AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for a cheap led projector for my bedroom and this doesn't look like it can be beat for the price. Looks to be a pk301 clone with less inputs.

Only problem is amazon is the only place I can find with reviews of this thing, would like to hear from some people here. Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts, screenshots, video, of it action?

Also is there any way to force it to display it's native resolution, or do a 16:9 setup through vga?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I haven't seen the PT100 since it's brand new, but that does sound like a great bargain; however, I want to warn you that 50 lumens is ridiculously little. I've seen 100-200 lumen projectors in action. They're decent for price and power. But they must all operate in dark conditions. And although most companies claim you can get large displays, the quality might not be what you hope it to be. Either way for the price, these low end LED projectors are nice to have for less serious HT enthusiasts.

I found the PT100 only for a 179 on Amazon

I would also ask you to consider reading and looking at other micro projectors such as LG, BenQ or Acer's. They are most expensive but offer much higher brightness in comparison to the PT100.

For example, the BenQ GP1 comes with 100 lumens, 2000:1 contrast ratio, 20000 LED lamp hours, 2watt onboard speakers, weighs 1.4 pounds, 858x600 native resolution, but costs about twice as much as the PT100. At about $400 (though I'm sure you can get it for less in stores)

The LG HS201 which costs about $500 comes with 200 lumens, 2000:1 contrast ratio, 30000 LED lamp hours, no onboard speakers, 1.8 pounds, 800x600 native resolution.

I've seen both the BenQ GP1 and the LG HS201, and got to say of course the LG HS201 is brighter, but everything else is about the same. The LG is worth it if you are willing to shell out more, but I think for most people at the price point of $500 they may already start looking into refurbished 720p models.

However, most notably about both the BenQ GP1 and the LG HS201 is the ability and the advantage over the Optoma PT100 to have a USB reader. This is the point of pocket/mini projectors, to be able to use them without the need of an actual computer or other device. The cool thing about the GP1 is that you can also hook up your iPod or iPhone to it and play directly off of it. You should look at the BenQ GP1 or the LG HS201 or go straight to 720p projectors. Or even other pocket projectors, the only reason I brought the GP1 and HS201 up is because those are the 2 I've seen and played with myself. I think the main disadvantage of the PT100 is the 50 lumen output; however it is justified with a price tag of $179. However, without a USB port to be able to quick plug and play access is quite a big fail on Optoma's behalf, and because of that I don't recommend it at all. If it were priced at $250 or $300 which would have well overly covered the cost of adding an on board interface and navigation system + USB port, then it would be a decent pick.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
For a dark room it does the job, I have it hooked up to a pc and a cheap tv tuner in my spare room running at 52 inches some one wanted to watch the lakers the other day and was steered to the spare room and seemed to be happy,my 13 year old niece watches anime on hulu all day long when I watch her.It has a great price point and if it was the only projector I had ever seen I could be happy.My niece wants one in her room and She has a 2500 lum. projector in her house she uses. This is one of 5 led projectors I have owned.

the lg,s are way over priced and the need for onboard software/card readers are for the road warriors but then who really would show up selling something in a board room with a toyish lum. rated projector?

(like some one mentioned the pk301 has a the card readers ect the pt 100 is a stripped down 301)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/19638438

For a dark room it does the job, I have it hooked up to a pc and a cheap tv tuner in my spare room running at 52 inches some one wanted to watch the lakers the other day and was steered to the spare room and seemed to be happy,my 13 year old niece watches anime on hulu all day long when I watch her.It has a great price point and if it was the only projector I had ever seen I could be happy.My niece wants one in her room and She has a 2500 lum. projector in her house she uses. This is one of 5 led projectors I have owned.

the lg,s are way over priced and the need for onboard software/card readers are for the road warriors but then who really would show up selling something in a board room with a toyish lum. rated projector?

(like some one mentioned the pk301 has a the card readers ect the pt 100 is a stripped down 301)

any way to force it to display it's native resolution, or do a 16:9 setup through vga? Will it show a 720p signal either from pc through vga or component adapter to vga?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The menu is very simple ,3 brightness levels,language,16.9 or 4.3 (forced),source and orientation (it shows R,s reversed,upside down ect.).

the on/off button is a hard switch and a source button so you dont have to go into menu. there is a spring loaded front foot in front but no threaded hole(s) to hang buy(strange with all the orientation options).Small wall wart ,no power brick.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the geforce card shows 800x600 or 1024x768 as the only options.The instructions say to set it to one of these.yes it does 16.9 thru vga or rca I have set at 800x600 16.9 for now.720p trailers look pretty good.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/19640059

the geforce card shows 800x600 or 1024x768 as the only options.The instructions say to set it to one of these.yes it does 16.9 thru vga or rca I have set at 800x600 16.9 for now.720p trailers look pretty good.

my concern is that everything will look stretched at 800x600 in 16.9. I don't understand why they won't allow its native resolution.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here are the jpegs in one you can see the screen door.

The wall is yellow so I pinned a some white card board up there,there is a 60 watt bulb lamp on the side.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the images....one last thing, about what distance where those shots taken from. If they're not real visible from a few feet away, or even 4-6' back, I'd be happy....

