AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 624 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest the next gen consoles will not be capable of rendering anything playable at 4k @ 120Hz. You will likely see 1080p @ 120Hz or 4K @ 60 selectable for some games. I do agree I'd like to keep everything in the HDMI chain at 2.1, and I can't justify upgrading to anything less in 2020.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I game on a PC that has the hardware to handle 4k120 better than any of the consoles are going to, so hdmi 2.1 is a must in order to get me to upgrade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How does the Epson 5050UB compare to this projector? I almost pulled the trigger on the 5050UB but I just discovered this projector existed. I wanted to play my Xbox One X at 60Hz and the 5050UB satisfied that need and had low input lag. I will be displaying on a 135 inch screen and have power/hdmi hookups in the ceiling at about 12 or 13 feet away in the ceiling.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
How does the Epson 5050UB compare to this projector? I almost pulled the trigger on the 5050UB but I just discovered this projector existed. I wanted to play my Xbox One X at 60Hz and the 5050UB satisfied that need and had low input lag. I will be displaying on a 135 inch screen and have power/hdmi hookups in the ceiling at about 12 or 13 feet away in the ceiling.
The 5050UB is a much superior projector picture quality wise.

The UHD50X is a DLP which means better motion handling, but typical DLP contrast and black level, which is not good.
The DLP might be sharper depending on the seating distance, source, and other factors.

The 5050UB is also brighter, has higher DCI P3 coverage, with or without the filter, active iris, motorized lenses, quieter, has motion interpolation, proper lens shift, more throw ratio, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 5050UB is a much superior projector picture quality wise.

The UHD50X is a DLP which means better motion handling, but typical DLP contrast and black level, which is not good.
The DLP might be sharper depending on the seating distance, source, and other factors.

The 5050UB is also brighter, has higher DCI P3 coverage, with or without the filter, active iris, motorized lenses, quieter, has motion interpolation, proper lens shift, more throw ratio, etc.
I guess I am trying to figure out if the UHD50X will satisfy my requirement. As someone that doesn't know much at all about projectors, aside from the fact that I want to use this 135 inch screen that I have. This will be ceiling mounted and once adjusted it will most likely stay that way. In that case, does active iris and motorized lenses matter to me? It will be stationary. Is motion interpolation important? Will I really notice the difference if I am not a videofile? Side by side, will I really notice the difference? Maybe this a matter of preference. It is hard for me to make a decision on this and will the benefits you mentioned be worth it in my scenario? Thank you for your quick response!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I guess I am trying to figure out if the UHD50X will satisfy my requirement. As someone that doesn't know much at all about projectors, aside from the fact that I want to use this 135 inch screen that I have. This will be ceiling mounted and once adjusted it will most likely stay that way. In that case, does active iris and motorized lenses matter to me? It will be stationary. Is motion interpolation important? Will I really notice the difference if I am not a videofile? Side by side, will I really notice the difference? Maybe this a matter of preference. It is hard for me to make a decision on this and will the benefits you mentioned be worth it in my scenario? Thank you for your quick response!
The UHD50X is a gaming projector firstly, the 5050UB is a home cinema projector.

Epson's features, like the iris and others offer a great image compared to the Optoma.

What is the color of the walls?

What is the percentage of games and movies/TV?

·
Registered
881 Posts
The active iris helps with contrast by adjusting how much light gets sent through the lens based on the content being displayed...darker scenes...the iris will close down improving contrast. Generally, lens shift, motorized lenses etc. are aids mostly used during the initial installation and usually won't be touched once everything is setup. Constant height/width/area setups being a possible exception.

Motion Interpolation(MI) helps with smoothing out motion(during panning scenes or sports). If set too aggressive, it can make the image look very unnatural. In my experience with dlp's, dlp's by nature usually do a good job with motion without having to use much, if any, MI so I don't think it's a "must have" feature in a dlp projector. LCD and LCOS pj's can benefit from MI when used sparingly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The UHD50X is a gaming projector firstly, the 5050UB is a home cinema projector.

Epson's features, like the iris and others offer a great image compared to the Optoma.

What is the color of the walls?

