AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some other positives about the Optoma set include a user menu with more video options than most televisions. Each setting is input specific also. There is no glare on the screen which is also a huge plus. I saw a few at CEDIA and the DVD's looked great through component video. At the Texas Instruments booth they were displaying ABC's high definition which was one of the best pictures I saw on a DLP. Texas Instruments did adjust video settings on their set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Optoma sets will become more and more prevailant as the company matures. New companies have to start a track record before many will even consider them. I know I will be selling them in NC.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Starpower, a high end home theater store in Addison Texas (Dallas area)

has them in stock. They have had the RD-50 almost a month, and received their first shipment of RD-65's this week. They have them on their display

floor.

I am very impressed with the RD-65. They were showing a basketball game on HDnet and the picture quality was outstanding! The black level was almost equal to a Pioneer Elite CRT they had on display. It blew away the Sony LCD's, and to me looked better than the Samsung 61" dlp's I have seen.

It has a DVI input but is not HDCP compliant, they called Optoma while I was there and was told a firmware update would be available within 6 months, that would include HDCP.

I had decided to buy the Samsung 61" but now I'm not sure, that 65" Optoma sure looked good. They quoted me $5700. for the RD-65, but I think they would come off that. Seriously considering it, would appreciate

any comments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt you will be able to get a much better price. The Samsung sets look more attractive from the outside, but I am going to put my money where the picture is. It is all about picture quality. Their sets are software upgradable, so the HDCP will not be an issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finally a review for the optoma, thanks greg 3278. Just have two questions, does anybody know if the optoma has a vga monitor in or just the two dvi's, and are the dvi's streight digital or are they converted. Thanks for the info and good review.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem JP420.

The optoma set does have a VGA input. I believe the DVI is a straight input but do not quote me. That is something I will have to look into. Regardless the pictures I saw using DVI was awesome. They do use the DVDO 504 deinterlacer and the Opulus scaler in their sets. All seem to do a wonderful job.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Optoma is not a new company. In fact, they are something of a veteran in their field. That's a good thing.

It is a mistake to believe they will ever have any meaningful retail distribution. In fact, they will not.

That doesn't mean the product isn't great.

I choose not to patronize Optoma for reasons unrelated to distribution or to product quality. Instead, for me, it's about attitude -- or lack thereof.

Oh, and if you are getting a promise of HDCP, you need it in writing. Otherwise it's words. Look at the JVC SX-21 fiasco for instruction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True Optoma isnt a new company, but they have no track record with television sets. They may not be that prevailant for a while because dealers cannot make that much money on them, so there is not a high demand. Problems I have had with Optoma is more communication than anything. As a dealer it can be frusterating, but a consumer will not run into these problems. Since you can get service for the set there is not much to worry about. All televisions have their goods and bads. When it comes down to it, it is all about personal preference. I do like their picture quality a lot, and all of the options they give you, but as a personal preference I will hold out for a thin bezel Samsung, more for cosmetic looks than anything since the picture quality is about the same. I will say that after calibrating many Samsungs recently I have found that picture quality can improve considerably out of the box. I will have to wait and see what kind of improvements I can get out of the Optoma.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Who said the Optoma's have 2 DVI inputs? I could be wrong, but I don't

think the RD-65 I saw yesterday had 2 DVI's. It does have a vga input but it is on the front of the tv behind a small door.

The Optoma 65" is small for a 65" TV. Height of 50" compared to

57" for the Samsung 61" (including the Samsung stand)

Nice piano black cabinet, much like the Pioneer Elites.

Cabinet is on rubber wheels very easy to move.

My main concern is their " Precision Pixel matching PPM technology for 1:1 scan conversion". I am not sure the DVI will accept 720P without converting it like the RCA's. I cannot get an answer on this, does anyone know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.