AVS Forum banner

Optoma Projector Owners, have you ever had a service issue with your projector?

• Yes I've had a service problem

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • No, it's been trouble free

Votes: 29 58.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read this forum for years now and I see so many complaints about Optoma reliability and service issues that I've been scared off. I almost bought an HD81 after seeing it at CES 2006. But all their problems on both projector forums gave me a lot of concern. Luckily, I hope, the JVC RS-1 came along just in time.

I'd really like to find out that the vast majority of Optoma owners have had no problems and it's only a small minority that have had such bad luck. There are a lot of things to like about their product offerings and their participation on the forum. But what are the facts in the aggregate? A curious mind wants to know.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just exchanged my HD81 and VXP processor due to banding and artifacts that developed

after around 150 hours. Apparently Optoma does not do warranty repairs, but exchanges

the units due to a lack of manpower. For non-warranty repairs, customers need to call a

different number. I'd like to know how non-warranty repairs are handled as far as turn around time and rates. Right now I'm happy I have a three year warranty, because even though I live within 30 minutes of Optoma USA, I found the exchange process to be difficult with service never calling back as promised, so non-warranty repairs are more of a concern to me.

ON EDIT: My Optoma issue was most likely a problem with the processor chip set, which is provided to Optoma from another manufacturer, as is common for

processor/scaler solutions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
43% service problem rate so far is very scarey although response is small.

How do they stay in business?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only 9 responders? It couldn't be a simpler poll.

As I go through the Optoma threads it's like a bad, multi-car accident.

Why do people keep buying low reliability products?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've posted this poll in both the under and over $3K forums and have only 19 responders in total.

If I combine the results, 32% of Optoma users have reported a service problem. The percentages are roughly equal whether the price was below or above $3K suggesting that paying more does not bring better quality control.

I can't believe that the problem level is that high. Who would ever buy any appliance where they could expect a 33% chance that their purchase would need service?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I considered the HD81 as well, specially the newer version, but the thought of having to deal with bulb issues, warranty repair, non-warranty repairs, bugged firmware, etc, scared me off.

I tend to believe that that percentage overall, of all owners/pjs sold, is pretty small, but there sure have been a lot of posts, by a lot of different people, on these boards about issues with Optoma PJs.

Thankfully, I got in on the RS1 prebuy before thanksgiving, too. 8)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have had a few problems with my projectors since owning Optoma products. However, everytime I've had an issue, I could not have asked for more out of the customer service. They were outstanding each time. This is enough to keep me as a customer (even though I'm always cursing under my breath everytime I need to mount and unmount my projector when there is a problem)

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
OH I love this poll on Optoma reliability. Let me tell this...

I am an AV dealer and I used to be 100% loyal to the OPTOMA Brand, Hell I have an H77 in my own theater that now after 2 years is acting up more and more on me.

I have sold almost ever one of there units from the H30 all the way to H79 and HD7100 machines.

Let me tell you that EVERY ONE of the projectors I have sold and one that I didn't sell and replaced for a client HAS HAD A PROBLEM after initial sale about 1 year after the install. Problems have varied and the units have gone back to OPTOMA at least 2 X to get it repaired correctly.

Because of this I DO NOT SELL, CARRY, SUPPORT OPTOMA products any more. I have talked to 2 of my reps and guess what they say? They don't even want to carry their products any more. I stopped by the OPTOMA booth this year at CES to see what other unreliable products they will be coming out with. Sure the projector in the booth looked outstanding but I will never sell one to any one.

I didn't even talk to any one from OPTOMA at CES because they are just interested in selling junk. They have the know how to make amazing looking projectors they just don't get them 100% right when the come out with a new model. If they can get reliability down they will be the best machines on the market.

It makes you wonder why they can sell a projector that looks better then most on the market for far less then any one else. Maybe it the reliability??????

I have had 2 OPTOMAS not respond to the remote control once turned on. They turn on via remote but wont turn off. Optoma has repaired one and a week later it's doing the same thing. After 2 weeks at optoma and a repair they now say it must be the remote. But they originally told me the remote was ok. OK so what the hell is really wrong and what did they fix then?

My H77 is starting to do this now. That's OK it will be replaced by the soon to come JVC 1080p DILA....That will solve that problem!

