AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
You’re talking to the wrong guy. I came to this PJ from a benq w1070 and I think this PJ is amazing.

You guys who complain about colors and black levels - no offense but I think you are all nuts.

But I am not the most discerning HT enthusiast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest, I'm really not that fussy. I once used a multimedia projector in my HT and I was quite happy. When displaying bright 4k content, the picture is great, but darks scenes are a write off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you had the same noise as mine, you would be able to stand to it, it's very unpleasant.

To be honest, I'm really not that fussy. I once used a multimedia projector in my HT and I was quite happy. When displaying bright 4k content, the picture is great, but darks scenes are a write off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine was delivered 3 minutes ago.....

Reactions: JRock3x8

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used calibration settings from a reviewer and the blacks aren't quite as crushed as before.

It's still an incredibly disappointing machine. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used calibration settings from a reviewer and the blacks aren't quite as crushed as before.

It's still an incredibly disappointing machine. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

So in your opinion the contrast is terrible regardless of viewing content in 1080p or 4K? Sounds like you clearly won't be keeping this so what will you get instead?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts

Dude if you dislike it that much return it while you still can. Nothing worse than buyers remorse when you can’t fix it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was looking at the BenQ HT2150

Ah so you're not even interested in trying another 4K pj.

Well, it turns out my UHD50 ended up being on backorder so I probably have to wait at least another week before I even receive mine. I suppose that's the price I pay for saving a little money.

So after an entire year, this thread hasn't changed much. You still have people extremely dissatisfied with the picture quality, and others who find it breath taking. Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah so you're not even interested in trying another 4K pj.

Well, it turns out my UHD50 ended up being on backorder so I probably have to wait at least another week before I even receive mine. I suppose that's the price I pay for saving a little money.

So after an entire year, this thread hasn't changed much. You still have people extremely dissatisfied with the picture quality, and others who find it breath taking. Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself
I could have tolerated the picture quality but the noise of the pixel shifter is ridiculous.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Perhaps this is something I should have looked into earlier, but I did not realize the "short" throw ratio on the UHD50 starts at 1.21:1. I thought this was supposedly an ultra short throw pj?

My current (inoperable) Optoma has a throw ratio of 0.72:1, so I was able to cast an image over 130" from a distance as small as 8 feet, right on the coffee table. I guess these days a pj with a throw ratio like that is considered ultra ultra short? This is a little disappointing for my setup because it seems like in order to create an equivalent sized screen with the UHD50 it would need to be located at least 13 feet away, which is where my sofa is currently located.

Great :rolleyes:

EDIT: After factoring in the 1.3x zoom capability, the distance is actually more like 11.5 feet, which is slightly better, but still a far cry from the throw ratio of my old pj, plus by maxing out the zoom I'll lose light output.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Perhaps this is something I should have looked into earlier, but I did not realize the "short" throw ratio on the UHD50 starts at 1.21:1. I thought this was supposedly an ultra short throw pj?

My current (inoperable) Optoma has a throw ratio of 0.72:1, so I was able to cast an image over 130" from a distance as small as 8 feet, right on the coffee table. I guess these days a pj with a throw ratio like that is considered ultra ultra short? This is a little disappointing for my setup because it seems like in order to create an equivalent sized screen with the UHD50 it would need to be located at least 13 feet away, which is where my sofa is currently located.

Great :rolleyes:

EDIT: After factoring in the 1.3x zoom capability, the distance is actually more like 11.5 feet, which is slightly better, but still a far cry from the throw ratio of my old pj, plus by maxing out the zoom I'll lose light output.
Your old projector might perhaps be called a short short throw. UST are mounted < 2' from the screen.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
The noise of the pixel shifter is pretty annoying, is there any way to turn that off when not watching movies at high volume?

I can barely hear mine. I measured it with my phone and it’s a solid 5db quieter than the fan.

Maybe you have one of those defective units?

Also my PJ is a solid 6’ from my head.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I fired mine up last night, just projected Paddington 2 on an existing wall elsewhere in the house(HT room under DIY construction).

I can report no noise besides the fan, but I have to put my ear right up against it to hear it.

Now I'm wondering: the 4" great light border caused by the 0.47" TI DLP.....will that fade away on a black wall? My plan was to build my screen with a 3" velvet covered border. But if I can use that 2x 3" on both sides I can increase my picture size. So, what's your thoughts on how well the grey border will fade away on a black or similarly dark wall? How do you do it and do you see it?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I fired mine up last night, just projected Paddington 2 on an existing wall elsewhere in the house(HT room under DIY construction).

I can report no noise besides the fan, but I have to put my ear right up against it to hear it.

Now I'm wondering: the 4" great light border caused by the 0.47" TI DLP.....will that fade away on a black wall? My plan was to build my screen with a 3" velvet covered border. But if I can use that 2x 3" on both sides I can increase my picture size. So, what's your thoughts on how well the grey border will fade away on a black or similarly dark wall? How do you do it and do you see it?

I am projecting on to a rather large 138x78 screen. The light border spills on to the walls and the carpet. But the only time I can see it is when all the lights are out and the screen is “black” - then I notice the light border on the carpet in front of me.

Other than that I’ve never seen it other than the very first day when i projected it on a white wall.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My wall behind the screen is a dark purple (Dulux Colours Blackcurrant) and I don't notice the light border at all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The hum on my pj is really inconsistent but when it’s there during quiet moments yah it’s really distracting.

Sounds like you need a replacement.....

1121 - 1140 of 1796 Posts