AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking about upgrading to 4K. How does this compare to Benq W2000, the big brother of W1070 which has a better lens? Especially interested in contrast, black levels and color accuracy to understand how much of an upgrade (downgrade?) this would be in addition to resolution improvement.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ok so I get the faulty actuator but why are we not hearing about this issue from other PJs that use the same chip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that it’s a cooling problem that’s causing the actuator to fail at a higher percentage than competitors. The Optoma HD50 chassis is much smaller than the rest of the .47 XBR/DMD models.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My guess is that it’s a cooling problem that’s causing the actuator to fail at a higher percentage than competitors. The Optoma HD50 chassis is much smaller than the rest of the .47 XBR/DMD models.

I just read Kreationz post after I posted this. So yeah, I think he’s right.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Actuator didn't "fail" - it came "bad" (louder) out of a new box. I believe it was a bad batch or mfg variance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I received my replacement UHD50 directly from Optoma and I have been setting up all night. I am ecstatic. This projector is outstanding. There is basically NO buzz or maybe I should say it is so faint it is hardly audible. Maybe they had a batch that buzzed or changed something in the production but as far as I am concerned they solved the issue (at least in my new unit)
4K HDR is amazing and 1080P looks very similar to other 1080P images – it is a notch below 4K and It makes you want everything in 4K.
Monday Night Football looked great and so did my 4K Ghostbusters Blue Ray.
It is a significant step up from my Panasonic 1080P LCD AE4000.
Did you receive a new unit, a refurbished one or did they fix the original? I am considering this projector to replace my Epson 3020. I purchased the Epson brand new but it had an issue so I sent it to Epson and they sent me a refurbished unit. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. Even though I paid $400 more for a new projector I ended up with a refurbished anyway. I’m wondering if I should just buy a refurbished to begin with. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
715 Posts
Did you receive a new unit, a refurbished one or did they fix the original? I am considering this projector to replace my Epson 3020. I purchased the Epson brand new but it had an issue so I sent it to Epson and they sent me a refurbished unit. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. Even though I paid $400 more for a new projector I ended up with a refurbished anyway. I’m wondering if I should just buy a refurbished to begin with. Thanks in advance
I sent it directly back to Optoma in CA. I received a completely new unopened different serial number projector. The new one is virtually silent, it has an awesome picture, and I am very pleased. 4K and the improved black levels (compared to my old Panasonic AE4000) are significant.

I can see why people who get to actually compare many projectors feel it is one of the best of the year. I feel that a 4K DLP is a way better picture than my older 1080P LCD. I believe a lot of movie theaters use DLP as well. The "people where I got my projector" :) took prompt care of the issue and Optoma delivered as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I sent it directly back to Optoma in CA. I received a completely new unopened different serial number projector. The new one is virtually silent, it has an awesome picture, and I am very pleased. 4K and the improved black levels (compared to my old Panasonic AE4000) are significant.

I can see why people who get to actually compare many projectors feel it is one of the best of the year. I feel that a 4K DLP is a way better picture than my older 1080P LCD. I believe a lot of movie theaters use DLP as well. The "people where I got my projector" :) took prompt care of the issue and Optoma delivered as well.
Thanks for your fast response. I had an Optoma before I got the Epson and I was pleased with it’s performance. Now I’m trying to decide whether between the UHD50 and UHD60. I’v heard more than one source say the UHD60’s was slightly better than the UHD50.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks for your fast response. I had an Optoma before I got the Epson and I was pleased with it’s performance. Now I’m trying to decide whether between the UHD50 and UHD60. I’v heard more than one source say the UHD60’s was slightly better than the UHD50.
No problem. 60 is probably slightly better - also slightly more $. That's the problem with this hobby - there is always something better. Pretty amazing that nowadays you can get a 4K HDR bright quiet projector with nearly perfect color reproduction and very good blacks for not much more than $1K.
Hard to lose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its hard to find replacement lamps for this projector. Is it a lamp thats universal for alot of similar projectors? Does anyone know?
Or does osram/other lamp supplier make slight different lamps for every projector?
If someone knows one that will fit then please let me know 🙂

