AVS Forum banner

Optoma Projector Owners, have you ever had a service issue with your projector?

• Yes I've had a service problem

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No, it's been trouble free

Votes: 29 76.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Optoma Projector owners, have you ever had a need for service on your projector?

I posted this poll on the over $3000 forum first but have only had 7 responses and maybe this is the more appropriate forum. So far 43% have had service issues although the sample is small.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read this forum for years now and I've seen so many complaints about Optoma reliability and service issues that I've been scared off. I almost bought an HD81 after seeing it at CES 2006. But all their problems on both projector forums gave me a lot of concern. Luckily, I hope, the JVC RS-1 came along just in time.

I'd really like to find out that the vast majority of Optoma owners have had no problems and it's only a small minority that have had such bad luck. There are a lot of things to like about their product offerings and their participation on the forum. But what are the facts in the aggregate? A curious mind wants to know.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i had mine brought in a couple of months ago due to the lens i had. i bought a brand new one thru bb and saw how 'soft' the lens was. i was hesitant until i bought my oppo dvd player and tried to upscale some images.

not their fault entirely, just a matter of preference.

i live very close to their head office, and walked in to do it. no RMA or anything, although they suggested i do that the next time i encountered problems. great service though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
face it, FPs can be trouble. they are more delicate than a standard TV set.

Optoma products are NO LESS reliable than any other company's FPs. in fact, they might be a tad more reliable, if anything.

ive owned: Optoma H31, Optoma HD70

never had any problems whatsoever, let alone anything that would require service.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I haven't ever bought an Optoma projector, but I did buy a graywolf screen, and the customer service was beyond horrible. It took me over 6 weeks, ~15 phone calls, ~10 emails, and at least a half dozen faxes to get an RMA number. Blatant lies that they didn't get my information over and over. When I got a second screen, it also had damage to the material. I don't doubt the quality of their product, but their customer service and quality _control_ really blows. It left enough of an impression on my mind to never consider one of their FPs over the competition, sadly enough.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far the response is underwhelming but the few results posted suggest that the Optoma engineers and sales folks are very nice to deal with but their projectors and screen have a high frequency of problems and their customer service leaves a great deal to be desired.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a dead pixel issue on arrival. Service staff were polite and helpful (US and Canadian). I was immediately provided with a RMA number. Within 36 hours I had a new replacement projector (Vancouver - Toronto - Vancouver). Excellent service.

Peter

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've posted this poll in both the under and over $3K forums and have only 19 responders in total.

If I combine the results, 32% of Optoma users have reported a service problem. The percentages are roughly equal whether the price was below or above $3K suggesting that paying more does not bring better quality control.

I can't believe that the problem level is that high. Who would ever buy any appliance where they could expect a 33% chance that their purchase would need service?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have had an h31 for about 1.5 years. The first one had a dust blob but they replaced it, no questions asked. This one has been absolutely trouble free!! Chad

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got an Optoma H57 a little more than a year ago, 700 hours on it now with no

trouble at all so far. There was actually a 3 year warranty card in the box when

the optoma web site stated 2 years. I sent an e-mail off to them and said "Which is it, 2 years or 3 years?" Their response was that it should be 2 years but since it was their mistake they would honor the 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think that you can look at the AVS Forum Crowd to base your opinion of a percentage of how many units have trouble. It is too small of a sample to validate that claim.

I have have not had any trouble with mine. I called Optoma one time when I was installing to ask a question and they took my call and answered it quickly and politely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've owned an Optoma projector for about a year now, without any problems. I know you are trying to form an opinion on reliability, but I think surveys like this are kind of useless. Of the tens of thousands of Optoma owners there are probably about one percent that read this forum and about ten percent of those readers that are going to reply. Unfortunately the people most likely to respond are those that have had problems. You could probably run a survey on any projector manufacturer and obtain similar results. I've seen as many questionable posts about Panasonic, Sanyo, Infocus, etc, as I've seen about Optoma. The reality is that most people that have a good experience with a product are never heard from and those that have bad experiences let everyone know. Nine times out of ten, the good outweigh the bad by a very large margin. Just my opinion, good luck with your survey.

Biersy

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I had an H30 that was returned/exchanged 4 times for the dreaded pwr supply buzzing problem. There was a large batch of H30's that buzzed and MANY on this forum had the same problem as I. The worst part was Optoma never admitting that this was a problem ("your the only one to complain of this!"), that they could not replicate the buzzing on their test bench (even though I could replicate it in 3 different houses), and to add insult to injury we would have Guitarman playing damage control by posting here counter arguments to every Optoma 'problem' posted.

Now, my boss got one of the earliest H30's and still has it today....no problems at all (although very low hrs...about 200hrs total!).

I had a chance to unload my buzzing H30 to a friend that would use it in a loud noise environment (buzzing wasn't an issue for him----yes, my buzzing H30 was never cured), and decided to take a chance on the H31 since reports here were good (no buzzing issues). I still have the H31 today, albeit with low hrs (about 300hrs). No problems with the H31 so far.

But, with the horror stories regarding lamp failures on the H79/H78DC3's and Optoma backpedaling way of handling it, guitarmans use of AVS to promote Optoma PJ's without a disclosure sig line, and the less than stellar performance and backward steps their projector lines have been moving in, have all convinced myself that a Optoma PJ is at the bottom of my list of future PJ's for an upgrade. Actually, it's not even on the list.

Fleaman

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had a power outage blow out my HD72, and had to send it in for service. Total turnaround time was about a little over a week. I love my 72 and don't regret buying it at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fleaman, I'm sorry for your troubles. What I don't understand is why someone like yourself (or myself for that matter) who had an unresolved service issue would buy another Optoma projector. I am not being critical. I am just curious.

