AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was chatting with optoma pm dude almost daily to try and help with the hz39hdr smaller issues and he all but vanished about a month ago. Not a peep since. I hope it's nothing health related for him or someone in his family. Hopefully he's just working hard!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was chatting with optoma pm dude almost daily to try and help with the hz39hdr smaller issues and he all but vanished about a month ago. Not a peep since. I hope it's nothing health related for him or someone in his family. Hopefully he's just working hard!!
Ya. Same here but for me it’s been radio silence for 2+ months. I paid $50 to send in my UHD30 to fix split screen issues, get a replacement with latest firmware installed and same issue. Call to complain, they tell me I have to wait for a firmware update. No ETA. I spent almost $2K on this thing. Is it too much to ask for something that just works? So frustrating.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my Optoma UHD42 has the C06 Firmware installed, is this the latest one?
That's a weird system and mcu combo versions ._. Would be interesting to see what's the date of that firmware, and, if you have the split screen issue and edid settings.

Never saw C06 besides somebody asking about it here some time ago iirc. Can this be the European equivalent to the NA C05 update?

Here's mine updated with the firmware update released by optoma, everything is version 5 ...
IMG_20200627_143409_401~01.jpg

Anyway, with that C06 version, i'm guessing that when you have a 4k source and enable EG mode, that the picture continues to revert to 1080p output right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where can I see the date? When I look at the FW Version in the menu all I see is the MCU and FW Version as you can see in the Screenshot above your post. My projector was shipped brand new from Optomas EU warehouse.

Edit: @Elusivo thanks for helping me out. This is my current software version...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been testing all day with the settings and I was wondering which settings you guys use? These are mine for now but still testing:

Display Mode: Cinema
Dynamic Black: ON
Gamma: 2.2 (standard)
Ultra Detail: 2
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 0
Sharpness 10
Color temp: D65
Color gamut: native
Color space: auto

Resolution/Color output (nvidia on PC) is set to...
4k @60hz
RGB Full
Output Color Depth: 8bpc

When HDR is activated in Windows Display Settings my black levels do get too Dark, so I had to switch back to non-HDR mode

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello All!

I purchased the UHD50X a few months back as my first ever projector. I was throughly impressed with this unit on paper. Without getting into extensive detail, the actual implementation of said first ever projector with these features, it just wasn't good at all. The execution of heavy gaming centric features in this unit was just outright bad. It was very buggy even with basic use. I purchased the 18GB HDMI cable with only minor improvements. The picture banding was another frustrating issue.

I stayed with it for over 30 days tinkering and trying to get the picture to a place where it was enjoyable. Unfortunately I had to send it back. it just wasn't a fun unit to have around. I often found myself messing with settings during a movie for hours on end, hopping for something better. I finally gave up, as the remote buttons began to stick and not function correctly.

For the folks who managed to really enjoy this unit, bless you guys. Assuming you folks have infinite patience.

Upon sending it back, I really thought hard about what it is I want in a projector. Ultimately purchasing an Epson 4050. The Epson has significantly less features on paper. It's almost as if it's eons behind the UHD50X.

In reality and real world usage the Epson is far superior to the UHD50X. I am sure I will get a lot of angry customers after a comment like that. If anyone would like to hear the 4050 vs UHD50X story happy to share, otherwise I will leave it at that.

By no means am I trying to down anyones purchase. This is purely my personal experience. It's hard to convey tone over the web, just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello All!

I purchased the UHD50X a few months back as my first ever projector. I was throughly impressed with this unit on paper. Without getting into extensive detail, the actual implementation of said first ever projector with these features, it just wasn't good at all. The execution of heavy gaming centric features in this unit was just outright bad. It was very buggy even with basic use. I purchased the 18GB HDMI cable with only minor improvements. The picture banding was another frustrating issue.

I stayed with it for over 30 days tinkering and trying to get the picture to a place where it was enjoyable. Unfortunately I had to send it back. it just wasn't a fun unit to have around. I often found myself messing with settings during a movie for hours on end, hopping for something better. I finally gave up, as the remote buttons began to stick and not function correctly.

For the folks who managed to really enjoy this unit, bless you guys. Assuming you folks have infinite patience.

Upon sending it back, I really thought hard about what it is I want in a projector. Ultimately purchasing an Epson 4050. The Epson has significantly less features on paper. It's almost as if it's eons behind the UHD50X.

In reality and real world usage the Epson is far superior to the UHD50X. I am sure I will get a lot of angry customers after a comment like that. If anyone would like to hear the 4050 vs UHD50X story happy to share, otherwise I will leave it at that.

By no means am I trying to down anyones purchase. This is purely my personal experience. It's hard to convey tone over the web, just wanted to clarify.
I feel your feelings buddy
I bought the Epson 3800 and the 50x at the same time.
50x not a bad machine but it had flaws and Optoma was unwilling to address them.
Post some stuff on youtube if you still have both or did a comparison shot, it's really valuable to people.

I was really turned off because they pulled a marketing stunt on here and told a bunch of us we don't understand lag testing, how a PJ works, etc.
In reality, they lied about
1. contrast (native is like what... 800:1 though is acceptable with bulb dimming)
2. lumens (1500 useable, white strips on the wheel reduce color saturation to 50%)
3. gaming mode lag/rez (No 25ms 4k)

Make sure to take care of your PJ, they are hard to come by during covid.
Buy OEM factory Epson parts when you replace stuff too. Read up on here about knock-off lamps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read a lot about the UHD50x poor black level performance and that the Epson 3800 or even the 5040/4040 have significant better black levels. So I just watched this YouTube video where they compare an Epson 4040 / 5040 with an optoma uhd65 and to me they both look almost identical, so no significant change. Since the UHD50x has the new DLP chip by TI I assume the visual performance is the same as on the UHD65. What do you think?