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm upgrading from a 3D "fake 1080p" 720p Optoma gaming projector with 3000 lumens that has lasted me well over 6 years and wanted to get your opinions. I saw the UHD51ALVs was just recently released and has the same 3000 lumens rating as my current pj, which supposedly means the brightness is going to be significantly better than the UHD50 and 51A's 2400 rating. However, it just doesn't work with my budget. I have read about all the differences among the UHD50, UHD51A, UHD51ALV, and UHD60, and I'm wondering if I am making the right choice by going for a UHD50 (won't be arriving here till next week).

I primarily use my current pj at night when I get home from work (but also during the day on weekends), and when I say I use it, I'm talking about literally everything - even working on my pc/browsing the web/typing this very message on this forum. I don't have a room in my home that I can devote to a home theater with the screen size and viewing distance I desire other than my living room. I have it cast straight on a white wall with no screen, and the size of the projected screen comes out to about 130" more or less. I'm very happy with the setup, however, there are two 5 foot tall thin windows covered with black out curtains to the left of the wall I shoot at, and with it being football season and all, I never quite get the crisp picture I'd like in order to fully enjoy the game, due to ambient light coming from other parts of the house on sunny days. It's certainly a tolerable picture though, even on ECO mode, since my current Optoma is rated at 3000 lumens, but it's just a night and day difference in quality when in use after the sun goes down.

So with the UHD50 and its lower lumens rating, is this situation going to potentially be a lot worse during the day? I mean I thought about it, and I would assume majority of the population with pjs use them mostly at night and not during the day since we work, which was my justification for sacrificing on the brightness. The other reasons why I chose the UHD50 besides money were because of the RGBRGB color wheel supposedly reducing rainbow effect and focuses more on color than brightness, I have no need for screen mirroring/wifi and have no desire to buy an Alexa, plus I never use 3D anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Humming sound :(

I got one of those but unfortunately it came with the humming sound... :(
mine sounds exactly like the one on youtube, search for uhd50 humming sound

I contacted the retailer to see if I should file a warranty claim or they will replace it for me.

The image looks really good, I have to say a bit different from my previous Benq HT1075, but I'm sure I will get used to.

I'm wondering if anyone had calibrated this project, and can share the settings, I know that is one a case by case, but at least I would have something to start with.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I got one of those but unfortunately it came with the humming sound... :(

mine sounds exactly like the one on youtube, search for uhd50 humming sound

I contacted the retailer to see if I should file a warranty claim or they will replace it for me.

The image looks really good, I have to say a bit different from my previous Benq HT1075, but I'm sure I will get used to.

I'm wondering if anyone had calibrated this project, and can share the settings, I know that is one a case by case, but at least I would have something to start with.

Please let us know what Optoma says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Im concerned seeing the small review of 3dbob here. I thought the resolution on this projector would be 4k, but according to his images the projector more looks like 4k enhanced (just double the pixels, not 4 times)
Are there more people here who think its only a small upgrade from 1080p?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Im concerned seeing the small review of 3dbob here. I thought the resolution on this projector would be 4k, but according to his images the projector more looks like 4k enhanced (just double the pixels, not 4 times)
Are there more people here who think its only a small upgrade from 1080p?
that is an uninformed opinion that would extend to all 0.47" XPR chip PJ's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I read that the UHD50 has lower input Lag than the UHD51A, does anyone know why that would be? Aren’t the essentially the same machine?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, but shouldn’t the input lag be the same when FI is turned off?
Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware it makes no difference. All the currently released 0.47 DLP models with FI have higher input lag (circa 80ms v 50ms) regardless of the settings.
Must be something to do with the HDMI input path. Sad, but true (and crude).

1061 - 1080 of 1796 Posts