AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Optoma to release the 3D-XL converter for projectors in December

Quote:
We just got word that Optoma's 3D-XL converter will be released in December 2010: just in time for Christmas. The 3D-XL is used to connect HDMI 1.4a (Blu-ray, PS3, etc.) devices to Optoma's 3D-ready projectors (like the GT700 for example).

The 3D-XL will cost $499 (with one pair of glasses), and each extra pair of glasses costs $83.
http://www.3d-display-info.com/optom...erter-december

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
500 bucks? For what

100 bucks is more than enough to me for any stupid converter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
500 bucks yo. Dear Optoma, you make it sound like a rip off.

If enough people have interest, I can consult with someone with low hour rates about an FPGA implementation , without the fancy box though.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradspit1
will this converter allow 3d on the hd65? i heard there was gonna be a firware update to allow it then heard they not releasing it now?
1.3 to 1.4 upgrade with a simple firmware: look PS3. (3D source)

1.3 to 1.4 upgrade with a simple firmware: look Mitshubishi WD: (3D receiver)

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Experience-3D

So it's possible.

Even valid for 1.3 AVRs?

Finally; you're right.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah
1.3 to 1.4 upgrade with a simple firmware: look PS3. (3D source)
That isn't correct. It is not a 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade. It is a 1.3 to 1.3 + 3D upgrade. Because the PS3 is a software based BD player and not a hardware based BD player, it does not depend on a 1.4 HDMI TX chip to assemble the frame packed frames from a 3D BD. It can make do with it's existing 1.3 HDMI TX chip and it's Cell BE processor. And the PS3 has a 2X BD drive already in it. But it was gimped. No lossless audio with 3D video. The PS3 cannot do Audio Return Channel nor Ethernet Over HDMI. Both true 1.4 features.

Quote:
1.3 to 1.4 upgrade with a simple firmware: look Mitshubishi WD: (3D receiver)

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Experience-3D

So it's possible.
ALL Mits DLP 3D Ready HDTVs cannot accept 3D content in it's native format. Those formats such as Frame Sequential (from 3D BD and 3D BD Games), 1080i Side-by-Side and 720P Top/Bottom must be converted to the 3D Checkerboard format for 3D content to be displayed. Previous to the upgrade, they all required the 3D-A1 3D format adapter/converter which does the conversion. What the announcement announced was that two of their new series (738 and 838 series) of DLP 3DTVs no longer need the 3D-A1. The conversion can be done internally with the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
1) PS3 wasn't able to bitstream HD audio even it had 1.3 already? (normally HDMI 1.3 standard says "yes you can bitstream HD audio"?)

So this is not a parameter/or or a criterion to me.

2) I just gave a quote from WD, not able to test it.

But at least i'm sure if i have a 3D HTPC, i can get HD audio bitsreaming over a 1.3 AVR while i can get 3D frame packed video with this upgrade? Right?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah
1) PS3 wasn't able to bitstream HD audio even it had 1.3 already?

So this is not a parameter/or or a criterion to me.
When playing a regular BD in a PS3, as long as the soundtrack is recorded in either DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD, it will send both HD video and HD audio via the HDMI output.

When playing a 3D BD in a PS3 where the soundtrack is one of the above, it will not send either. You have to use the optical audio output to get audio - DD/DTS 5.1

Quote:
2) I just gave a quote from WD, not able to test it.

But at least i'm sure if i have a 3D HTPC, i can get HD audio bitsreaming over a 1.3 AVR while i can get 3D frame packed video with this upgrade?
You will have to read the posts in the many AVR 1.3 threads that deal with passing a Frame Packed 3D video signal through them. AFAIK, few will.

That's why those with 1.3 AVRs are looking at dual HDMI 3D BD output players like the Panasonic 350 and 300, the new Oppo 93 and the new Samsung C7900. You can configure the dual outputs so that one passes 3D video while the other only passes HD audio.. You attach the 3D video to your 3DTV and the HD audio to your 1.3 AVR.

