AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 681 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings, I bought the Optoma UHD30 Projector, otherwise I would like to change to the Optoma UHD50x Projector, do you think I will notice a difference in image quality? I do not use it to play, let me know your thinking, Thanks [email protected] write me your recommendation
As I understand it there should not be any visual difference between the two, including input lag. The difference is the setup process with vertical lens shift so the installation process will be easier with the 50X than the UHD30. This was my first projector so I chose the UHD50x due to my novice skills when installing. In retrospect I should have chosen the UHD30 instead of UHD50X since I also bought an expensive ceiling mount which made everything super easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man I don’t know what to do after reading most of this thread. I’m upgrading from a Benq w1070. I’ll be in a loft and will be attempting to control light as much as possible (black out curtains, dark walls/ceiling). I do a mix of movies and PC gaming. On paper, the UHD30 seemed to be exactly what I needed. My buddy just got the UHD50x and while I immediately noticed the increased sharpness, I wasn’t otherwise impressed with the picture quality.

I’ll most likely be gaming at 1080p 120Hz so I’m not all that concerned with the 4k input lag issues. I am concerned with the picture quality though. I don’t like the idea of the Epson 3800 since it’s not true 4k. Doesn’t seem like there’s a clear winner for my needs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man I don’t know what to do after reading most of this thread. I’m upgrading from a Benq w1070. I’ll be in a loft and will be attempting to control light as much as possible (black out curtains, dark walls/ceiling). I do a mix of movies and PC gaming. On paper, the UHD30 seemed to be exactly what I needed. My buddy just got the UHD50x and while I immediately noticed the increased sharpness, I wasn’t otherwise impressed with the picture quality.

I’ll most likely be gaming at 1080p 120Hz so I’m not all that concerned with the 4k input lag issues. I am concerned with the picture quality though. I don’t like the idea of the Epson 3800 since it’s not true 4k. Doesn’t seem like there’s a clear winner for my needs...
I am honestly quite happy with it. Currently playing last of us 2 and it is an amazing experience with 120 inch screen. Sometimes I have to reset I the picture mode when starting up to remove the split screen.
The downsides from my sides are that is quite loud even though in Eco and Enhanced game mode enabled it becomes a bit more Okey.
HDR is not that good even though I do not have that much experience in the past. Dark scenes becomes too dark and it can be hard to see what's happening since the blacks are crushed. Same with snow and white they do get a bit crushed.
For another 1000 dolleridus you do get the Epson which is supposed to have better picture quality even though you lose out on the 240 Hz and a bit higher input lag.
From my side the optoma works great and in another 5 years I will most likely upgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am honestly quite happy with it. Currently playing last of us 2 and it is an amazing experience with 120 inch screen. Sometimes I have to reset I the picture mode when starting up to remove the split screen.
The downsides from my sides are that is quite loud even though in Eco and Enhanced game mode enabled it becomes a bit more Okey.
HDR is not that good even though I do not have that much experience in the past. Dark scenes becomes too dark and it can be hard to see what's happening since the blacks are crushed. Same with snow and white they do get a bit crushed.
For another 1000 dolleridus you do get the Epson which is supposed to have better picture quality even though you lose out on the 240 Hz and a bit higher input lag.
From my side the optoma works great and in another 5 years I will most likely upgrade.
I appreciate the input. So if you could do it over again, would you still choose the Optoma or would you go a different route?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate the input. So if you could do it over again, would you still choose the Optoma or would you go a different route?
I'm honestly not sure, I have thought about it a lot. Every time there is a super dark scene I do think about it but during my time with last of us 2 for instance I have had zero complaints, looks great! The dark scenes also looks good on the PS4. I also hope there will a SW update to fix split screen pain in the assiness but I mean the workaround takes 5 seconds.
Since this was my first projector I wasn't sure how much I would use it so a 2500 dollar projector was a bit steep, 1500 seemed more reasonable. If I continue to use it as much as I do today I will as I said most likely upgrade to a native 4k in a couple of years.
I would have bought the UHD30 and not 50x though if I could go back in time though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Epson 5050? I’m planning on getting the 6050 after reading some of the issues with the optima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts

From everything I know about the Epson 4K technology (including that on the 3800 and 5050UB), they look every bit as good if not better than the DLP pixel shifting projectors. They just get there a bit differently. For one they have an incredible lense which helps alot and there is another technology it uses internally to help as well, though the name slips me. The 5050UB is a $3000 projector and uses the same 4K technology as the 3800, and most knowledgeable reviewers say the 5050 might as well be a high end projector right along side the really good laser projectors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm honestly not sure, I have thought about it a lot. Every time there is a super dark scene I do think about it but during my time with last of us 2 for instance I have had zero complaints, looks great! The dark scenes also looks good on the PS4. I also hope there will a SW update to fix split screen pain in the assiness but I mean the workaround takes 5 seconds.
Since this was my first projector I wasn't sure how much I would use it so a 2500 dollar projector was a bit steep, 1500 seemed more reasonable. If I continue to use it as much as I do today I will as I said most likely upgrade to a native 4k in a couple of years.
I would have bought the UHD30 and not 50x though if I could go back in time though.
Someone on Reddit posted that there’s a C06 firmware available for the UHD50x and UHD30 but I can’t find it anywhere. Anyone know what’s up?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm currently using a JVC X35. I'd love to jump to the JVC NX5 or NX7, but given their price, may not be feasible. Projector Central rates the UHD50x quite highly. Coming from the X35, will it overall be a step up? Yes, I realize it is 4K and HDR, but if I'm accustomed to the black levels and contrast on my JVC, will I simply find it disappointing?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #612
I'm currently using a JVC X35. I'd love to jump to the JVC NX5 or NX7, but given their price, may not be feasible. Projector Central rates the UHD50x quite highly. Coming from the X35, will it overall be a step up? Yes, I realize it is 4K and HDR, but if I'm accustomed to the black levels and contrast on my JVC, will I simply find it disappointing?

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
6 Posts
The UHD50x is my first projector and I paired it with an elite ciniwhite 1.1 gain screen. The TV I am used to is the Panasonic VT60 which is a plasma so perhaps no surprise but I was a bit let down by the black levels of the 50x. Black levels will be worse on any projector compared to a plasma but could I change anything I would go with a grey screen instead. Will probably make things a bit better but it's a guess from my side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why not epson 6050? Possibly something to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I read the whole thread and while I wanted to buy UHD30, now I am considering Epson HC3800. But: can it do [email protected]? All Epson manuals don't mention anything 120Hz... Is it possible via Custom Resolution in Nvidia Control Panel?

I use it for 80% gaming and 20% movies. I currently own a BenQ W1000 (10 years old) and want to upgrade, ideally one that can handle both [email protected] and 4K so I can choose what's more important to me depending on the game...
Which Epson is the best for gaming?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The UHD50x is my first projector and I paired it with an elite ciniwhite 1.1 gain screen. The TV I am used to is the Panasonic VT60 which is a plasma so perhaps no surprise but I was a bit let down by the black levels of the 50x. Black levels will be worse on any projector compared to a plasma but could I change anything I would go with a grey screen instead. Will probably make things a bit better but it's a guess from my side.
I currently have a firehawk screen paired with my JVC. I think it looks pretty dang good, but I’m itching for 4k and HDR as well. Maybe I’ll just have to save up for the JVC NX5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How well does this projector perform at 3D? Will it be a big upgrade from the Hd33? I’m considering this or jumping up to the P2. Doubt I’ll be gaming on it, I’m more interested in 4K movies and 3D.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
How well does this projector perform at 3D? Will it be a big upgrade from the Hd33? I’m considering this or jumping up to the P2. Doubt I’ll be gaming on it, I’m more interested in 4K movies and 3D.
Then why would you want to get this projector? It will probably be no different from the HD33. If you want an upgrade that will come in the form of a brighter unit.

601 - 620 of 681 Posts