AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
My wall behind the screen is a dark purple (Dulux Colours Blackcurrant) and I don't notice the light border at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great, thanks. I'm far from painting still, so I think I'll build my frame to be a full frameless screen and see how it looks.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

First post and not sure I'm doing this right, but here goes. Bought Optoma UHD50. When using PS4 Pro, DVD plays fine, games play fine (although projector does not seem to recognize HDR), streaming (Netflix, etc.) is fine, Blu-ray/4K discs have varying levels of snow/static. Have tried both the HDMI 4K and HDMI inputs--same issue. Tested setup with Samsung TV using same cables, no snow problem. Tried going from PS4 out straight to projector, but then can't see PS4 home page (weird). Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Hi all,

First post and not sure I'm doing this right, but here goes. Bought Optoma UHD50. When using PS4 Pro, DVD plays fine, games play fine (although projector does not seem to recognize HDR), streaming (Netflix, etc.) is fine, Blu-ray/4K discs have varying levels of snow/static. Have tried both the HDMI 4K and HDMI inputs--same issue. Tested setup with Samsung TV using same cables, no snow problem. Tried going from PS4 out straight to projector, but then can't see PS4 home page (weird). Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

That’s gotta be a bad cable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Make sure the cable is rated for 4k and it's not too long. You want to keep it under 3 metres if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Make sure the cable is rated for 4k and it's not too long. You want to keep it under 3 metres if possible.

Thanks. The projector is ceiling mounted and cable runs a good 25 ft. with connections from receiver to wall and ceiling to projector. If it is a cable issue, is there a reason why same cable run displays perfectly on Samsung TV?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Thanks. The projector is ceiling mounted and cable runs a good 25 ft. with connections from receiver to wall and ceiling to projector. If it is a cable issue, is there a reason why same cable run displays perfectly on Samsung TV?

Does the tv do 4k and HDR?

Those require more bandwidth.

You want a cable that is rated for 18Gbps. I have a 25’ cable that does all that no problem from monoprice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the TV 4k HDR? For the length you should be using an active HDMI cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE: plugged PS4 Pro directly into back of projector (no long cable run) and image is perfect, so issue must be too many hdmi-to-hdmi connections in cable or Sony DA5800ES receiver (which handles 4K, but not sure about HDR). Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Probably cancelling my order on the UHD50 now that I've realized I'll most likely need to set up a ceiling mount to use it in my living room with the desired screen size I've grown accustom to with my old pj. I was willing to live with this pj's issues such as the light border, mediocre contrast, and the noisy actuator as long as I could still use it on the coffee table like the old one. But to have to go through the hassle of buying a ceiling mount, running cables, and so on just isn't worth it to me for a pj with all the known the issues this one has. Shame

·
Registered
211 Posts
UPDATE: plugged PS4 Pro directly into back of projector (no long cable run) and image is perfect, so issue must be too many hdmi-to-hdmi connections in cable or Sony DA5800ES receiver (which handles 4K, but not sure about HDR). Thanks.

Odly enough I ran in to the same issue last night when I hooked up my brand new uhd50. I removed my 30' monoprice cable and like magic 4k worked, my Xbox one errors that 4k and hdr works fine. Watching avatar now, looks good. (Yes, basement is unfinished, work in progress.)

I ordered a 50' fiber optic cable from monoprice on current promo code "hdmi". I hope this works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Odly enough I ran in to the same issue last night when I hooked up my brand new uhd50. I removed my 30' monoprice cable and like magic 4k worked, my Xbox one errors that 4k and hdr works fine. Watching avatar now, looks good. (Yes, basement is unfinished, work in progress.)

I ordered a 50' fiber optic cable from monoprice on current promo code "hdmi". I hope this works.

Interesting. I may try the fiber optic. BTW, that screen looks fantastic!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Probably cancelling my order on the UHD50 now that I've realized I'll most likely need to set up a ceiling mount to use it in my living room with the desired screen size I've grown accustom to with my old pj. I was willing to live with this pj's issues such as the light border, mediocre contrast, and the noisy actuator as long as I could still use it on the coffee table like the old one. But to have to go through the hassle of buying a ceiling mount, running cables, and so on just isn't worth it to me for a pj with all the known the issues this one has. Shame

I’m told next year is the year for short throw budget PJs so keep those eyes open during CES

·
Registered
63 Posts
So it looks like my order got shipped this morning and it's too late for me to cancel. I suppose I should have done that last night instead of waiting for today but I figured doing that on Sunday wouldn't have made a difference. They told me to just reject the package when it arrives if I still don't want it. Guess I might as well just give it a shot at this point?

Oh and JRock, I asked an Optoma support rep about the buzzing noise and they basically told me that all UHD50/UHD51 pjs produce that noise and that it's caused by the actuator component which they can't do much about. It's just the way the pj is built. They claim some people notice it more than others depending on their hearing and where they have the pj located in their room. They recommend buying or building a hush box if it's intolerable.

Yeah...seems like with this pj you have to be cool with making all sorts of compromises in exchange for keeping more dollars in your wallet. The question is whether it's worth all the hassle. Then again, the next model up (UHD60) doesn't even have keystone adjustment and has less than spectacular reviews given its cost. Maybe I should be looking into a different brand all together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So it looks like my order got shipped this morning and it's too late for me to cancel. I suppose I should have done that last night instead of waiting for today but I figured doing that on Sunday wouldn't have made a difference. They told me to just reject the package when it arrives if I still don't want it. Guess I might as well just give it a shot at this point?

Oh and JRock, I asked an Optoma support rep about the buzzing noise and they basically told me that all UHD50/UHD51 pjs produce that noise and that it's caused by the actuator component which they can't do much about. It's just the way the pj is built. They claim some people notice it more than others depending on their hearing and where they have the pj located in their room. They recommend buying or building a hush box if it's intolerable.

Yeah...seems like with this pj you have to be cool with making all sorts of compromises in exchange for keeping more dollars in your wallet. The question is whether it's worth all the hassle. Then again, the next model up (UHD60) doesn't even have keystone adjustment and has less than spectacular reviews given its cost. Maybe I should be looking into a different brand all together.
The problem is that the UHD50 has a shorter throw distance than all the other budget 4k projectors on the market. If space is tight, this makes the UHD50 the only real option.

There are some Chinese laser UST projectors out there that accept 4k sources but downscale to 1080p.

After all my complaining, I've decided to preserve with this machine given my needs. A bit of tweaking has dramatically improved the PQ, and the hum is frequent but not constant. I'm not sure a quiet box is practical for me.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
The problem is that the UHD50 has a shorter throw distance than all the other budget 4k projectors on the market. If space is tight, this makes the UHD50 the only real option.

Exactly. Benq is releasing a true successor to the w1070 next year but it is aimed at the $2000 market not the $1000 market.

Too high of a jump for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I could have tolerated the picture quality but the noise of the pixel shifter is ridiculous.

Good luck with it.

Hi, did you send the UHD50 back or try and get a warranty replacement? Yours sounded louder than other videos I've seen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, did you send the UHD50 back or try and get a warranty replacement? Yours sounded louder than other videos I've seen.
No, I've kept it. Truthfully, I just couldn't be bothered sending it back. The actuator hum isn't constant - sometimes it's not going at all. So I've decided to just keep it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones. The goes on of course and if the movie has a quiet period I hear it as its pretty much right above my head. I don't think that can be done in a more quiet way.

Anyways, my biggest gripe is with the cable. Since the PJ is so far away from the rest of the equipment I need a long cable, I'm sure we all do. What cables do you guys use? My monoprice Cabernet cable didn't work so I sent it back(after Amazon charged me 15% handling fee). I now bought a optical hdmi cable from monoprice directly, had them on 20% this past weekend, until tomorrow I think.

Do you keep your equipment in front, next to the screen or outside your HT room?

1141 - 1160 of 1796 Posts