AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first time posting so hope I am doing things correctly

I can't decide on whether to buy a brand new Optoma 65 (or assumed new since I am getting from Costco) including screen priced at $1,000, or Refurbished Optoma 65 including screen priced at $599. Costco offers me 2 years warranty but the refurbished only 3 months!

Any advice?

·
Registered
115 Posts
price out what a 2 yr protection plan would cost for the refurb and then compare the two #'s and see if price difference is enough incentive to go with refurb.

·
Registered
115 Posts
check with some of the forum sponsors I guess or check prices on line. I put my PJ with Square Trade, was something like $70 for two years, but did not cover bulb, just the unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks danimal60!! I'm from Canada, do you know of any similar companies that sells extended warranties like Square Trade? (I checked Square Trade's site, and they said they dont cover Canadian purchases)

·
Registered
121 Posts
With the economy... be careful with extended warranties. I've been burned with some before. They take your cash then go belly up as the money either heads off-shore or the investments backing claims underperform.

Just a word to the wise.

I got dinged for $1500 on warranty gold extended auto warranties. It's been a few years and I think if they can get any money back - my "award" in the class action suit might cover a case of beer.

Also look at what is going on with the rebate industry right now... a number of the companies (one major one is canadian based) don't have enough to cover the rebates coming in and rebate checks are bouncing.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I almost got burned on Ebay on a HD65. It was stated that it had a 90 warranty, bulb and all. The bulb blew within 10 hrs. Optoma said no warranty on reburb unit bulbs! The seller was unreasonable at best, so I had to fight it, and with the help of Paypal, got my money back less shipping one way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can you PM me with the seller of the HD65? I saw the same Ebay auction and luckily avoided it. Just curious if we were looking at the same auction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! So is $1000 (CAD) a little much for a brand new HD65 nowadays?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bought the canada comp deal (ie. refurbished).... at basically half the big box store price. At that price, I look at it as being almost "throw away"... hopefully I will get a year out of it... anything more and its a steal. The unit looks / feels new and probably is a "big box" inventory return cause the units now at the big box are hd640 (canadian models). At the rate projector technology changes and prices come down, it pretty hard to justify paying much for a low/middle of the road unit.... but ultimately, its your money and your "sleepless nights".

·
Registered
100 Posts
I took the HD65 Refurb Challenge and so far pretty good. I ended up using Live CashBack at 30% so price came to $500 for just the unit. 6 months warranty with optoma on refurb units.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did the same thing metal did and did not have problems with the projector although I only owned the projector for a month. Got rid of it because of the high fan noise the projector has in high altitude area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts