AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Total bummer the price went back up on this projector and it’s not going on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. It’s like the reverse of how this week is supposed to go.

Maybe a sign to just wait till CES.
Not supposed to talk about price in this forum, but how do you know it won't go down again next Monday? I purchased mine a few weeks ago thanks to a deal posted in these forums just to be safe, and you're making it seem like I made the right move.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not mentioning any specifics but I asked a sales rep on a different site, whose Black Friday deals just went live, if this projector was going on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday...they said no.
I’d go with the UHD51A which IS on sale but not really interested in the Alexa feature and FI negatively affects input lag, apparently.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah the UHD50 was up for grabs the past 2 weeks for much less than I see it's listed at this week. Just goes to show you BF isn't always the best day of the year for a deal. I just saw the 51A is actually discounted more this week than the 50, though still more than the 50 was last week, but still, this is so strange to see.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Total bummer the price went back up on this projector and it’s not going on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. It’s like the reverse of how this week is supposed to go.

Maybe a sign to just wait till CES.
warehouse deals at amazon are 20% off during black friday/cyber monday week.

You can also just wait for CES yeah...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Feeling lucky I nabbed mine when I did. Think I got one of the last cheap ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely let us know your thoughts on performance when you can. Specifically on Input lag in gaming and that light border, would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of the most glaring issues I have seen so far with this and Optoma projectors from what I have read in general is the lack of a solid and appealing drop style ceiling mount. I have close to an 11' ceiling in my media room and my wall with the screen also has an angle on it to boot. I have tried 3 different mounts that the manufacturers state work with the UHD50 however NONE of them have worked. Either they misadvertise drop length or I cannot for the life of me get the damned spider arms to align properly. The closest one I as able to get the arms locked in however the downpipe sits just about behind the projector housing. This doesn't seem like a good solution to me so can anyone please point me to a QUALITY mount that has a 24"-28" drop? I called Optoma and they recommended the BM-5001U, OCM815B, or the OCM818B-RU. Their mounts are far from elegant and look like you are suspending a garden rake from your ceiling. I have also read a ton of traffic of people complaining because they have terrible adjustment capability to include in most cases not even being able to adjust the pitch up/down.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys! Currently new in the home theater world and I'm planning to build my first ever home theater setup. I'm eyeing to purchase the Optoma UHD50 but my concern is the ceiling height from my attic. I've attached here the height measurement of the attic for your reference but I also indicated the measurements below.

a. Projector height from ceiling is only 5.75 feet
b. Planning to project a 100" screen

My question is, would this setup be possible? Will the height of the ceiling affect the picture that will be projected by the Optoma?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
There’s definitely a hum when the PJ is not actively displaying content but honestly I couldn’t measure it with my iPhone - it’s so quiet.

Once 4k/60 went on the fan kicked in and I really could t hear the hum anymore.

Translation: there’s definitely something there but it’s not bad enough for me to return it.

The hum is registering 38db but honestly that’s the iPhone. It measures 41 with the fan on and the benq measures 44. It seems quieter than the benq.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a recent uhd300x (UHD50) buyer and the fan noise is just awful.

I've uploaded a video of the noise. This has to be a defective unit, right?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought mine on Monday too, got a bundle deal with a mount, cables and other junk. Seems like there were a handful of those bundle units available, shortly after I bought the price went back up to what is now current price. Also haggled with various online store live chat folks but no success.

Sadly mine will only show up next week!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine sounds a bit like a refrigerator at times. It’s not all the time though.

JRock, how have you found the black levels and have you done anything to improve them?

I have a room with dark walls and blackout blinds and I have found the black levels to be just atrocious. I returned my first ever projector - a Sony VPL HS-1 - for this reason and the Optoma reminds me of that. Detail just gets swallowed up in the murky haze.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Slightly off topic. Frigging harmony... WHY can I not just swap out the benq with the Optoma on all my activities? And WHY can’t I change which devices go with thick activities on the iPhone app?!?

There is no other product on the market that delivers what harmony does for the price but damnation do I hate how stupid their set up process is.

1101 - 1120 of 1796 Posts