AVS Forum banner

3661 - 3680 of 3735 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I receive my HDfury Arcana.
First I remind before the P1, my last VP was Benq HT3550, with the same managment I met 0 issue about Edid and color matching.
I have the same problem than lot of people :
1 - sometimes VP didn't go back to SDR when HDR content is stopped, so SDR looks oversaturated (all device except BD player)
2 - EDID problem : Video (only Shield TV and Fire TV too)
3 - Many black screen at startup for EDID to get good image setting. (Shield TV is the worse)
4 - Split screen when many siwtch EDID and scaling hdmi.

This is my managment :

When HDfury is add on my setup, issue 1, 2 and 3 are totally solved. I did more than 50 content matching SDR/HDR, Optoma never fail to go in HDR and come back to SDR normally. Before, maybe 1/3 times he never comes back to SDR.
Split screen issue is still here and appear sometimes randomly but mostly while switching from 4K to 3D mode.
Shield TV EDID and color matching issue are solved but randomly, optoma got lost of signal and flickering only with shield TV. Maybe I used a bad HDMI cable for this test.

At the end of this test, I think it's really an Optoma P1 issue on EDID setup. HDFury is scaling instead of projector and there is no problem. Without HDfury there is many issue.
It's like timing delay fail when EDID signal is send. I don't know why but sometimes Projector don't recognize or don't receive EDID signal matching when we use a power Amp.

So in fact, I will return my HDFury to get my money back and buy a cheaper EDID switch because Arcana is a high end prodcut used for eArc. Do you have a model to advise ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I receive my HDfury Arcana.
First I remind before the P1, my last VP was Benq HT3550, with the same managment I met 0 issue about Edid and color matching.
I have the same problem than lot of people :
1 - sometimes VP didn't go back to SDR when HDR content is stopped, so SDR looks oversaturated (all device except BD player)
2 - EDID problem : Video (only Shield TV and Fire TV too)
3 - Many black screen at startup for EDID to get good image setting. (Shield TV is the worse)
4 - Split screen when many siwtch EDID and scaling hdmi.

This is my managment :
View attachment 3110513
When HDfury is add on my setup, issue 1, 2 and 3 are totally solved. I did more than 50 content matching SDR/HDR, Optoma never fail to go in HDR and come back to SDR normally. Before, maybe 1/3 times he never comes back to SDR.
Split screen issue is still here and appear sometimes randomly but mostly while switching from 4K to 3D mode.
Shield TV EDID and color matching issue are solved but randomly, optoma got lost of signal and flickering only with shield TV. Maybe I used a bad HDMI cable for this test.

At the end of this test, I think it's really an Optoma P1 issue on EDID setup. HDFury is scaling instead of projector and there is no problem. Without HDfury there is many issue.
It's like timing delay fail when EDID signal is send. I don't know why but sometimes Projector don't recognize or don't receive EDID signal matching when we use a power Amp.

So in fact, I will return my HDFury to get my money back and buy a cheaper EDID switch because Arcana is a high end prodcut used for eArc. Do you have a model to advise ?
thanks for the info so hdfury fixed all the issues? If you find a better edid switch please post it and let me know also looking!

·
Registered
69 Posts
One other thing to consider with the HDFury Arcana is it allows using Dolby Vision (LLDV) where you can set the luminance level (I have mine set at 600 nits). This effectively turns the projector into one that can accept a Dolby Vision signal with dynamic metadata rather than only accepting HDR with static metadata. For me alone that was worth the cost of the HDFury as I also do not use the eARC feature it also provides.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One other thing to consider with the HDFury Arcana is it allows using Dolby Vision (LLDV) where you can set the luminance level (I have mine set at 600 nits). This effectively turns the projector into one that can accept a Dolby Vision signal with dynamic metadata rather than only accepting HDR with static metadata. For me alone that was worth the cost of the HDFury as I also do not use the eARC feature it also provides.
Yes but I didn't try because on a projector with brightness and color limitation I think it's not useful. Maybe I'm wrong.
But at the moment most important for me is to find edid stability with this buggy projector.
So I will order new edid manager for 22EUR supporting 4k @60hz. I will report about this product soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was in contact with HD Fury and they told me that it was not worth getting it for that feature alone, so I understood that the visual impact isn't that noticeable.

