AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382290-REG/optoma_technology_uhd50.html

Enjoy UHD 4K content with HDR support with the Optoma UHD50 UHD DLP Home Theater Projector. Its 2400 lumens of brightness overcome ambient light in many installations, while its 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio helps enhance detail in dark areas of the image. The native 3840 x 2160 resolution helps ensure that text and images are clear. HDR10 compatibility ensures vibrant color reproduction from a compatible source device and content.
The UHD50 has one VGA and two HDMI inputs to support a variety of sources. Both HDMI inputs are MHL-compatible for connecting mobile devices, such as your smartphone or tablet, and the projector has a USB power output to help conserve your device's battery life. Its analog audio input and output allow you to either use the built-in 5W speakers or output your audio to an external system with the optical audio output, a digital audio connection to your receiver or soundbar. The projector is controllable via Ethernet, RS-232, or the included IR remote control.
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, plus 2400 lumens of brightness and a 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel Equipped with HDR10 and DCI-P3 wide color gamut support for bright whites, deep blacks, and vivid color Dynamic Black delivers a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for enhanced black levels HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 offer UHD video bandwidth and device compatibility Vertical lens shift and 1.3x zoom provide flexible installation Two 5W speakers and an optical output to your A/V receiver or soundbar

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have owned 3 Optoma projectors and one sure thing I have noticed is that their specs for lumens and contrast are largely exaggerated in most cases as compared to the industry standards. 2400 lumens is probably close, but 500K contrast I seriously doubt. I have a 142x now and no way is it at the specs they say. Read the reviews/tests before you buy any Optoma product to know what specs you are really getting.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
... native 3840 x 2160 resolution ...
Anyone who's interested in how "native resolution" has traditionally been defined and how pixel shifting projectors like the UHD50 fit the definition can read and discuss that issue in the dedicated 4K thread linked to below. This thread should remain focused on the UHD50 and not devolve into another "my 4K is better than your 4K" side discussion. :)

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2939832-what-constitutes-4k.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anyone who's interested in how "native resolution" has traditionally been defined and how pixel shifting projectors like the UHD50 fit the definition can read and discuss that issue in the dedicated 4K thread linked to below. This thread should remain focused on the UHD50 and not devolve into another "my 4K is better than your 4K" side discussion. :)

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2939832-what-constitutes-4k.html
I completely agree.

Also can we keep the JVC good, DLP bad talk out of this thread. You know who you are.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382290-REG/optoma_technology_uhd50.html

Enjoy UHD 4K content with HDR support with the Optoma UHD50 UHD DLP Home Theater Projector. Its 2400 lumens of brightness overcome ambient light in many installations, while its 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio helps enhance detail in dark areas of the image. The native 3840 x 2160 resolution helps ensure that text and images are clear. HDR10 compatibility ensures vibrant color reproduction from a compatible source device and content.
The UHD50 has one VGA and two HDMI inputs to support a variety of sources. Both HDMI inputs are MHL-compatible for connecting mobile devices, such as your smartphone or tablet, and the projector has a USB power output to help conserve your device's battery life. Its analog audio input and output allow you to either use the built-in 5W speakers or output your audio to an external system with the optical audio output, a digital audio connection to your receiver or soundbar. The projector is controllable via Ethernet, RS-232, or the included IR remote control.
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, plus 2400 lumens of brightness and a 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel Equipped with HDR10 and DCI-P3 wide color gamut support for bright whites, deep blacks, and vivid color Dynamic Black delivers a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for enhanced black levels HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 offer UHD video bandwidth and device compatibility Vertical lens shift and 1.3x zoom provide flexible installation Two 5W speakers and an optical output to your A/V receiver or soundbar

This looks like a modified version of the UHD550X, with the color wheel swapped out for RGBRGB.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I have owned 3 Optoma projectors and one sure thing I have noticed is that their specs for lumens and contrast are largely exaggerated in most cases as compared to the industry standards. 2400 lumens is probably close, but 500K contrast I seriously doubt. I have a 142x now and no way is it at the specs they say. Read the reviews/tests before you buy any Optoma product to know what specs you are really getting.
The rated lumens seem to vary from model to model vs real performance, hard to gauge what real performance will be.

But with Optoma you can use the fake contrast specs to get a handle on how it will rank, though, compared to other similar models.

For instance, in optima's fake numbers:

MOST CONTRAST | UHZ65 > UHD65 > UHD60 > UHD50 = UHD550X | LEAST CONTRAST

I am guessing the lens used in the UHD50/UHD550X is of lower quality and lower contrast than the one in the UHZ65/UHD65/UHD60.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm kinda dumb, how does that compare to the W1070 (which I currently have and it fits my room better than any because of it's shorter throw)?

That’s 1.15-1.5 just a ruff estimate here: given a 120” screen you would need approximately 6”-8” longer distance for the UHD50. Projectorcentral should have it in their distance calculator by the time it’s for sale.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

·
Registered
166 Posts
That’s 1.15-1.5 just a ruff estimate here: given a 120” screen you would need approximately 6”-8” longer distance for the UHD50. Projectorcentral should have it in their distance calculator by the time it’s for sale.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
Thanks! Yeah I've been checking the PC calculator every 45 minutes :D

Do we have a release date on this guy? And would we expect Keystoning?

1 - 20 of 1796 Posts