AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 2949 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Order placed. No taxes for Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No taxes in Florida when ordering from them? I live in Florida and I'm going to wait for some reviews to come out but I know where I'm ordering it from if I do. That'll save me a couple hundred bucks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sadly, fine print says up to 1,500,00 to 1
What fine print? It quotes 1,500,000 to 1 on the LG site AND projector screen.com. And ALL contrast would be "up to" whether written or not. Sounds like the dream machine for me (but don't they all before they're released). My only question is with the ultra short throw PJ's is are they limited in screen size not by brightness but distortion.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Wow- impressive contrast 1,500,000 to 1!
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but manufacturer contrast ratings are ALWAYS overrated. Take with a grain of salt. Real world would probably be less than 3,000:1 if we're lucky.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but manufacturer contrast ratings are ALWAYS overrated. Take with a grain of salt. Real world would probably be less than 3,000:1 if we're lucky.
Even when they're being honest, the ratings are for theoretically ideal environments (and settings). Real world will always be less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is a silly "what if," because the P1 isn't out yet, but if we were to pretend price wasn't a factor, is there any expectation that the P1 will outperform the Dell S718QL? I'm trying to wrap my head around what the best projector is for my budget/use case and it certainly seems like the S718QL is brighter than even the new LG HU85LA. The only downside I can see is input lag on the Dell, but otherwise it seems like it might be the better choice for a TV replacement in a location with a fair amount of ambient light.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Was curious to find out whether any DLP front projector manufacturers will be attending IFA, Berlin early September or the subsequent CEDIA in Denver, Colorado.

Except for Acer at IFA, BenQ, Optoma and Vivitek will NOT be present at the above mentioned fairs. :(

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know this is a silly "what if," because the P1 isn't out yet, but if we were to pretend price wasn't a factor, is there any expectation that the P1 will outperform the Dell S718QL? I'm trying to wrap my head around what the best projector is for my budget/use case and it certainly seems like the S718QL is brighter than even the new LG HU85LA. The only downside I can see is input lag on the Dell, but otherwise it seems like it might be the better choice for a TV replacement in a location with a fair amount of ambient light.
The Dell is a first generation UST design, the P1 is a second generation with better glass optics.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Dell is a first generation UST design, the P1 is a second generation with better glass optics.
I was reading a review on Projector Review about the new LG HU85LA and it said the upcoming Optoma P1 uses a dual laser design like the LG...

Is the P1 single or dual laser? If it's dual, I'm assuming no color wheel?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
A well implemented laser dimming algorithm can show very high on/off CRs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
What Tuan said, plus if an authentic home theater experience is what you're after then you'll get better contrast and colors (and color calibration) with the Optoma.

Reactions: ProjectionHead

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I was reading a review on Projector Review about the new LG HU85LA and it said the upcoming Optoma P1 uses a dual laser design like the LG...

Is the P1 single or dual laser? If it's dual, I'm assuming no color wheel?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
P1 is single laser WITH color wheel but it's one of the only UST projectors that I have heard of that use dynamic laser dimming, so the contrast measurements (if done right) should be phenomenal. Colors would be better than pretty much all of the Chinese manufacturers and Optoma has stated 90% of DCI P3 coverage and you'll have better CMS tools to adjust the color to your liking.

Definitely in a "best-bang-for-your-buck" category for UST projectors.

Reactions: dreamstate and ZAPH

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
A well implemented laser dimming algorithm can show very high on/off CRs.
I concur (Optoma Z65 anyone?), but not in the millions, tens of thousands maybe. We'll see.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anyone know if Optoma P1 speakers can function as independent center speaker, since I will use AV receiver to drive all the other surround speakers. Can I couple directly to the P1 speakers connecting AV receiver output terminals?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would be amazing if we could use this as a center speaker - but i have a feeling all of the channels need to be managed together from a receiver that separates all the channels.

Does anyone know the distance the projector needs to be to project 120 inches? i saw its about 10 inches for 100 inches.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Does anyone know if Optoma P1 speakers can function as independent center speaker, since I will use AV receiver to drive all the other surround speakers. Can I couple directly to the P1 speakers connecting AV receiver output terminals?

While the idea is intriguing and would be somewhat innovative and rather clever (Optoma, you're listening?) the previously released specifications do not suggest such a possibility because the necessary input jacks are missíng. :(

It's a "Dolby Digital 2.0 soundbar", so it appears to be limited to stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was browsing videos about the Optoma P1 on youtube and in some video somewhere, the guy doing the promotion was asked this exact question, and he answered no.

241 - 260 of 2949 Posts