AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree best feature of this projector definitely is 3D support at [email protected] Overall this is much more impressive than 4K 2D although I appreciate the extra sharpness 4K is giving for 2D movies.

Yes, 3D Vision Photo Viewer works without issues in Generic CRT mode. As stated earlier I was suprised that this projector does not need an EDID override althouth in the beginning I was pretty sure it would be required. I knew that Generic CRT mode existed but I thought it would be only active when using a VGA cable in conjunction with an old CRT monitor xD. Surprisingly it works with the HDMI port as well.

However it's amazing that buschdogg7 succeeded in hacking the EDID in that way that the red Nvidia warning text did not show up in 3D mode (this is an issue you often encounter when customizing an EDID). That was the reason why I asked him to share his EDID - maybe this would bring light how to setup up a custom EDID properly via CRU for using with 3D Vision.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The red text can appear in various circumstances but would always be triggered if you chose a so called unsupported resolution/refresh rate.
The benefit here is that [email protected] is pretty much the main/most common 3d vision mode. I had an older business crossover projector that was 1280x800x120Hz. 3d vision worked but I had to edit one of the dlls to remove the red text. That's probably still a viable workaround, details are on the 3d vision forum somewhere.

Agreed hacking the EDID is not easy and it's a great achievement though :) Well done!

Now, this, the T800 or the W1700/HT2250.... Hmm. The W1700 is down to £1199 at the moment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The red text can appear in various circumstances but would always be triggered if you chose a so called unsupported resolution/refresh rate.
The benefit here is that [email protected] is pretty much the main/most common 3d vision mode. I had an older business crossover projector that was 1280x800x120Hz. 3d vision worked but I had to edit one of the dlls to remove the red text. That's probably still a viable workaround, details are on the 3d vision forum somewhere.

Agreed hacking the EDID is not easy and it's a great achievement though :) Well done!

Now, this, the T800 or the W1700/HT2250.... Hmm. The W1700 is down to £1199 at the moment.
The issue I had with editing the EDID of UHD 40 was that the red text appeared with every resolution / refresh rate even on [email protected] 3D worked but the red text was always there. I gave up on this and just use Generic CRT mode.

·
Registered
27 Posts
- Optoma UHD40 - No 3D
- Optoma UHD51 - 3D compatibility: Side-by-Side:1080i50/60, 720p50/60; Frame-pack: 1080p24, 720p50/60; Over-Under: 1080p24, 720p50/60
- Optoma UHD50 - PC 3D ready - 1080p/120 frame sequential (1080p/60Hz/eye)

Is that right? If it is correct, it means that UHD50 offers the best 3D quality of all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
- Optoma UHD40 - No 3D
- Optoma UHD51 - 3D compatibility: Side-by-Side:1080i50/60, 720p50/60; Frame-pack: 1080p24, 720p50/60; Over-Under: 1080p24, 720p50/60
- Optoma UHD50 - PC 3D ready - 1080p/120 frame sequential (1080p/60Hz/eye)

Is that right? If it is correct, it means that UHD50 offers the best 3D quality of all!
UHD40 and UHD50 are the same. Optoma thought it would be better to name it UHD40 in Europe and UHD50 in America to confuse the consumers xD. BenQ does the same bull**** with their models...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, in theory, any display device that supports 120Hz input can support 1080p/120 frame sequential.
But, there are lots of complications, as Paul has eloquently pointed out in a number of posts.

For example, the HT2550 has apparently been proven to support 120hz input. The UHD51 and the TK800 may well do the same, but you need the right source input, you need the display to behave in a nice way and you need a way of synchronising glasses to the display.

Personally I want support for all the 3d modes, as I want to be able to watch 3d blurays as well, so I'll be looking to a different projector and hoping to use an EDID override to enable frame sequential 3d.
I'll probably hold out for now as I'm looking for something that combines all of the above with a low input lag.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Optoma Europe say nothing about 3D "Special Feature" for UHD40

But John Archer mentioned it in his review. He also say: "If you own a 4K gaming console or PC, you’ll be happy to hear that the Optoma UHD40 only suffers with 36ms of input lag on average when using its Game preset."

Projector Central say about UHD50: "No Full HD 3D" and "The UHD50 measured 57 ms input lag."

But 36ms is semnificative less than 57ms and [email protected] enables high quality 3D gaming at FHD 3D.

So, I believe the owners of this projector who said "I will like to gaming on this projector" and "definitely is 3D support at [email protected]", which is impressive.

Thank you all! UHD40 now is on top of my list (because I living in Europe).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Optoma Europe say nothing about 3D "Special Feature" for UHD40

But John Archer mentioned it in his review. He also say: "If you own a 4K gaming console or PC, you’ll be happy to hear that the Optoma UHD40 only suffers with 36ms of input lag on average when using its Game preset."

Projector Central say about UHD50: "No Full HD 3D" and "The UHD50 measured 57 ms input lag."

But 36ms is semnificative less than 57ms and [email protected] enables high quality 3D gaming at FHD 3D.