Sorry OPTOMA, you just aint right

I now sell MITSUBISHI Projectors. I have not had ONE problem since dropping OPTOMA and going MITSUBISHI...I wonder why?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of 43 total self-reported Optoma owners, 17 (40%) have had a service issue.

Posted in the Under $3K forum.

"Fleaman, I'm sorry for your troubles. What I don't understand is why someone like yourself (or myself for that matter) who had an unresolved service issue would buy another Optoma projector. I am not being critical. I am just curious.

Are we projector users so atypically bleeding-edge that we're used to being abused by manufacturers? I know I have been especially in home networking gear and software that over promises and under delivers.

I can tell from your post that they failed their last chance you gave them but I'm curious as to the allure they have to get so many people to risk the many problems they've had historically from all the malfunction horror stories to the early and repeated bulb failures on one of their models.

I had a nice email chat with Tzung Lin from Optoma about the HD81 and I enjoyed meeting their sales people at CES 2006, but the horror stories abound about poor reliability and frequent performance issues.

The most recent numbers from the Poll in both forums are:

Above $3000 Respondents %

Yes I've had a service problem 12 44.44%

No, it's been trouble free 15 55.56%

Below $3000

Yes I've had a service problem 5 31.25%

No, it's been trouble free 11 68.75%

Total

Yes I've had a service problem 17 40%

No, it's been trouble free 26 60%

While I agree with Biersy that this is far from scientific, the number of problems as a % of the total would be very troubling to me if I were CEO of that company.

PS I don't know why the post doesn't maintain the formating I used."

·
Registered
35 Posts
I owned Optoma data projector EP757 for 3 years and twice I had to send it to England from Finland to be repaired because of bulb problems. I was fortunate to buy that from a good local dealer who gave me a replacement unit while mine was over a month in England! Actually, the seller kind of warned me between the lines when I was buying that projector, but I only understood that later when there were problems. Then Optoma released HD81 and again I was tempted with 1080p DLP at so low price. Now that I have used it for a month there has been some minor glitches but overall I have been happy. 3 year warranty made the choice a little bit more comfortable for me. When I buy my next projector in about 3-5 years, I will probably try some other brand, because I have now understood the secret behind Optoma's cheap prices.

Kari

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sample size of 49 is getting more meaningful and still those who've had self-reported service problems equal 39% of the total!

Can anyone think of another manufacturer who would have such a negative reliability report? (Of course there is Samsung's Joe Kane model that's infamous!!!)

If these were TVs or other consumer electronics would anyone ever buy from a company with such a poor track record?

Above $3K Forum

Yes I've had a service problem 14 45.16%

No, it's been trouble free 17 54.84%

Below $3k Forum

Yes I've had a service problem 5 27.78%

No, it's been trouble free 13 72.22%

Total

Yes I've had a service problem 19 39%

No, it's been trouble free 30 61%

·
Registered
614 Posts
Lylepdx,

While I find this poll interesting as an Optoma owner, I'm beginning to think you have an anti-Optoma agenda. Comments like, "How do they stay in business?" and, "It's like a bad multi-car accident", hurt your credibility, IMO.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff, I really don't have an agenda against Optoma. I'm just astounded by our tolerance for problems in this segment. I'm curious because I was president of a $500,000,000 division at Quaker Oats and chief marketing officer for Gatorade and Snapple North America. I was then CEO of a small, public consumer products company. I have been a marketeer my whole professional career and product quality was always a chief concern. I'm trying to understand our willingness to pay relatively large dollars for products with significant performance issues. I could have chosen another manufacturer but Optoma captured my attention because I almost purchased the HD81. I was scared off by all their issues stated in that thread and by their lamp problems with a model number I don't remember. I'm equally apalled by Sony's convergence issues on the Pearl and Samsung's Joe Kane debacle. Motorola for instance started the six sigma defect rate which is an error rate significantly below what we tolerate from many manufacturers.

From Wikipedia "Six Sigma is a business improvement methodology, originally developed by Motorola to systematically improve processes by eliminating defects.[1] Defects are defined as units that are not members of the intended population. The objective of Six Sigma is to deliver high performance, reliability, and value to the end customer. Since it was originally developed, Six Sigma has enjoyed wide popularity as an important element of many Total Quality Management (TQM) initiatives.