Worst case, I can hopefully just return it and exchange/pay the difference for an Acer K11 and see how that looks...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Those are from 4 inches to 3 feet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Okay, got the PT100 in and picked up an overpriced 12' VGA cable to run to my EVGA 9500gt...I'm using this in my office to decide if I'm going to keep it. It's hooked up to the desktop computer which I play SD DVDs through. Currently, I'm using the NVidia video utility that came with the card and it has the projector's resolution set at 1024x768. Didn't see an option w/this utility to reduce it to 800x600 so I'm not sure what the picture quality difference would be.

I'm using a white paper faced cardboard for the screen, which sits above my computer monitor, since my walls are a very light green.

At eatmeat's suggestion, I picked up some blackout material from the fabric shop. I wonder how much difference there will be between the white cardboard (flat paper finish) and the blackout fabric?

The pj is set to 'Bright' which at 50 lumens, is relative
. It's dark outside and with the lights off, save the monitor below, the picture isn't too bad, but much dimmer than my Panasonic 720p plasma that is fairly dim itself (contrast at 50 of 100).

Colors are muted (no real surprise) but not too bad, though I do find myself wanting something a little brighter for movies since this will probably be nearly unwatchable in a room w/a window unless there's no hint of light.

My other options are to play w/the Nvidia utility that will let me adjust colors,etc but I don't want to screw the colors up.

Only other thing I can think of is that I'm surprised to find that it has a fairly loud hum, not to be confused w/the whir of the fan. Then again, the pj is only about 3 feet behind my head and 5' off the floor at the moment.

Overall for the price, it's pretty cool and I'm going to give it a couple of weeks with different movies before I make a final choice to try the Axxa M2 or Acer K11...no going back now!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy88
Okay, got the PT100 in and picked up an overpriced 12' VGA cable to run to my EVGA 9500gt...I'm using this in my office to decide if I'm going to keep it. It's hooked up to the desktop computer which I play SD DVDs through. Currently, I'm using the NVidia video utility that came with the card and it has the projector's resolution set at 1024x768. Didn't see an option w/this utility to reduce it to 800x600 so I'm not sure what the picture quality difference would be.

I'm using a white paper faced cardboard for the screen, which sits above my computer monitor, since my walls are a very light green.

At eatmeat's suggestion, I picked up some blackout material from the fabric shop. I wonder how much difference there will be between the white cardboard (flat paper finish) and the blackout fabric?

The pj is set to 'Bright' which at 50 lumens, is relative
. It's dark outside and with the lights off, save the monitor below, the picture isn't too bad, but much dimmer than my Panasonic 720p plasma that is fairly dim itself (contrast at 50 of 100).

Colors are muted (no real surprise) but not too bad, though I do find myself wanting something a little brighter for movies since this will probably be nearly unwatchable in a room w/a window unless there's no hint of light.

My other options are to play w/the Nvidia utility that will let me adjust colors,etc but I don't want to screw the colors up.

Only other thing I can think of is that I'm surprised to find that it has a fairly loud hum, not to be confused w/the whir of the fan. Then again, the pj is only about 3 feet behind my head and 5' off the floor at the moment.

Overall for the price, it's pretty cool and I'm going to give it a couple of weeks with different movies before I make a final choice to try the Axxa M2 or Acer K11...no going back now!!
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...ql-driver.html

install these if you are win 7 32 bit you need to set it at 800x 600

if xp
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2...ql-driver.html

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hmm, I'll try that...haven't installed any evga drivers since I built the computer back in '09, thanks.

After a few nights with the pj, for the price I'm really impressed though now I'm thinking of trying something a little brighter (Acer K11 or used LG hs201, but you know this already!
) but I'm going to fix up a better 'screen' and try some more.

I'm impatient and want to put something on the wall now, so I'm thinking of going to Home Depot and buying a 4x8' sheet of 1/2" thick rigid foam insulation board. I'm just not positive of how the surface texture will look even after prime and paint....it's not laminate smooth or hard and many times is dinged and dented everywhere at the store...we'll see....maybe a wall covered in copy paper haha?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
crumbaker did you end up making your mind on what you want to get

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just a little update...I haven't had/taken time to install the newer driver utility eat meat linked but did play with the advanced tool options found in the Cyberlink (I have a Bluray/HD player in my desktop) player software.

Brightened things up noticeably w/o degrading black levels that I could tell in a completely dark (save the piercing blue computer chassis leds
) room...

I'm actually liking this little pj and may just wait until CES to see what rolls out, or what prices drop after...

eat meat: Will I actually get a better picture by setting things to native 800x600 vs 1024x768 or what exactly?

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It looked like it to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anybody tested to see if any of these LED PJ's take a component video input through the VGA port via a RGB to HD15 cable? Mainly interested in PT100, Acer K11, or Aaxa M2. Also dont you guys agree that the M2 seems superior given it's higher resolution? Has anyone compared the lumens side by side of the K11 vs the M2?

·
Registered
338 Posts
One comment about the PT100 that I've noticed that is a little annoying unless I'm missing something....I've found that after using the pj and say, the next day, I power it back on, the projector is out of focus. Every time, I have to refocus it.

I've never had a pj, much less one with manual focus so I'm not sure if this to be expected, or if it's vibration (doubt it) but I may try taping the focus knob in place because I've had to slightly refocus things even after an hour of viewing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts