AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I got hung up watching three chapters of 24 in the backyard. Movie Time was displayed on a 100" DIY/blackout cloth screen. We couldn't get enough of it. We could smoke cigars and drink wine with impuneity.

I'll do a formal review soon, but for starters this machine is too cool for words. It's incredibly bright and rich with color and contrast. This puppy is grayscale tuned. The speaker sound is excellent also. Plug & Play all the way. Take it with you to a hotel, take it camping, take it on your yacht.

Review later

Oh before you ask. It's better than the H31, allot better. Key thing being brightness and contrast. I'm not up on foot candle conversions but I got 25.5foot candles at a 92"X52" screen. That's allot higher than the Dark Chip3 got. Probably up near the 1,000 lumens level.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
thanks tom.

how does black level and shadow details fair on this bright puppy? how far was it set up from the screen?

how about audio...this is not computer speakers sound, is it?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an H27 but with the 7 segment wheel which makes for the high brightness. Black/shadow detail is excellent. It has RGB/RGB adjustments the the H27 doesn't have, but the darn thing is already tuned wonderfully.

9ft gives you a 92"wide 106" diagonal image. Everybody's going to be surprised how nice movies sound. Crystal clear and articulate, speakers are at the back angled outward. There's a sudo surround sound effect. Decent bass but there's a subwoofer jack on the panel, a mini plug. I'll get a RCA to mini plug adaptor and try it with my HSU.

Oh I absolutely have to have one of these.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Pretty cool. Does it come with a carrying case?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the carry case has MOVIETIME writtin large across it, inside are pockets to hold the cord and remote. I plan to doing a Shrek or Nemo showing Saturday evening in the front of the house. Should create a stir.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like i will be ordering H27 tomorrow then, unless DV10 is really THAT good then i could sell my DVD and get DV10... can't wait to see upscaled shots, if you plan to make such of course.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super high offset like the H27 (57%) but a much shorter zoom range. I had to be 14' back with the H27 at full zoom to do the same screen size, 9ft back with the DV10.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Glad you finally got one in to review guitarman. Look forward to more observations. You gonna bring it inside to setup and post the usual screenshots?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzon /forum/post/0

Looks like i will be ordering H27 tomorrow then, unless DV10 is really THAT good then i could sell my DVD and get DV10... can't wait to see upscaled shots, if you plan to make such of course.

yeah, i wonder how it compares to an H27/Oppo combo? since i think the built in dvd only does 480p.

this DV10 with the Graywolf will work wonderfully, i bet...

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bring it inside, funny. It will be tuff but I have to.

The player is doing 854X480 1.1 pixel match, plus no wires in the digital domain. There's an aspect choice called 1.1 pixel match. Looks like I was at 40Ftl off the 106" graywolf screen. If you like bright this is it. I think I'd suggest a darker screen for this projector or ND filters.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
How's the noise factor Tom? Does she whisper or scream?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very quiet at 27db. I had the projector 2ft in front of me on a coffee table, didn't notice the fan sound plus this made the speaker sound close up and personal.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0

I'm not up on foot candle conversions but I got 25.5foot candles at a 92"X52" screen. That's allot higher than the Dark Chip3 got. Probably up near the 1,000 lumens level.

One foot candle = One lumen per square foot therefore 25.5 fc equates to 850 lumens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is this projector worth considering over the H31? I was considering the H31 and plan to ceiling mont it, so does the DV10 work well with a ceiling mount since it has a large offset?

Also can the builting dvd player work upsidedown ?

Dan

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I expect if you ceiling mounted the DV10 the DVD would fall out into your popcorn - not pretty. It's a tabletop only thing.

1 - 20 of 431 Posts