The process was pioneered by Bill Smith at Motorola in 1986[2] and was originally defined[3] as a metric for measuring defects and improving quality, and a methodology to reduce defect levels below 3.4 Defects Per (one) Million Opportunities (DPMO), or put another way, a methodology of controlling a process to the point of plus or minus six sigma (standard deviations) from a centerline (for a total span of twelve sigma). Six Sigma has now grown beyond defect control. It is now commonly used to obtain detailed information regarding customer, employee and shareholder demands and then using this information to improve process and product design."

I believe we as consumers vote with our dollars and as we support under performing manufacturers we perpetuate the abuse they heap on us. Do you know where we can get good reliability numbers by manufacturer in this category because I'd love to see some more representative data. Absent that we can only count on each other. We're on the same side.

My editorial comment regarding Optoma's business succes is only from a perspective of intellectual curiosity. I do believe that if their problem rate is anywhere near the numbers reported here that they will eventually either have to improve their quality control or go out of business. I'm really indifferent to them as I would never buy one of their products now unless forum feedback was both substantial and pristine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This poll will close on 02-02-07 at 06:16 PM

63 self-reported users have now voted across the 2 forums.

23 of those respondents reported having a service problem (36.5%)

Surprisingly, the problems were more likely if someone purchased the more expensive projectors where 46% reported a problem compared to 23% of the lower priced projectors.

I guess we front projector owners have a high tolerance for disappointment and/or risk!

Yes I've had a service problem 17 45.95%

No, it's been trouble free 20 54.05%

Yes I've had a service problem 6 23.08%

No, it's been trouble free 20 76.92%

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Optoma owners be heard!!

Bad bulbs, post.

BaD service, post.

Keep other s from feeling your pain or if happy help others decide Optoma is a safe and great choice!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
My vote of "needed service" was due to the dreaded bulb issue on my H79. I actually got a hot swap from Optoma but the bulb they sent me in that was either used or poorly manufactured (only 338 lumens new?). The remote control is also very unresponsive but that's typical I guess and I've also had the unit freeze up on me a couple of times while using the power zoom with no recourse other than to shut it off and turn it back on. Since I never do that I was basically forced to stop watching for the evening.

The most recent oddity is that it seems something in the scaler has gone buggy (the hot swap is now almost 1 year old). With a 1080i component input the whole image is constantly shifting up and down by one pixel. You can't see this on moving video but you can sure see it on the nice crisp menu's on HD DVD and even on the edges of the black bars on 2.35:1 movies. It does not do it with 480P or 720P which I'm using now. I haven't checked it on DVI but I can't use that due to the black crush problem with the Tosh HDA1. Also, the blue start-up screen with the Optoma logo is now displayed in a 4:3 window (even with the pj set to 16:9) with the circle in the logo all squished up like an egg. WTF is up with that?

If I sent this thing in for every problem I've had with it I'd have spent a fortune in shipping, never have it in my possession and most likely have it damaged in shipping.

Be smart people....Optoma pj's are unreliable and buggy and they fail to even admit to having a bulb issue with the H7X series. That's pathetic. Buyer beware!

Brent

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylepdx /forum/post/0

I've read this forum for years now and I see so many complaints about Optoma reliability and service issues that I've been scared off. I almost bought an HD81 after seeing it at CES 2006. But all their problems on both projector forums gave me a lot of concern. Luckily, I hope, the JVC RS-1 came along just in time.

I'd really like to find out that the vast majority of Optoma owners have had no problems and it's only a small minority that have had such bad luck. There are a lot of things to like about their product offerings and their participation on the forum. But what are the facts in the aggregate? A curious mind wants to know.

I have had my HD81 for over a month now and have had no issues. Wonderful picture. Raves from the crowds viewing!

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I win the prize on Optoma quality issues. They just sent me my SIXTH H79 this week. 2 of those were replacements that didn't fire up at all, 2 were bulb issues and 1 just started flashing in the light sections of the picture (and wasn't the bulb as i replaced it). The last was the proverbial straw and i went out and bought a pearl last weekend so I could make sure i had a functioning projector for my annual Super Bowl party. I'm hoping my brand new sealed box replacement sells on Ebay. I guess the good news is they never hassled me on the returns but 5 bad units is ridiculous (this is within 1 year).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.