What is the percentage of games and movies/TV?
Walls are white painted sheetrock. Ceiling is about 10.5 feet from concrete floor. I would say it would say gaming and movies/tv would be about 50% each. I would prefer to have more light in the room than less light..if I would have events where people were over watching it for sports, events, stuff like that because people will be up and about getting drinks, going into the kitchen..etc. I have a 40x28 shop that I have turned into this "mancave" I wouldn't want it completely dark in the room unless I was watching a movie or playing some video games by myself. I would most likely be watching most things by myself but want the ability to have people over with more light in the room. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Walls are white painted sheetrock. Ceiling is about 10.5 feet from concrete floor. I would say it would say gaming and movies/tv would be about 50% each. I would prefer to have more light in the room than less light..if I would have events where people were over watching it for sports, events, stuff like that because people will be up and about getting drinks, going into the kitchen..etc. I have a 40x28 shop that I have turned into this "mancave" I wouldn't want it completely dark in the room unless I was watching a movie or playing some video games by myself. I would most likely be watching most things by myself but want the ability to have people over with more light in the room. Thank you!

Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I suggest you get a TV and move the seating closer.

Read this post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3127546-upgrade-1080p-tv-4k-projector-ultra-short-throw-short-throw.html#post59336596

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ambient light and projection are a bad and expensive combination. That room and setup is a poor setup for the 5050UB.

I really thought a little bit of light would be ok for a projector but I guess I was wrong. Luckily in my situation I can have both. I have two walls, both have been wired for a TV before I ever decided to do projection. The wall that has the projector screen mounted, those jacks will be covered up. My original idea was to have 1 projector for high end 4k and one projector for gaming...but that gaming was only going to be at 1080p...since low lag projectors and 4k didn't really mix until the 5050UB...and what appears to be this new UHD50X. They may be more out there, but I am unaware what the others are. So if the projection was bad...when I had people over and needed the lights on I could use the TV and when I was there by myself and watching a movie or gaming...I could use the projector. I am ok with that. They all go to a wiring closet about 25 - 30 feet away so my sources will be chosen from this room. I don't mind spending the money on the 5050UB if the difference for me will be that much noticeable. I want the biggest LCD I can get in the room if I were to go with a tv and see that LG makes a 86 inch now.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
In a room that large the effect of the white walls and ceilings will be less than in a smaller room. A simple way to darken the room would be to put curtain rods along the walls, and use inexpensive black curtains to cover the walls for movies, and then open them and tie them off for sports and games. If you have lighting in the room try to make it directional so that no direct light falls on the screen.

·
Registered
881 Posts

I really thought a little bit of light would be ok for a projector but I guess I was wrong. Luckily in my situation I can have both. I have two walls, both have been wired for a TV before I ever decided to do projection. The wall that has the projector screen mounted, those jacks will be covered up. My original idea was to have 1 projector for high end 4k and one projector for gaming...but that gaming was only going to be at 1080p...since low lag projectors and 4k didn't really mix until the 5050UB...and what appears to be this new UHD50X. They may be more out there, but I am unaware what the others are. So if the projection was bad...when I had people over and needed the lights on I could use the TV and when I was there by myself and watching a movie or gaming...I could use the projector. I am ok with that. They all go to a wiring closet about 25 - 30 feet away so my sources will be chosen from this room. I don't mind spending the money on the 5050UB if the difference for me will be that much noticeable. I want the biggest LCD I can get in the room if I were to go with a tv and see that LG makes a 86 inch now.
Here is a video on youtube that can give you a general idea of what various amounts of ambient light can do to a projected image. There are of course variables but it will give an idea of what happens to the image when projectors are used in a room with ambient light.

Edit: Comparisons start around 4:25 mark.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

Do you already have the 135" screen? What fabric/model?

Have you decided the seating distance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
In a room that large the effect of the white walls and ceilings will be less than in a smaller room. A simple way to darken the room would be to put curtain rods along the walls, and use inexpensive black curtains to cover the walls for movies, and then open them and tie them off for sports and games. If you have lighting in the room try to make it directional so that no direct light falls on the screen.
The walls are white, flat paint. I didn't want the shine so I didn't go with any gloss and the ceiling is this color https ://imgur . com/a / wjBeP2T (wood). Only one window and that is on the other side of the shop from where the projector will be located...so windows will not be an issue. I have a combination of recessed lights that can be dimmed and some 8 foot lcd strip lights (non dimmable) throughout the room. The recessed lights just weren't making it bright enough in the room when I wanted it bright so I added the LCD strips later. Both on different switches so I can get as much light as I want. There will not be any recessed lights in the the way of the projection screen. They would fall on the sides of the projection but not in the way of the image being sent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you already have the 135" screen? What fabric/model?

