AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 2873 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
How bad is it? Can't even do casual gaming?

Casual gaming will be fine, it's more an issue for FPSes. Going from a 4ms monitor to my 25-30ms BenQ 1080ST was, well, not really an adjustment, you just ended up walking around a corner and already dead, or having to aim narrowly in front of a moving target to register hits, or being killed seemingly with one shot, but on reviewing the killcam, realizing you'd been hit 3 times. 60ms... not sure if that'll make FPSes unplayable... looking forward to some real-life reviews.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A few have asked about media stands. I've been looking for some low-and-long versions myself, so here's a few I found in US stores, from the swanky to the functional. :)

https://www.furniturecart.com/cloud-tv-base-179701-tv-jm-furniture.html

https://www.furniturecart.com/trieste-modern-tv-base-18090-jm-furniture.html

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/williston-forge-stowmarket-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-75-w000932047.html?piid=33577926
(I went for this one due to having more space for more kit.)

And this one may be too tall for most...
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/17-stories-joetta-tv-stand-78-stss1106.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I’m not doubting that this is the spec sheet and accurate, but seems odd that it would require twice the distance from the wall to the back of the unit as the LG (7.2 vs. 14.5). I get that different ratios, lenses, whatever could be used, but double? Just seems odd.

For reference, see page 28 of the LG manual: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=TKy1kbZf0zZ0VI28Ff64fQ
It's accurate. The LG has a more expensive lens which allows it to be closer to the screen than Optoma, which is half the cost of the LG.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A few have asked about media stands. I've been looking for some low-and-long versions myself, so here's a few I found in US stores, from the swanky to the functional. :)

https://www.furniturecart.com/cloud-tv-base-179701-tv-jm-furniture.html

https://www.furniturecart.com/trieste-modern-tv-base-18090-jm-furniture.html

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/williston-forge-stowmarket-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-75-w000932047.html?piid=33577926
(I went for this one due to having more space for more kit.)

And this one may be too tall for most...
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/17-stories-joetta-tv-stand-78-stss1106.html
Do people recommend buying media stand first or screen first?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It's accurate. The LG has a more expensive lens which allows it to be closer to the screen than Optoma, which is half the cost of the LG.
I don't know where you think the lens in the LG is "more expensive" just because it has a different throw ratio? That was just a choice in optics, doesn't make it more expensive, just different.

Interestingly, Optoma actually advertises they have an all glass lens of high(er) quality and LG doesn't so if anything I would tend to think that the Optoma has a more expensive lens.

Let's stick with the facts.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I’m not doubting that this is the spec sheet and accurate, but seems odd that it would require twice the distance from the wall to the back of the unit as the LG (7.2 vs. 14.5). I get that different ratios, lenses, whatever could be used, but double? Just seems odd.

For reference, see page 28 of the LG manual: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=TKy1kbZf0zZ0VI28Ff64fQ
The difference in price comes from the 3 lasers the LG unit uses; one for blue, one for red and then another blue one that emits through phosphor for green. The lasers themselves are the most expensive component and since the LG has 3 vs 1, that's where the "real" price difference comes from, not the lens.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The difference in price comes from the 3 lasers the LG unit uses; one for blue, one for red and then another blue one that emits through phosphor for green. The lasers themselves are the most expensive component and since the LG has 3 vs 1, that's where the "real" price difference comes from, not the lens.
I thought LG was two laser, not three am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I thought LG was two laser, not three am I wrong?
2 blue and one red, they advertise as 2 (red and blue) but it's actually 3 in use that's why this UST projector doesn't need a color wheel. There are true three laser UST projectors on the horizon (one red, one green, one blue) from Hisense, but it's double the price of this LG plus some. More lasers=more price.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2 blue and one red, they advertise as 2 (red and blue) but it's actually 3 in use that's why this UST projector doesn't need a color wheel. There are true three laser UST projectors on the horizon (one red, one green, one blue) from Hisense, but it's double the price of this LG plus some. More lasers=more price.
Ahhh, hmm now I'm starting to wonder if I made a rushed decision by going with Optoma...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Ahhh, hmm now I'm starting to wonder if I made a rushed decision by going with Optoma...
The Optoma will be no slouch, I'd be willing to bet it's the best single blue laser on the market when it's released. They have the only known laser modulated Dynamic Black enhancement in a UST, they will have 1000% better audio (if that's important), they also support HLG HDR which the LG doesn't. Pure speculation but I'd be willing to bet you'll get at least 80% of the visual performance from the Optoma as the LG but for half the price. That's a pretty respectable trade off if you ask me.

