AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any suggestions where to get 3d glasses for uhd50x? Got it today. After 2150st the image is way sharper. Ran a few 4k hdr videos - looks decent, I'm impressed.
All of your thoughts compared to the 2150ST would be very interesting. That's basically the old measuring stick for this arena. Low latency, great blacks for DLP, etc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks everyone for the lumens debate. I think I understand it a little better but am still having a hard time predicting whether the UHD50X will stack up to my current Epson HC2100. I suspect much better overall due to advancements in the technology and with better resolution/refresh rates for heavy PC use.

Edit: After looking a bit more closely, I might got with the Epson HC3800 instead because brightness is important to me. This will allow me to get close to the brightness of the HC2100's 'normal' mode (37db fan noise) with the 'eco' mode of the HC3800 (26db). Wanted the higher refresh rate and it's kinda too bad HC3800 doesn't offer that with 1080p, but I don't think I can handle how dim the Optoma would seem coming off of the Epson.

The 0.8 gain will give you better contrast but also a dimmer looking image. And coming from the 82" NU8000 which appears to be a pretty bright display coming from a huge surface, I think you'll find projectors in general much dimmer. I actually found TVs to kinda 'hurt' my eyes after long viewing in the dark whereas projectors generally don't have the same effect.

What prompted you to switch from the NU8000? Looks like an awesome TV at 82". I'm impressed by grey uniformity, input lag, contrast, resolution support all in one package.

Edit: I am understanding now that this projector is pretty dim compared to what I'm used to with the Epson HC2100.
I’m replacing an Epson 3700, and I’m concerned about brightness as well. I wish there was a measured test of this projector.

I’m wondering how I would connect my pc to this projector. I don’t want to run another hdmi cable through the ceiling if I don’t have to. Maybe I could use an hdmi switch?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Originally Posted by bidwood View Post
Thanks everyone for the lumens debate. I think I understand it a little better but am still having a hard time predicting whether the UHD50X will stack up to my current Epson HC2100. I suspect much better overall due to advancements in the technology and with better resolution/refresh rates for heavy PC use.

Edit: After looking a bit more closely, I might got with the Epson HC3800 instead because brightness is important to me. This will allow me to get close to the brightness of the HC2100's 'normal' mode (37db fan noise) with the 'eco' mode of the HC3800 (26db). Wanted the higher refresh rate and it's kinda too bad HC3800 doesn't offer that with 1080p, but I don't think I can handle how dim the Optoma would seem coming off of the Epson.

I’m replacing an Epson 3700, and I’m concerned about brightness as well. I wish there was a measured test of this projector.

I’m wondering how I would connect my pc to this projector. I don’t want to run another hdmi cable through the ceiling if I don’t have to. Maybe I could use an hdmi switch?
The UHD52ALV uses a very similar light engine and was measured at 1820/1220 lumens in Cinema mode in High (Dynamic)/Low lamp mode. The HC3800 was measured at:

------------------High-------Medium-----Eco
Bright Cinema--- 2,269-- 2,080-- 1,683
Cinema---- 1,623 1,488 1,204

However lamp life is only 3500hrs/4000/5000 at high/medium/eco lamp and consequently the lamp will dim rapidly, additionally high lamp is quite noisy. OTOH, the UHD50X lamp is rated at 4000hrs/10,000/15,000 in High/Low/Dynamic with Dynamic lamp mode actually providing slightly higher output than High lamp in many tests, when called for by scene content, and because it emulates a dynamic iris, it is the preferred mode for most users.

I use one of these 4x2 HDMI switches and it works very well:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-3800-Projector-Review.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-UHD52ALV-4K-UHD-Projector-Review.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
All of your thoughts compared to the 2150ST would be very interesting. That's basically the old measuring stick for this arena. Low latency, great blacks for DLP, etc.
I'll record a review and comparison with 2150ST once I receive my projector shelf. Since it's not a short throw like 2150ST i need to move it back a few feet.

DunMunro, thanks for the advice. Gonna test it next week.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The UHD52ALV uses a very similar light engine and was measured at 1820/1220 lumens in Cinema mode in High (Dynamic)/Low lamp mode. The HC3800 was measured at:

------------------High-------Medium-----Eco
Bright Cinema---2,269--2,080--1,683
Cinema----1,6231,4881,204

However lamp life is only 3500hrs/4000/5000 at high/medium/eco lamp and consequently the lamp will dim rapidly, additionally high lamp is quite noisy. OTOH, the UHD50X lamp is rated at 4000hrs/10,000/15,000 in High/Low/Dynamic with Dynamic lamp mode actually providing slightly higher output than High lamp in many tests, when called for by scene content, and because it emulates a dynamic iris, it is the preferred mode for most users.

I use one of these 4x2 HDMI switches and it works very well:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-3800-Projector-Review.htm

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-UHD52ALV-4K-UHD-Projector-Review.htm

With the HDMI splitter, if the projector doesn’t have HDMI arc will this splitter provide it even though it will be plugged into a the projectors regular HDMI port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
With the HDMI splitter, if the projector doesn’t have HDMI arc will this splitter provide it even though it will be plugged into a the projectors regular HDMI port?

I can't use ARC with my system so I use the HDMI switch's Coax output (which works fine). The manual for the switch states that HDMI output 'A' will function as an ARC if output 'B' is used for the display (which could be a 4K projector).

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't use ARC with my system so I use the HDMI switch's Coax output (which works fine). The manual for the switch states that HDMI output 'A' will function as an ARC if output 'B' is used for the display (which could be a 4K projector).