So, I believe the owners of this projector who said "I will like to gaming on this projector" and "definitely is 3D support at [email protected]", which is impressive.

Thank you all! UHD40 now is on top of my list (because I living in Europe).
Agree, Game mode feels a little bit more directly (especially when playing with a mouse). I think if you are used to play on a fast TN / IPS gaming monitor you will feel the higher input lag on this projector but if you are used to play on a TV there will be no huge difference here. Gaming is very good on this projector :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Radeon Video card on my quad buffered PC. It appears that to get the nVIdia cards for playing 3D on my UHD50, I have to shed atleast $400 to $500 more. Doesn't quite make sense. Isnt there an off-the-shelf player thats plays blu ray 3D in Frame Sequential format to be recognized by this projector. I waited for months this year waiting for the UHD51A before pulling the trigger on the UHD50. I am very happy with the UHD50 but the inability to play 3D is bugging me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a Radeon Video card on my quad buffered PC. It appears that to get the nVIdia cards for playing 3D on my UHD50, I have to shed atleast $400 to $500 more. Doesn't quite make sense. Isnt there an off-the-shelf player thats plays blu ray 3D in Frame Sequential format to be recognized by this projector. I waited for months this year waiting for the UHD51A before pulling the trigger on the UHD50. I am very happy with the UHD50 but the inability to play 3D is bugging me.
Did you try using the Radeon card? It should support frame-sequential if it is HD 5xxx or newer. You will need PowerDVD - you can probably get an older version for cheap; I don't think the trial version supports 3D, you may try. Unfortunately, on my HTPC, PowerDVD's frame-sequential stopped working at some point/upgrade (TMT5's worked ok, this is what I used until recently, when a Win8.1 update killed it). I am yet to test a Polaris card with PDVD 17.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should have asked for some more samples - I've never had a projector with better color and vibrance than this one, including multiple high quality crt pj's. The resolution is just such a boon, I can't imagine anything looking better. Pixel density makes for more vibrant colors than 1080p is capable of, IMO. The thing everyone says when they arrive is, "It looks like a giant LED TV!!:

This was with lights on in the room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oFom_UCyMY (I took it because a jackass in another forum who had never seen the projector was telling me how it "wasn't 4k" and that "if you put a still 4k image up, the pixels will be moving and shifting all over the place" lol. Clearly, he was not correct.)

This was a crappy video and there were lights in the room - and I didn't have my phone set to 4k, so I should really make some better ones - but you get the idea - colors look phenomenal. HDR just looks great :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM1Iz_rUkwA

Also, for any UHD60 owners out there - I have verification from my buddy at Optoma that the new C13 firmware will add PC 3d (frame sequential/checkerboard, like the UHD50) to the model as a free upgrade!
are you using a white or grey screen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you try using the Radeon card? It should support frame-sequential if it is HD 5xxx or newer. You will need PowerDVD - you can probably get an older version for cheap; I don't think the trial version supports 3D, you may try. Unfortunately, on my HTPC, PowerDVD's frame-sequential stopped working at some point/upgrade (TMT5's worked ok, this is what I used until recently, when a Win8.1 update killed it). I am yet to test a Polaris card with PDVD 17.
Thanks for your response. I have Radeon HD5570. I tried using PowerDVD to play 3D. The only 3D display option that PowerDVD allows to select is '3D ready HDTV(Checkerboard)'. Is this the same as Frame-Sequential ? I dont have a DLP glasses. If I know for sure that my PC is producing 3D frame-sequential output, I plan to buy a 3D DLP glass from Amazon.
'

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for your response. I have Radeon HD5570. I tried using PowerDVD to play 3D. The only 3D display option that PowerDVD allows to select is '3D ready HDTV(Checkerboard)'. Is this the same as Frame-Sequential ? I dont have a DLP glasses. If I know for sure that my PC is producing 3D frame-sequential output, I plan to buy a 3D DLP glass from Amazon.
'
HD 5570 should work, except it probably does not have hardware decoding for MVC (the 3D h.264 encoding), but the processor should be able to do the decoding.

Checkerboard is not frame sequential, it is one of the formats that is "frame-compatible" - that is, both left- and right-eye views of the 3D are sent in one 1080p frame, with half resolution - those can be produced by any non-3D capable video player, but need the video display to be capable of processing them to show in 3D.

Make sure your HDMI cable is high speed. Set the video to the frame-sequential compatible (with HDMI 1.4) resolution and refresh rate 720p at 120Hz, and restart. PowerDVD then *should* show the frame-sequential option - AFAIR, it is labeled "3D-ready DLP 120 Hz" or similar. Make sure the projector is set to DLP 3D. Play a 3D disk, video or simulated 3D (converted from 2D by PDVD). If it works, the picture from the projector will "double" (showing both views of the 3D), and look washed out (from the added DLP synching light flash).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Can the Optoma UHD50 display resolutions between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160?

Some PS4 games run at resolutions lower than 4K on the PS4 Pro and for PC you might want to run in 1440p or something to get a stable 60fps.

The Optoma UHD50 data sheet specifies "supported resolutions" which only includes the standard ones.