And all Panasonic 3D BD players have an option to output Checkerboard 3D. The Frame Sequential to Checkerboard conversion is done inside the player so for Sammy and Mits 2007+ 3D Ready DLP HDTVs, they don't need any adapter . . for 3D BD movies only.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19565684

When playing a regular BD in a PS3, as long as the soundtrack is recorded in either DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD, it will send both HD video and HD audio via the HDMI output.

When playing a 3D BD in a PS3 where the soundtrack is one of the above, it will not send either. You have to use the optical audio output to get audio - DD/DTS 5.1.

So it is not an HW issue, it seems to me a limitation put by Sony itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19565684

You will have to read the posts in the many AVR 1.3 threads that deal with passing a Frame Packed 3D video signal through them. AFAIK, few will.

That's why those with 1.3 AVRs are looking at dual HDMI 3D BD output players like the Panasonic 350 and 300, the new Oppo 93 and the new Samsung C7900. You can configure the dual outputs so that one passes 3D video while the other only passes HD audio.. You attach the 3D video to your 3DTV and the HD audio to your 1.3 AVR.

This is why i'm sure any 3D HTPC will handle this.

Beware (sure you are already): 4**, 5** series nVidia and 6*** series Ati cards have a lot of outputs.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah /forum/post/19565747

So it is not an HW issue, it seems to me a limitation put by Sony itself?

Has to do with the capabilities/limitations of the Cell BE processor. It can only do so much. That is why the PS3 can only do 3D games (from a 3D BD) in 1280x720x60P per eye and not 1920x1080x60P per eye.

Quote:
This is why i'm sure any 3D HTPC will handle this.

I don't understand. Handle what?

EDIT:

Quote:
Beware (sure you are already): 4**, 5** series nVidia and 6*** series Ati cards have a lot of outputs.

Do they have dual HDMI outputs? And is there software that will seperate the 3D Video from the HD audio from a 3D BD?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19565768

Do they have dual HDMI outputs? And is there software that will seperate the 3D Video from the HD audio from a 3D BD?

No dual HDMI outputs.

No need multiple HDMI outputs or any software:

Just connect:

HDMI out to HDMI in of your TV/PJ. (for video)

DVI to HDMI to your HDMI in of your AVR. (for audio)

EDIT: BTW all those current cards support HD audio bitstreaming over DVI.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah /forum/post/19565828

No dual HDMI outputs.

No need multiple HDMI outputs or any software:

Just connect:

HDMI out to HDMI in of your TV/PJ. (for video)

DVI to HDMI to your HDMI in of your AVR. (for audio)

EDIT: BTW all those current cards support HD audio bitstreaming over DVI.

So what does the signal consist of going out the DVI output from a 3D BD? Is it both frame packed 3D video and HD audio?

And we are talking about existing 1.3 AVRs right?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yes i'm awared of what i'm saying.

If you have a 1.4a compatible TV or PJ you can send video (frame packed) over HDMI 1.4a of your GPU.

And as for audio (HD audio bitstream):

DVI to HDMI adapter+HDMI cable to your existing 1.3 AVR,

or

DVI to HDMI cable to your existing 1.3 AVR,

via dual monitor selection on your HTPC.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah /forum/post/19565903

Yes i'm awared of what i'm saying.

If you have a 1.4a compatible TV or PJ you can send video (frame packed) over HDMI 1.4a of your GPU.

And as for audio (HD audio bitstream):

DVI to HDMI adapter+HDMI cable to your existing 1.3 AVR,

or

DVI to HDMI cable to your existing 1.3 AVR,

via dual monitor selection on your HTPC.

As long as the DVI output is sending frame packed 3D and HD audio at the same time, if you attach this to a 1.3 AVR, you won't get anything. The EDID in the 1.3 AVR HDMI RX chip won't recognize the signal and will not allow it to enter the AVR. And you can't upgrade the chip

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19566011

As long as the DVI output is sending frame packed 3D and HD audio at the same time, if you attach this to a 1.3 AVR, you won't get anything. The EDID in the 1.3 AVR HDMI RX chip won't recognize the signal and will not allow it to enter the AVR. And you can't upgrade the chip

Oh my friend, why don't you have a look at to HTPC corner from time to time:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240499

And:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19386632

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19561863

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.