Are we projector users so atypically bleeding-edge that we're used to being abused by manufacturers? I know I have been especially in home networking gear and software that over promises and under delivers.

I can tell from your post that they failed their last chance you gave them but I'm curious as to the allure they have to get so many people to risk the many problems they've had historically from all the malfunction horror stories to the early and repeated bulb failures on one of their models.

I had a nice email chat with Tzung Lin from Optoma about the HD81 and I enjoyed meeting their sales people at CES 2006, but the horror stories abound about poor reliability and frequent performance issues.

The most recent numbers from the Poll in both forums are:

Above $3000 Respondents %

Yes I've had a service problem 12 44.44%

No, it's been trouble free 15 55.56%

Below $3000

Yes I've had a service problem 5 31.25%

No, it's been trouble free 11 68.75%

Total

Yes I've had a service problem 17 40%

No, it's been trouble free 26 60%

While I agree with Biersy that this is far from scientific, the number of problems as a % of the total would be very troubling to me if I were CEO of that company.

PS I don't know why the post doesn't maintain the formating I used.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylepdx /forum/post/0

Fleaman, I'm sorry for your troubles. What I don't understand is why someone like yourself (or myself for that matter) who had an unresolved service issue would buy another Optoma projector. I am not being critical. I am just curious.

Well, at the time the H31 came out, its only real DLP competitor was the infocus 4805. Compared to the H31 pretty much everyone agreed that it was louder and its contrast wasn't as good (although adding an ND2 filter might have leveled the playing field, but no one had compared the 2 under those conditions).

All the H31 reports were coming back good and not one complaint of buzzing...in fact, most reported that it was a little quieter than a H30 (non-buzzing one). My H31 was whisper quite.

So, considering I had a chance to opt out of my H30, and because I'm a contrast junky and didn't want to get the louder 4805 (even though it would have been more quite than my 'buzzzzing' H30), I decided to take a chance. Again, the only other option was the 4805, which I didn't want. Also, note that of course not all H30's had this pwr supply buzzing problem, it seemed to be a batch of them which they kept on supplying me with when I returned my H30 multiple times.

The difference today is there are much better choices for performance and reliability IMHO. First up on the block would be a Mitsubishi...HC3000 or if we are lucky, the HC3100. Going up the scale of performance might be the Benq 8720 or the new W10000 (3 year warranty!). Then the JVC RS-1/HD-1 seems interesting, yet reliability will be unknown.

Yet ironically, for a 480p projector the H31 still seems to be one of the top runners, and can be had for just a few hundred dollars today. For a 480p PJ I would probably still recommend the H31.

Fleaman

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am extremely new to the HT market and a friend recommend I check this site out. I am almost done finishing my basement HT. I have read many, many reviews and subscribe to a ratings magazine. The magazine and other sites have the HD72 rated well above other under $3k PJ's. (I am looking into the HD73 but very little info on it so far) I have to agree with biersy that this is NOT the place to find out how reliable a product is but you got me thinking. Does anyone else know of any web sites that show reliability trends on Optoma PJs?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Quote:

Are we projector users so atypically bleeding-edge that we're used to being abused by manufacturers? I know I have been especially in home networking gear and software that over promises and under delivers.

I think this point in particular is notable. It seems that today many of these huge manufactures are big corporations living in the age of instant news and communications (i.e., this forum) and instead of admitting a design flaw, recalls, etc., they perform damage control in a public relations way. Deal with the individual problems w/o admitting a systemic fault ('your the only one to complain of this particular problem!'), and hope the internet doesn't get flooded with bad press about an inherent design problem. Being the lowly individual consumer, how could we know there was a design problem or large QC issues? For all we would know, we just got unlucky....and I think these days large manufactures try to promote this type of PR. The truth is, bad PR will hurt their sales instantly and actions I've mentioned above, along with shill posters (here at AVS too) will definitely help their bottom line.

In the meantime, we as consumers get the runaround. I think it's just the new way of being treated and handled in a warranty situation...'see no evil, hear no evil.' You will be handled, but they will not admit fault, even when they send you 3 projectors that all buzzed like a bad neon sign.

Fleaman

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why couldn't the moderators start a sticky thread on both the above and below $3K forums and track forum member experience regarding reliability by manufacturer and model. It seems easy enough. For example when a new model comes out then a simple poll goes up to track performance reliability so we begin to get some hard numbers and hold the manufacturers accountable. Not unlike Epinions only better as the numbers are posted by a like minded group of relatively committed hobbyists and industry insiders.

In speaking to high end installers, they tend to stick with the most reliable manufacturers because they can't afford either the time or bad will associated with a poor performing product. However, Runco route to get high reliability. I would hope the Mitsubishis, Sharps, Epsons and JVC's would value their brand equity highly enough to ensure high product performance and reliability. Sony, who knows what they value given their many mis-steps in so many categories over the past several years including the misconvergence problem on the Pearl.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Quote:

Why couldn't the moderators start a sticky thread on both the above and below $3K forums and track forum member experience regarding reliability by manufacturer and model. It seems easy enough. .

Because:

1. It wouldn't be that reliable of an indicator. AVS members are but a small minority of users, and probably ones to complain more vocally than your average user.

2. Search function. Not as easy as your method, but if you're diligent, the results will be more thorough.

3. Forum sponsors/advertisers: Just about all the manufactures sponsor and advertise here, plus AVS sells their products. Like magazines, advertisers will not take too kindly to 'problem' sticky threads. Even one of the shill posters seem to be protected in a way (my conspiracy theory with no hard evidence to back up
)

4. You could just ask or start a poll, as you have done so.

In any case, I think that your request will be impossible here due mostly to #3, but power to ya if you can get it done

Fleaman

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.