If you look at the review for the LG on projectorreviews.com, you'll note that the calibrator wasn't too happy with the DCI-P3 color implementation because the red was too hot and the other colors didn't quite get there. One of the reasons dual lasers is the bees knees is because of the expanded color gamut, so if LG messed that up, then it's really a moot point. The only other thing that the LG has going for it is the bigger DLP array (.66 vs .47) so the contrast should be better but projectorreviews.com doesn't really go into details or measurements about contrast so we'll have to wait and see on that front.

I think you'll be very happy with the Optoma if everything pans out.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I don't know where you think the lens in the LG is "more expensive" just because it has a different throw ratio? That was just a choice in optics, doesn't make it more expensive, just different.

Interestingly, Optoma actually advertises they have an all glass lens of high(er) quality and LG doesn't so if anything I would tend to think that the Optoma has a more expensive lens.

Let's stick with the facts.
1) I never stated it was the ONLY reason the LG was more expensive - "The LG has a more expensive lens which allows it to be closer to the screen than Optoma, which is half the cost of the LG."

2) I was told directly by Optoma regarding the cost of the lenses between the two units. I would assume that they know their facts regarding the cost of the building materials and components better than you or I.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I stated a fact told to me directly by Optoma.
But you were discussing the lens on the LG when you made that claim, were you confused or did you misunderstand the topic?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
But you were discussing the lens on the LG when you made that claim, were you confused or did you misunderstand the topic?
I edited and clarified my statement in post 455 while you wrote this reply. Look up ^^^
;)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
1) I never stated it was the ONLY reason the LG was more expensive - "The LG has a more expensive lens which allows it to be closer to the screen than Optoma, which is half the cost of the LG."

2) I was told directly by Optoma regarding the cost of the lenses between the two units. I would assume that they know their facts regarding the cost of the building materials and components better than you or I.
1. No one is debating whether or not you said it was the only reason but you were specifically referring to the lens as cost related factor as was I. At the end of the day, the cost of the UST lens is nominal compared the remainder of the components, so mentioning it is "more expensive" isn't really relative.

2. Even if they know the wholesale manufacturer price, that doesn't take into consideration bulk pricing, manufacturer discounts and a whole host of variables that come into play on the "real" cost to LG, so it's just as much a guess to Optoma as it would be to me or you because we can look those wholesale prices up too.

But the burning question of the day is why the hell would your contact even make a statement like that about a competitor that already has a one up on their product? I think whomever your communicating with at Optoma is probably in marketing or janitorial, kind of hard to decide. LMAO 😲

Moving on...

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
1. No one is debating whether or not you said it was the only reason but you were specifically referring to the lens as cost related factor as was I. At the end of the day, the cost of the UST lens is nominal compared the remainder of the components, so mentioning it is "more expensive" isn't really relative.

2. Even if they know the wholesale manufacturer price, that doesn't take into consideration bulk pricing, manufacturer discounts and a whole host of variables that come into play on the "real" cost to LG, so it's just as much a guess to Optoma as it would be to me or you because we can look those wholesale prices up too.

But the burning question of the day is why the hell would your contact even make a statement like that about a competitor that already has a one up on their product? I think whomever your communicating with at Optoma is probably in marketing or janitorial, kind of hard to decide. LMAO 😲

Moving on...
Optoma is owned by Coretronic, an OEM projector manufacturer which provides products for many projector brands in addition to their own.

The "janitors" that I speak to understand the costs involved in the manufacturing of their products and how it affects their intended price point by including/taking away/modifying components and features.

I'm, honestly not sure what is trying to be proved here, I'm happy to be moving on with you.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
@ ProjectionHead
Now that you’ve had this for a while have you had an opportunity to calibrate it, shoot anymore videos? I’m sure there are lots of folks that would like to see what this puppy can do.

Reactions: dreamstate

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
2 blue and one red, they advertise as 2 (red and blue) but it's actually 3 in use that's why this UST projector doesn't need a color wheel.

https://www.quora.com/What-color-does-blue-and-red-make

Scratching my head trying to understand how to get green from mixing blue and red, but apparently that somehow works with the P1. :confused:

Interesting that the LG will also be using the larger 0.66" DMD, so that's another one next to Acer and Vivitek.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
https://www.quora.com/What-color-does-blue-and-red-make

Scratching my head trying to understand how to get green from mixing blue and red, but apparently that somehow works with the P1. :confused:

Interesting that the LG will also be using the larger 0.66" DMD, so that's another one next to Acer and Vivitek.
LOL they don't mix the blue and red laser to make green, the additional blue laser is ran through a yellow phosphor to make green (blue + yellow=green), same on the P1, but a color wheel AND a yellow phosphor is used.

Reactions: Frank714

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do people recommend buying media stand first or screen first?

I think people recommend measuring first! :)

I have a nice blank wall that I'll eventually paint once I have a new 4k projector, but I needed a new media stand as I've just moved, and all my kit's on the floor :)

441 - 460 of 2873 Posts