

It got a lot worse this past Friday. I took some very poor footage with a digital camera. It's fuzzy but you can see the problem in action. It went from the blink of an eye and random, to rather continuous and a lot more visible.

Now my Optoma was bought in June 2007, so it has gotten a lot of use and I'm still on the original bulb. So it has held up well, I'd love for it to just be a bulb issue, but it seems like when a bulb goes it goes.

So before I waste money on a bulb only for it not to be the issue I thought I'd see if anyone here with more experience might be able to figure out what is going wrong.

If the projector is dying, any recommendation for one that would ceiling mount with a similar throw distance would be awesome too.

Thanks for any input you can give me. Sucks to be without my theater.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti /forum/post/19534695

I'm hoping some of the resident experts might be able to help me figure out what is going on here.

It got a lot worse this past Friday. I took some very poor footage with a digital camera. It's fuzzy but you can see the problem in action. It went from the blink of an eye and random, to rather continuous and a lot more visible.

This does not sound like a lamp issue, it looks like a classic color wheel sync problem. DLP color wheels have a detector to keep the timing of the DLP chip in sync with the color wheel position. If the sensor fails, or more likely dirt builds up on the hub of the color wheel where the position mark is usually placed, the position may become difficult to read accurately. Initial problems would be occasional color shifts that should continue to get more frequent. The wheel may even buzz or whine trying to switch speeds at the same time as the false color events occur. Eventually the projector will just shut down and probably report a lamp failure or similar problem, but that is not really what is wrong.

Search elsewhere on the forum for color wheel problems and you should find similar information. Some people claim to have fixed this problem by cleaning the hub or the area around the position mark, but doing that requires some degree of competence in disassembling a projector, and getting it back together safely.

·
Registered
563 Posts
this is true...same thing happened with mine and it seems to be dust build up....what i did was hold my vacume up to the side vents and it would then work

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting the same thing on my just over 4 year old HD70 (on second bulb). Will give the vacuum on the vents trick a try tonight and see if that helps. Otherwise wondering if I should open it up and try a more indepth cleaning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts