AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello, an info for setting the focus.
if you set it as soon as it is turned on, is it blurry after 2 hours?

also all areas of the pattern are in focus?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
hello, an info for setting the focus.
if you set it as soon as it is turned on, is it blurry after 2 hours?

also all areas of the pattern are in focus?

My UHD50 has pretty good focus across my 145in screen.

Almost all projectors will show some defocus after ~20 minutes of operation, if you focus it at startup. The rule of thumb for all projectors is to focus on startup, but then wait for about 20mins and then do your final focus, and never touch it again, unless you move the projector. My UHD50 holds focus and I never adjust it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
its ok to set focus after 20 minutes, can you send me a photo of pattern for see all area and focus? many thnaks
You can use any image for focus and there are lots of 4K test patterns available on youtube.

The best way to focus accurately is to use an optical aid such as:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3117620-benq-tk850-4k-hdr10-hlg-3000lm-home-entertainment-projector-review-owners-thread-3.html#post59176076

and these can be purchased quite inexpensively. Read the next few posts after the above, to get more info.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The UHD50 will accept 4:4:4 and should be fed this whenever possible. I just got my UHD50 up (143in image at 12ft 7in) and running and I am very happy with the color and it seems at least as bright as my W1070 cinema mode when in HDR Bright mode. I use bright lamp with dynamic black turned on. It works best with 1080p content when it is upscaled to 4k at the source - my Sony X700 seems to do well in this regard.

When fed HDR content the projector tends to seem dimmer than the W1070 (I am working from memory), but this is a function of the HDR encoding and it requires some tweaking to get it optimized. When fed 1080p upscaled to 4K at the source the UHD50 seems just as bright.

My UHD50 is extremely quiet and is easily the quietest projector I've used. It also has decent on-board stereo speakers which is nice for youtube lectures and podcasts.

Compared to the Viewsonic PX-747 that I had previously, it is dimmer but has superior colour saturation and accuracy yet the PX-747's brightness worked well when fed HDR content. The UHD50 seems somewhat sharper. In the future I might try a UHD51ALV and I wish there was a UHD50ALV. Having said that I do wish that both HDMI inputs were 2.0 as per the UHD51ALV since my UBP-X700 doesn't support Primevideo in Canada and I'll need another 4K HDR source for that.

I watched the following HDR BDs on the UHD50:

2001 - Awesome! Really nice rich colour, with good blacks while the HDR really adds something extra. See the attachment for a sample; the slight halo around the helmet is encoded into the frame. I should have used a tripod when I took the image.

BR2049 - The UHD50 handled this extremely well and seemed to have no problems rendering the HDR effects and colour accurately, at least to my eyes.

Avengers IW - Another treat. The colour saturation and accuracy was quite superior to the PX-747 but I did occasionally miss the extra brightness of the PX-747, especially as I have a fairly low gain, grey screen.

Finally I tried the 1080P Star Wars IV ANH, upscaled via the X700 and it was also a treat to watch, seeming noticeably sharper than when fed to the projector without being upscaled.

Edit: Bright mode on the UHD50 is more usable, albeit perhaps not quite as bright, than on the W1070 and with some reduction in the Green Gain setting gives fairly neutral colour which makes daytime TV watchable.

Wow! Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still trying to figure out the firmware update for the UHD50. Has anyone here successfully completed it themselves? Procedure 3 requires loading firmware from a USB drive connected to the power USB port on the projector, but it never works. I never get the LED combinations I am supposed to be seeing, and I always end up having to reboot it.

Here's a rundown of the specific place in the instructions I am getting stuck:
>5. Press and hold MENU key on UHD50. Plug-in power cable. Power LED will flash Red/Blue (rapidly).

>6. Release MENU key once the Lamp LED is flashing RED (LED in the middle).

>7. The Power LED will flash Red/Blue and the Temp LED will be solid RED – Firmware Upgrade is now in progress. The Firmware Upgrade process takes roughly 1 minute.

>8. When the Firmware Upgrade is complete, the power LED will turn solid RED.

>9. Unplug the Power Cable on the Projector for 30 seconds -- then insert the Power Cable.

On 7 I get one blue flash, then the Lamp LED (not temp) goes solid red, and power flashes red. It just stays in that state until I unplug the projector.

One thing I noticed was the file name in the instructions is "OPTOMA_UHD50_Scaler_MST9U13Q1_C07_0x6C9E_svn706.bin", but the actual file name in the download is "OPTOMA_UHD50_Scaler_MST9U13Q1_C07_0xCBEA_svn706.bin"

The instructions tell me to rename it to UHD50, and I have, but is this something that could stop it from working?

Optoma customer service just wants me to send it in and pay ~$200 total to complete the firmware update.

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Still trying to figure out the firmware update for the UHD50. Has anyone here successfully completed it themselves? Procedure 3 requires loading firmware from a USB drive connected to the power USB port on the projector, but it never works. I never get the LED combinations I am supposed to be seeing, and I always end up having to reboot it.

Here's a rundown of the specific place in the instructions I am getting stuck:
>5. Press and hold MENU key on UHD50. Plug-in power cable. Power LED will flash Red/Blue (rapidly).

>6. Release MENU key once the Lamp LED is flashing RED (LED in the middle).

>7. The Power LED will flash Red/Blue and the Temp LED will be solid RED – Firmware Upgrade is now in progress. The Firmware Upgrade process takes roughly 1 minute.

>8. When the Firmware Upgrade is complete, the power LED will turn solid RED.

>9. Unplug the Power Cable on the Projector for 30 seconds -- then insert the Power Cable.

On 7 I get one blue flash, then the Lamp LED (not temp) goes solid red, and power flashes red. It just stays in that state until I unplug the projector.

One thing I noticed was the file name in the instructions is "OPTOMA_UHD50_Scaler_MST9U13Q1_C07_0x6C9E_svn706.bin", but the actual file name in the download is "OPTOMA_UHD50_Scaler_MST9U13Q1_C07_0xCBEA_svn706.bin"

The instructions tell me to rename it to UHD50, and I have, but is this something that could stop it from working?

Optoma customer service just wants me to send it in and pay ~$200 total to complete the firmware update.

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
I have't tried it yet. What firmware version do you have now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't you have to use Step One or two to update System at 03? See the readme first pdf.

My system is showing as C6.
Customer Service told me step 3 is the system update. I already ran the first two procedures in the readme with no issues, and got the expected results. The third is the one that keeps failing.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Customer Service told me step 3 is the system update. I already ran the first two procedures in the readme with no issues, and got the expected results. The third is the one that keeps failing.
Well, I bit the bullet and did the upgrade....

I went directly to step 5 (because my firmware versions indicated that I could skip the previous steps), which is to copy the firmware bin file to a flashdrive and rename it UHD50.bin . I had to use the service menu, via the HC cheat codes, to check my firmware versions because only System and MCU show in my Menu->Info-> FW version display.

I followed the directions and all seemed well except for programming the EDID:

"Program Auto EDID – Please follow the instructions below “precisely”.
1. Remove all source cables from input port of the projector.
2. Press and hold Menu key, then plug-in the power cable. The power LED will rapidly flash RED and BLUE.
3. Release Menu key when power LED flashes BLUE.
4. LED will turn “PURPLE” for several seconds – do not touch any keys on the keypad.
5. When power LED flashes RED and lamp and temp LED flashes GREEN, press the Menu key.
6. After several seconds (10 to 15), the power LED will turn RED. Auto Programming is now complete.
7. Remove power cable, insert power cable, power on projector and use as normal."

The lamp and temp LEDs did not flash green as per step 5! IIRC, they were orange. After a few minutes I pressed the menu key and it turned red, so I repeated the process, with the same result. I thought I might have bricked it...However, I turned on the projector with the remote, checked the UHD50 firmware and System is showing as C07, and connected to my HTPC on HDMI1 and my Sony X700 on HDMI2, but the X700 3D BD player with a 3D BD in it would not recognize the UHD50 as 3D capable.