Did you see that much of an improvement compared to HDR10?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes but I didn't try because on a projector with brightness and color limitation I think it's not useful. Maybe I'm wrong.
But at the moment most important for me is to find edid stability with this buggy projector.
So I will order new edid manager for 22EUR supporting 4k @60hz. I will report about this product soon.
Looking forward to this report I want to buy one also but not sure what kind and if it fixes the problem!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why would you guys buy another product to fix the issues from the current product when Optoma should have done so. A class action lawsuit should be filed. This company is a joke.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you see that much of an improvement compared to HDR10?
It depends on the content but in general I would say yes there are improvements, though like everything it’s only really noticeable on side by side comparisons. For example I had my projector calibrated and only when I switched the picture preset between calibrated vs non calibrated did I see what a difference it made. There is a huge thread on the Dolby vision trick here: Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors? Yes! For me on a projector that cost the amount it did, spending 150 dollars on the HDFury to get even a tiny improvement is worthwhile.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why would you guys buy another product to fix the issues from the current product when Optoma should have done so. A class action lawsuit should be filed. This company is a joke.
Optoma did not live up to our expectations for updates. We reported the various problems but with an update every 6 months, we are not ready to have a well optimized product.
So we have to resolve it by our own.
I made a big investment for this model in order to have a quality product, I cannot afford to pay another large sum to resolve these concerns.
By the way Optima should repair these issue but it is unfortunately not the case.

No news from optoma official.... at the height of their update development service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you have some time, details on the issue you are existing with banding please. :)

Service and Content (playback)? Resolution? Bit Depth?

Match Dynamic Range, on or off (we recommend off as on will force Dolby Vision if the content supports Dolby Vision -- incorrect bit depth will be used and poor color and some banding will occur).
There’s banding on faces and some skies where there are gradients.

Match dynamic range is off
Content is hotel Transylvania 3 and even the Home Screen icons on the Apple TV have some banding
Resolution is 2160p @24hz
Bit depth 12 bit & 4.2.2
App is Apple TV app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wrote more than 1 times that we need that Optoma extend our warranty, because otherwise this will expire before they solve something.

Nobody of you did support my request, how you think that we can have something if only a person request something that we must have?

Continue to spend money to fix problems if you are happy like this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wrote more than 1 times that we need that Optoma extend our warranty, because otherwise this will expire before they solve something.

Nobody of you did support my request, how you think that we can have something if only a person request something that we must have?

Continue to spend money to fix problems if you are happy like this.
I support your idea.
The patience has ran out.
We must spread the news about how Optoma marketed a flaw projector & cheated the consumer by proclaiming false news to sell the P1. And how Optoma discontinued P1 and push P2 to leave no product support.
That’s how unscrupulous Optoma is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There’s banding on faces and some skies where there are gradients.

Match dynamic range is off
Content is hotel Transylvania 3 and even the Home Screen icons on the Apple TV have some banding
Resolution is 2160p @24hz
Bit depth 12 bit & 4.2.2
App is Apple TV app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i was fighting banding issues for ages with my P1, ultimately it was caused by the color wheel being out of phase. It was not caused by Software, Resolution, Bitrate, Chroma depth/settings, HDR/SDR whatever anything else.
Raise a ticket with Optoma support, they usually send you some gradient test picture to confirm a color wheel issue. Its a easy fix for them but you have to send your unit to service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was fighting banding issues for ages with my P1, ultimately it was caused by the color wheel being out of phase. It was not caused by Software, Resolution, Bitrate, Chroma depth/settings, HDR/SDR whatever anything else.
Raise a ticket with Optoma support, they usually send you some gradient test picture to confirm a color wheel issue. Its a easy fix for them but you have to send your unit to service.
Go into the Service Menu:

Power Off - UP - DOWN - MENU (the 3 lines)

There is a rainbow pattern where you can see if you have a problem with the wheel or not.

3661 - 3680 of 3735 Posts