AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the new Optoma RD-65 at a retail dealer in the Dallas area.

Very impressed with the picture quality, blacks were very close to the Pioneer Elite CRT also on display, picture quality much better than the Sony

lcds next to it, I have seen the Samsung 61" dlp and I think the Optoma

has a better picture, but it would be hard to compare unless they were side by side.

It has Dvi input but is not HDCP compliant. The dealer called Optoma and was told, a software upgrade for hdcp would be available within 6 months

at a cost of $300.00.

Question, Optoma uses the Silicon Image DVDO 504 deinterlacer, and"Precision Pixel Matching PPM technology for 1:1 scan conversion."

What does that mean? It does't convert a 720 p signal like the RCA's does

it??

The dealer made me a price of $5750.00 on this TV,and I, think he would do better than that. I would be interested in other opinions and comments about it.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have an optoma rd50. The internal signal processing circuitry converts everything to 720p.

· Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clarntex
I have an optoma rd50. The internal signal processing circuitry converts everything to 720p.
What does it do with a 720p input signal?

· Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
It converts that one to 480i Les. :p :p :p
Rogo, I think you are confusing it with the RCA DLP. :mad: :mad: :mad:

· Registered
1,839 Posts
Mike,

I am also wondering where you saw this set? My first guess would be the StarPower on the tollway. They are a custom installer that usually has a lot of interesting models that others don't.

I don't think it would be a violation of forum rules or an afront to the dealer to give us a clue on this....

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, your right, Starpower in Addison has the RD-50 and RD-65 on display,

They just received the first shipment of RD-65's this week. Go by and check

them out, let me know what you think, that RD-65 sure looked good to me!

I had decided to go with the Samsung 61" DLP but now I am not sure.

I am seriously considering the Optoma, would be interested in other

opinions and thoughts on it.

· Registered
28 Posts
Clarntex

If you own the rd-50 can you please give us your opinion on the optoma vs the sammy dlp's? Are you happy with your purchase and do you think it was worth the more $$$ than the sammy? Thanks for any opinions or reviews that you have.

· Registered
13 Posts
1. First as to the 720P question. The optoma's RP units have several HD and SD (standard TV inputs. The standard display mode is 720P. If standard tv is input it is converted to 720P. If a HD input is used it depends on what it is, 720P passes straight through all the others are converted to 720P.

2 . Why I picked the optoma rp over the samsung rp.

a. Connectivity the optoma,s have multiple hd and sd connections including a panel in front for game controllers and computers.

b. Internal signal processing. The combination of the dvdo 504 and the oplus rembrandt-1 color scaler seemed to be a good choice. The system uses digital signal processing from beginning to end.

c. I was comparison shopping looking at Samsung's and hoping to find other models. I found out about the Optoma's at Starpower in Addison, Tx. The specifications sounded better than for the Samsung's. The owner is very knowledgeable of consumer electronics, he had seen the optomas at CEDIA and signed up to sell them.

3. Personal observation:

a. The optoma rear projection units have several picture and format modes. Two of the picture modes have automatic color adjustment. The format modes adjust the picture size.

b. I have dish network, not hdtv, connected through s-video. The picture and color are excellent. I have not seen any motion artifacts in baseball and football. You can follow the balls motion easily.

b. I have run dvd's through component cables through progressive scan on a hd sport and the switched to the optoma recommendation of running at 480I through the sd port and letting the dvdo 504 do the de-interlacing. This gives more screen format options than the hd modes.

c. Running vhs tapes is not to bad eihter.

d. You have to be careful of your inputs, you can run standard tv through the hd ports, but you might see some visual artifacts at the edge of the screen.

e. I am very impressed with the picture and sound.

· Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds promising. I plan to go see the 65" Optoma later today. I am concerned, however, about the limited availability of the set and potential for longer-term support. Being a current Tosh LCoS owner (with a potential refund forthcoming given whether the 2003 model shows up or not) support is a core concern for me.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clarntex,

Well I guess I am about to take the leap also. I have looked several times at the RD-65 on display at Starpower, and keep going back to compare it with the Samsung 61" and to me the Optoma looked better. I kept thinking it's a macho thing, bigger is better! Saturday my wife and I spent an hour at Great Indoors looking at the Samsung 61" viewing SD, Dvd's, and HD-HBO. We then went to Starpower to look at the 65" Optoma. Since the Optoma is $1000.00 more money I pretty well knew what my wife would say, since she considers anything spent on electronics a waste!

They had HD-Discovery channel on when we went in and after about 15 seconds my wife says" this one is better!"

As an accountant by trade, my conservative side says the Samsung is the smarter buy, larger company, 2nd-3rd generation of dlp,s ect.I keep thinking, about the guys who jumped on the first generation of the Toshiba Lcos sets. Although this is Optoma's first dlp rear projectors, the more I look, the inputs, the gamma adjustments for each input, , discrete IR codes for all inputs, as well as power, it certainly looks like someone did their homework. I will however, take Rogo's advice, and get it in writing about the HDCP upgrade before I put down any money.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTDT,

If you see the Optoma RD-65 today please let me know what you think.

I'm about to make a decision

· Registered
28 Posts
Clarntex,

Thanks for the review, it is well appreciated. Still a hard decision, but i just think optoma took more time with there product to make it better. I'm probably going to make up my mind by this weekend, so any other info that anybody might have we would love to here it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.