Have you decided the seating distance?
Elite Screens Sable Frame B2, 135-INCH Diag. 16:9, Active 3D 4K / 8K Ultra HD Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Projector Screen with Kit, SB135WH2 is what I have. I bought 2 of these back in
2016...only paid $139.99 for them....I don't know why amazon sold them that cheap but thats what I got them for. I hope they will be ok as I have never taken them out of the box. As far as seating distance I was just going to move the sofa/chairs to make it comfortable as I have an open room to work with.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The walls are white, flat paint. I didn't want the shine so I didn't go with any gloss and the ceiling is this color https ://imgur . com/a / wjBeP2T (wood). Only one window and that is on the other side of the shop from where the projector will be located...so windows will not be an issue. I have a combination of recessed lights that can be dimmed and some 8 foot lcd strip lights (non dimmable) throughout the room. The recessed lights just weren't making it bright enough in the room when I wanted it bright so I added the LCD strips later. Both on different switches so I can get as much light as I want. There will not be any recessed lights in the the way of the projection screen. They would fall on the sides of the projection but not in the way of the image being sent.

Here's my UHD50 being projected onto a 145in grey painted screen, with some daylight hitting the screen directly:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2947088-optoma-uhd50-50.html#post58340808

(in the posts prior and following this one there are more example of this projector's images with other content.)

I use a BenQ W1070 projecting onto a ~150in white painted wall, in a 12.6ft w x 22ft L by 9ft H (all white walls and ceiling) family room, in our vacation home. Yes there's a loss of contrast, but with the lights out (or with a single dim light at the back of the room), it is still vastly preferable to a TV, and all our guests have been impressed. A big screen makes for an enjoyable image, even with some loss of contrast.

I do intend to add black curtains to the walls of this room and darken the ceiling but even as is it is still quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Elite Screens Sable Frame B2, 135-INCH Diag. 16:9, Active 3D 4K / 8K Ultra HD Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Projector Screen with Kit, SB135WH2 is what I have. I bought 2 of these back in
2016...only paid for them....I don't know why amazon sold them that cheap but thats what I got them for. I hope they will be ok as I have never taken them out of the box. As far as seating distance I was just going to move the sofa/chairs to make it comfortable as I have an open room to work with.
No price discussion on this sub forum except for MSRP.

Although this is a bigger room, there will still be reflections, especially from the ceiling.
Example:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiondream/videos/1692721894385217/

Firstly any ambient light must not hit the screen directly.

Can the room be treated? The area around the screen, around 5' or so would be most beneficial.

If not an ALR screen would be beneficial here. Or you could use a paint mix on the elite screen, or the wall.

I would still go with the 5050UB even with a white screen and untreated room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's my UHD50 being projected onto a 145in grey painted screen, with some daylight hitting the screen directly:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2947088-optoma-uhd50-50.html#post58340808

(in the posts prior and following this one there are more example of this projector's images with other content.)

I use a BenQ W1070 projecting onto a ~150in white painted wall, in a 12.6ft w x 22ft L by 9ft H (all white walls and ceiling) family room, in our vacation home. Yes there's a loss of contrast, but with the lights out (or with a single dim light at the back of the room), it is still vastly preferable to a TV, and all our guests have been impressed. A big screen makes for an enjoyable image, even with some loss of contrast.

I do intend to add black curtains to the walls of this room and darken the ceiling but even as is it is still quite enjoyable.
HAL 9000 Approves!

Thank you for sharing these images. If it looks some washed out with light...I am ok with that and is to be expected somewhat from what I am reading. This shop has taken years of my life to get straight as I am doing all of these updates myself on the weekends and when I get the time. Still trying to decide if my setup will be better suited for the 5050UB or the UHD50x. I don't see anyone selling the UHD50x outright right now. BHPHOTO has it but shows coming soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No price discussion on this sub forum except for MSRP.

Although this is a bigger room, there will still be reflections, especially from the ceiling.
Example:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiondream/videos/1692721894385217/

Firstly any ambient light must not hit the screen directly.

Can the room be treated? The area around the screen, around 5' or so would be most beneficial.

If not an ALR screen would be beneficial here. Or you could use a paint mix on the elite screen, or the wall.

I would still go with the 5050UB even with a white screen and untreated room.
When you say treated do you mean can I paint the walls around the screen? Sure can I would just need to figure out what to buy if needed. I will say if you you look at the wall in this area where the screen will be, and with the lcd strip lights off...and just the recessed can lights...it is darker here than in the areas around it so that's probably a good thing...probably due to the placement of the recessed cans.

41 - 60 of 624 Posts