AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
does that go for their 50" as well, and have they released any possible prices on them.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
that is both sets, i called and the guy said late may to july, but this wasd two months ago so they probably have a better idea now they will be 5000 and 6000 approximately

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any idea who will carry the sets?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
no but if you call their customer service from their website. optomausa.com and go to the rptv site. they will give you a number to the nearest optoma retailer. mine was one state away. they are quite helpful and eager to satisfy i think.

-robert

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info Robert.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've starting looking at the new Optoma RD-65 vs. the Samsung HLN61yW. I read one one of the threads that the DVI input on the Optoma may not support HDCP. Does any one know anything about this? I'm also trying to find out more information in general about the Optoma. does anyone have any info on this display? I'm going to call there customer service tomorrow and will post any information I can.

Thanks Kody

·
Registered
37 Posts
kodyklindt,

I was told by an Optoma employee (who is also an AVS member) months before that the RDs' DVI port wouldn't be HDCP-ready.

Alan Hsu

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for the information. I just tried to talk with someone at Optoma, but no luck yet. The TV looks really nice, too bad about no HDCP. I guess it's time to look at the Samsung HLN617W.

Thanks Again.

Kody

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
For anyone confused about what vaporware really is, please follow the history of Optoma's RPTVs.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mark,

I guess I'm not understand what you are talking about. I tried to search on the history of Optoma's RPTV, but nothing as come up. If you could point me to the information that would be great.

Everyone else,

I talk with Optoma's technical support yesterday and they stated that the DVI connect on the RD-65 will support HDCP in the future. Alan, I know you stated that one of the Optoma employees told you that we're going to support it, so I'm a little confused. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Thanks for everyones Help,

Kody

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kody: They announced these sets what seems like a lifetime ago. If you use the Slowest Search option on the search, you'll find the original thread.

As for HDCP, I, too, was told by an Optoma rep that HDCP is unncessary, irrelevant, won't be included. Like Panasonic, with their DLP, someone at Optoma realized that such a bogus line won't work in the marketplace. So they must be fixing it before release, I suppose. Given how late this set it, that's a good thing.

Mark

·
Registered
305 Posts
Here's some info on the Optoma RD50 and RD65. Quote: " Both include DVI but no HDCP, though Optima says it will provide an upgrade path later this year for people who purchase early units." No date or price is listed for the HDCP upgrade. Source: The Perfect Vision - May/June 2003 - page 20. Dick

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dick,

I was told late last year that there would be no HDCP upgrade path. The guys at Optoma obviously changed their mind.

BTW, the 50-inch version has been delivered to some local (Taiwan) consumers.

Alan Hsu

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting --- I requested a contact via the Optoma website to determine the closest dealer to me ----- 3 weeks later, no response at all. Their custoemr service seems t be getting off to a great start

·
Registered
23 Posts
Everyone,

Thanks for everyones help with this adventure. Here is the latest information that I received from Optoma's Tech Support.

1) I do not believe the TV's will have HDCP, but there is a chance they may eventually.

2) All signal types are acceptable as inputs.

3) See the attached Word document for the number of connection that are supported on the RD-50/65.

I'm going to try and attach the document. Thanks again for everyones help.

Kody Klindt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.