I turned off the projector with the remote, turned off the x700 with it's remote.
I turned on the UHD50 again, with the remote, and switched to HDMI2 and turned on the X700 and low and behold, it recognized the UHD50 as 3D capable and displayed the 3D BD (Passengers 2016) in 3D mode! Awesome!

I switched to HDMI1 and now the HTPC recognized the UHD50 as being 3D capable as well! Anyways, I will acquire some 3D glasses and try it out.

So after some misadventures I got it working.

Switching from a 3D source to a 4K source will require the projector to switch from non-XPR to XPR mode and this will take ~20 seconds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and did the upgrade....

I went directly to step 5 (because my firmware versions indicated that I could skip the previous steps), which is to copy the firmware bin file to a flashdrive and rename it UHD50.bin . I had to use the service menu, via the HC cheat codes, to check my firmware versions because only System and MCU show in my Menu->Info-> FW version display.

I followed the directions and all seemed well except for programming the EDID:

"Program Auto EDID – Please follow the instructions below “precisely”.
1. Remove all source cables from input port of the projector.
2. Press and hold Menu key, then plug-in the power cable. The power LED will rapidly flash RED and BLUE.
3. Release Menu key when power LED flashes BLUE.
4. LED will turn “PURPLE” for several seconds – do not touch any keys on the keypad.
5. When power LED flashes RED and lamp and temp LED flashes GREEN, press the Menu key.
6. After several seconds (10 to 15), the power LED will turn RED. Auto Programming is now complete.
7. Remove power cable, insert power cable, power on projector and use as normal."

The lamp and temp LEDs did not flash green as per step 5! IIRC, they were orange. After a few minutes I pressed the menu key and it turned red, so I repeated the process, with the same result. I thought I might have bricked it...However, I turned on the projector with the remote, checked the UHD50 firmware and System is showing as C07, and connected to my HTPC on HDMI1 and my Sony X700 on HDMI2, but the X700 3D BD player with a 3D BD in it would not recognize the UHD50 as 3D capable.

I turned off the projector with the remote, turned off the x700 with it's remote.
I turned on the UHD50 again, with the remote, and switched to HDMI2 and turned on the X700 and low and behold, it recognized the UHD50 as 3D capable and displayed the 3D BD (Passengers 2016) in 3D mode! Awesome!

I switched to HDMI1 and now the HTPC recognized the UHD50 as being 3D capable as well! Anyways, I will acquire some 3D glasses and try it out.

So after some misadventures I got it working.

So you had no issues with the actual firmware update via the USB drive? That is interesting. I wonder if I just have a faulty port. How did you access the service menu? I can't seem to get to that, either.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
So you had no issues with the actual firmware update via the USB drive? That is interesting. I wonder if I just have a faulty port. How did you access the service menu? I can't seem to get to that, either.
Firmware update went as per the Step 3_9U13 instructions

I had to use the UHZ65 HC cheat codes:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/622573-service-menu-access-codes-official-request-thread-55.html#post55906796

You may have to experiment a bit, but I wouldn't bother if all 3 firmware codes are showing in the Menu->info-Firmware screen.

Is your flashdrive formatted in Fat32? You might try reformatting it and trying again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Firmware update went as per the Step 3_9U13 instructions

I had to use the UHZ65 HC cheat codes:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/622573-service-menu-access-codes-official-request-thread-55.html#post55906796

You may have to experiment a bit, but I wouldn't bother if all 3 firmware codes are showing in the Menu->info-Firmware screen.

Is your flashdrive formatted in Fat32? You might try reformatting it and trying again.
I've tried reformatting, tried other flash drives, tried about a hundred other things. It just isn't working. Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid, but I don't know what it could be... I might have to just bite the bullet and send it in.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I've tried reformatting, tried other flash drives, tried about a hundred other things. It just isn't working. Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid, but I don't know what it could be... I might have to just bite the bullet and send it in.
Are all 3 firmware codes showing in the menu -> firmware screen?

1661 - 1680 of 1796 Posts