For example, Nex Machina on PS4 supposedly runs in 3360×1890 on a PS4 Pro.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

I'd like to get the UHD50, but I have 2 concerns; I hope that you could help me.

1. The UDH50 has one HDMI 2.0, how about the other one ? Can the 2nd HDMI accept and output 4K too ?
2. How's the upscaling capability ? Do you think that the 1080p contents will look significantly better than my current Benq HT1075 (similar to W1070) ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can the Optoma UHD50 display resolutions between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160?

Yes, you can choose 1440p. When doing so the resolution is automatically upscaled to [email protected]
For gaming I usually prefer the other way - calculating the game internally in 4k and outputting in [email protected] via Nvidia DSR feature. But this is up to personal preferences.

The UDH50 has one HDMI 2.0, how about the other one ? Can the 2nd HDMI accept and output 4K too ?

Yes, the other HDMI port can output 4k, too but it has a lower bandwith. So you can only set up to 4k @ 30hz. However the good thing is: [email protected] also works on this HDMI port!

How's the upscaling capability ? Do you think that the 1080p contents will look significantly better than my current Benq HT1075 (similar to W1070) ?

1080p upscaled content looks good but I think there are no big differences to full HD projectors. You need 4k HDR material - then you'll see a big difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts

How's the upscaling capability ? Do you think that the 1080p contents will look significantly better than my current Benq HT1075 (similar to W1070) ?

1080p upscaled content looks good but I think there are no big differences to full HD projectors. You need 4k HDR material - then you'll see a big difference.

Thank you for your answers.
The reason that I asked for the upscaling capability is that I'll still probably watch 1080p 90% of the times in the short/mid term because TV channels, YouTube and part of my movies collection are still in 1080p. Maybe watching the upscaled 4K (from 1080p) on the UHD50 will probably result in the same quality as a good today 1080p projector. Here, I wonder if it's considerably better than the 4-5 years old 1080p projectors (BenQ W1070 or HT1075). I don't want to spend effort and money on the UHD50 and see almost no improvement on 1080p contents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for your answers.
The reason that I asked for the upscaling capability is that I'll still probably watch 1080p 90% of the times in the short/mid term because TV channels, YouTube and part of my movies collection are still in 1080p. Maybe watching the upscaled 4K (from 1080p) on the UHD50 will probably result in the same quality as a good today 1080p projector. Here, I wonder if it's considerably better than the 4-5 years old 1080p projectors (BenQ W1070 or HT1075). I don't want to spend effort and money on the UHD50 and see almost no improvement on 1080p contents.

I would say it's not worth spending the money if you mainly want to watch 1080p content on this projector. There are also other side effects like pixel shift buzzing and lighting border on this projector which you don't have on a 1080p device.

My personal opinion about UHD 50 is:

- 1080p content are ok to watch with HDR simulation via Power DVD (but pretty the same quality as on a 1080p projector)
- 4k HDR conents are a nice to have - clearly better contrasts and sharpness compared to 1080p (film fans will like this but I would prefer an OLED TV when I was just about to watch movies - contrasts are much better on a OLED)
- 2D gaming in [email protected] is a strong reason why you want to have this projector (only about 4-5 different models available on the market which support this so far). Till now you where limited to [email protected] or [email protected]
- 3D gaming will blow you away with this projector. This is the real reason why you would want to spend 1400€ on a projector! This is so much better than 4k HDR...

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
I just read a new posting by Art of Projector Reviews on this HUD50 and the 51A. He says in his review that the 50 has FI. Is he mistaken?

·
Registered
7 Posts
HD 5570 should work, except it probably does not have hardware decoding for MVC (the 3D h.264 encoding), but the processor should be able to do the decoding.

Checkerboard is not frame sequential, it is one of the formats that is "frame-compatible" - that is, both left- and right-eye views of the 3D are sent in one 1080p frame, with half resolution - those can be produced by any non-3D capable video player, but need the video display to be capable of processing them to show in 3D.

Make sure your HDMI cable is high speed. Set the video to the frame-sequential compatible (with HDMI 1.4) resolution and refresh rate 720p at 120Hz, and restart. PowerDVD then *should* show the frame-sequential option - AFAIR, it is labeled "3D-ready DLP 120 Hz" or similar. Make sure the projector is set to DLP 3D. Play a 3D disk, video or simulated 3D (converted from 2D by PDVD). If it works, the picture from the projector will "double" (showing both views of the 3D), and look washed out (from the added DLP synching light flash).

My PDVD doesnt seem to recognize HDMI 1.4. The only option I am able to select is checkerboard.I played this on the PJ but dont really think I got 3D out of it.

Used Stereoscopic player and was able to sync it with my 3D DLP glasses. However in stereoscopic player, I could only use the Preferred Viewing method as 'Monoscopic'. When I switched to 'Stereoscopic' mode, the whole video was very shaky (probably what some people where referring to as judder). The video in monoscopic mode was of extremely high quality. Just wish I could get the same in Stereoscopic.

Attachments

981 - 1000 of 1796 Posts