Okay so with the Epson 3800 I will be able to get ARC then! Excellent! Was not too keen on using their audio output

·
Registered
89 Posts
I currently have the Optoma UHD40 (UHD50 in USA) and I'm really happy with it... at night time. I use it in a standard apartment living room and during the day there is a fair amount of ambient light and the projector is mostly unusable unless I close all of the blinds making the room very dark, which my girlfriend hates. It is rated at 2400 lumens.

This new UHD50X is rated at 3400 lumens I believe.

Would upgrading to this projector make a noticeable difference in terms of it being more serviceable in the daytime without having to close all of my blinds to be able to get a half decent picture? I wouldn't expect it to be perfect, and it doesn't have to be, just a noticeable improvement would suffice...

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I currently have the Optoma UHD40 (UHD50 in USA) and I'm really happy with it... at night time. I use it in a standard apartment living room and during the day there is a fair amount of ambient light and the projector is mostly unusable unless I close all of the blinds making the room very dark, which my girlfriend hates. It is rated at 2400 lumens.

Would upgrading to this projector make a noticeable difference in terms of it being more serviceable in the daytime without having to close all of my blinds to be able to get a half decent picture? I wouldn't expect it to be perfect, and it doesn't have to be, just a noticeable improvement would suffice...
I think it would help. I found the Viewsonic PX747-4k (probably similar in output to a UHD50X) to be better for daytime viewing than my UHD50. However I was able to tune my UHD50 for better daytime viewing and I describe how here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2947088-optoma-uhd50-50.html#post58340808

It helps to use a grey screen during daylight viewing.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

Rated lumens and actual lumens are two different things. The UHD50x is ~1700 lumens in regular modes and the UHD50/40 is at ~1100. Even with more lumens the problems would not be resolved simply because where there are shadows/dark parts of the picture the projector is not sending light and ambient light reveals the real color of the screen.

The only type of contact that this might work if very bright content, and even then it depends how much ambient light there is.

Projectors are not TV's and should be used in darkened environments. You can do a few things to reduce light pollution, such as paint the walls/dark fabrics, lights in the viewing area and not the screen area, recessed lights, no light hitting the screen. And a grey screen. ALR screens are not suitable for this projector due to it's limited throw ratio.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I think it would help. I found the Viewsonic PX747-4k (probably similar in output to a UHD50X) to be better for daytime viewing than my UHD50. However I was able to tune my UHD50 for better daytime viewing and I describe how here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2947088-optoma-uhd50-50.html#post58340808

It helps to use a grey screen during daylight viewing.
Just to test my own recommendation, I am typing this on a very sunny day, using my UHD50 as a computer monitor on my 145in grey screen. I just watched a popular TV show (pre-recorded) on the UHD50 using my recommended settings and it was fine. Shadow details were still viewable and colour was fine too. No, not as good as TV but still more enoyable to watch, due to the very large image.

I did close the drapes (and they are blackout drapes) at the screen end of my living room, but I had a couple of windows open at the seating end of the room.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The hdmi length is 15 meters. Ive fixed the problem i was having with buying a fiber optic hdmi cable and everything works fine now to signal loss

·
Registered
16,483 Posts
So has anyone here been playing PC games at 240Hz on this unit?

Impressions..?

:)
- Jason

·
Registered
16,483 Posts
I did, I didn't notice any difference with 60hz compared to 240hz. But I'm not a professional gamer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Considering the input lag variance is only about 8ms from 60Hz to 240Hz on this unit that's not too surprising.

I am more curious about motion handling at 240Hz, DLP is already so good in this regard that a 240Hz image should be silky smooth (and ~16ms is still very solid).

- Jason

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Does Optoma have any plans for a short-throw version of this (or any of their other 4k)?

seems like all their upcoming short-throws will accept a 4k signal but aren't 4k.

coming off a w1080st so I need about a .5 throw (5ft for 120")

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone checked the 3D modes on this projector? I'm specifically wondering if it can take a 1080p 60hz SBS signal and make it 3D, and if this introduces any input lag. Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Alright guys. Need some advice. I have the 142x Optoma now(pretty sure it’s the 142). I’ve been eyeballing the uhd60 for the last year. I’m finally ready to upgrade. On amazon when I click on uhd60 and click new 2020 model the uhd50x comes up. So is that the new 60? Or will a new one come out equal to the 60?

Anyway i wanna staybunder $2000 as much as possible. I’d love $1200 or so. But I’m sure that is unrealistic.

I watch football the most and lots of movies. I do play a lot of first person shooters online like halo(well I plan on getting back to playing a lot :)

My man cave is 16’x36’

Walls are really really dark gray.

Screen is some kind of vinyl? 96” is my screen size. It was given to me about 4 years ago when I remodeled a guys house and we built him a full fledged theatre room. Epic! Bar and everything.

I sit exactly 12’ from the screen

The projector now is mounted on the ceiling at 12’. The mount now can swing froward or backwards a foot or I can simply move it.

I have a 3n1 pool table and a dual basketball setup so I need to keep with the more lumens so I can keep the lights on if I want to hang out shooting pool. Good news is that i have 8 can lights in the room. 4 lights a towards the front and 4 setup in the back. So I can easily shut off the 4 front and dim the back lights.

So thoughts on moving to the new projector?

Oh. I also have 2 tcl 55” TVs setup to the left and right of the projector for football season. Or my kids wanna come hang out. I can watch ufc, grand baby can watch Disney, and my daughter can play Super Nintendo or Xbox. I have the Xbox and Super Nintendo Hooked up through a hdmi splittter at the moment so you can play halo or Super Nintendo on any of the 3 TVs.

Attachments

221 - 240 of 584 Posts