And here is a comparison of the UHD60 and the UHD65 and yes the black levels look a bit better but overall I'm not sold on the Epsons black level hype. There are also many reviews that say that for example the Epson 7400's (not sure how it's called in the US) black levels are disappointing.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I read a lot about the UHD50x poor black level performance and that the Epson 3800 or even the 5040/4040 have significant better black levels. So I just watched this YouTube video where they compare an Epson 4040 / 5040 with an optoma uhd65 and to me they both look almost identical, so no significant change. Since the UHD50x has the new DLP chip by TI I assume the visual performance is the same as on the UHD65. What do you think?
I must have written a small novel about this on this very thread.
You can't really judge black level from that video.

The fact is 4K DLP native contrast is ~700:1. With dynamic lamp dimming it may reach 2000:1.
It matters how the dimming function is implemented.

HC3800 has ~1500:1 native and up to ~35 000:1 dynamic.
5000US series has ~4500:1 native and up to 37 000:1 dynamic.

There are many aspects of how to achieve better black level, settings, etc, but 4K DLP vs. the Epson models are well known. It's not hype it's facts, measurements.

·
Registered
40 Posts
but you can compare the two side by side in the video, right? And to me they look almost identical

·
Registered
175 Posts
but you can compare the two side by side in the video, right? And to me they look almost identical
It's not the same chip.
The 60 and 65 have the .66" DLP660TE and this projector uses the .47" DLP470TE variant which is 4x vs 2x firing pattern, so lower native rez.
Lower contrast too on the 470TE, which IMHO seems to be aperture since the .95" Darkchip was known well for good contrast.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I feel your feelings buddy
I bought the Epson 3800 and the 50x at the same time.
50x not a bad machine but it had flaws and Optoma was unwilling to address them.
Post some stuff on youtube if you still have both or did a comparison shot, it's really valuable to people.

I was really turned off because they pulled a marketing stunt on here and told a bunch of us we don't understand lag testing, how a PJ works, etc.
In reality, they lied about
1. contrast (native is like what... 800:1 though is acceptable with bulb dimming)
2. lumens (1500 useable, white strips on the wheel reduce color saturation to 50%)
3. gaming mode lag/rez (No 25ms 4k)

Make sure to take care of your PJ, they are hard to come by during covid.
Buy OEM factory Epson parts when you replace stuff too. Read up on here about knock-off lamps.
You are absolutely correct on all accounts. I got the 4050 specifically for that reason. It comes with an extra Epson bulb and the mounting bracket. The bracket they provide is excellent quality.

·
Registered
86 Posts

And here is a comparison of the UHD60 and the UHD65 and yes the black levels look a bit better but overall I'm not sold on the Epsons black level hype. There are also many reviews that say that for example the Epson 7400's (not sure how it's called in the US) black levels are disappointing.

Great comparison and video. For me personally, most of the Optoma products on paper look better then the actual performance. The 3LCD is now old technology but I feel it has been perfected due to it's age. There was a huge difference between my 4050 and UHD50X black levels. To be honest I can't say the UHD50X ever really got black on screen. It should be called grey level for the UHD50X. The Epson for me is just the consistent performer. And the home run for me is the lens shift, what and absolutely trick feature. Reading other reviews for the 50X, so many people had keystone issues. With keystone correction the whole image pretty much went down the drain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
for me the black levels on the UHD50x are not perfect, yeah but what I'm missing on the Epson is the 120hz. For me this is such a difference compared to 60hz so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of deeper black levels.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I already noted why you can't compare pictures this way in a previous post.
It's not the same chip.
The 60 and 65 have the .66" DLP660TE and this projector uses the .47" DLP470TE variant which is 4x vs 2x firing pattern, so lower native rez.
Lower contrast too on the 470TE, which IMHO seems to be aperture since the .95" Darkchip was known well for good contrast.

Did not find any measurements for the 60/65 but for another .67 model which should be the same.
And the 3800 measured by the same person.

Contraste-luminosité-couleurs-gamma-Epson-EH-TW7100.jpg
Contraste-et-luminosité-Acer-M550BD.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
for me the black levels on the UHD50x are not perfect, yeah but what I'm missing on the Epson is the 120hz. For me this is such a difference compared to 60hz so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of deeper black levels.
For sure, to each their own. Happy watching!

·
Registered
40 Posts
For sure, to each their own. Happy watching!
to be fair, is there any other 1080p/120hz projector with 4k capabilities that is relevant compared to the UHD50x - even in the higher price ranges? In addition, what would be necessary to achieve deeper black levels on the UHD50x? Currently I'm projecting to a white wall, no screen, nothing - would a grey screen help?

This looks pretty interesting...

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
to be fair, is there any other 1080p/120hz projector with 4k capabilities that is relevant compared to the UHD50x - even in the higher price ranges? In addition, what would be necessary to achieve deeper black levels on the UHD50x? Currently I'm projecting to a white wall, no screen, nothing - would a grey screen help?

This looks pretty interesting...
Benq HT3550 has better blacks and can do 1080p120Hz.
UHD51A unofficially supports 120/1080p and probably has better blacks than the UHD50x, but not the HT3550.

To improve blacks first treat the room

ALR screens can help with blacks in untreated rooms, but they require longer throw ratios to avoid visual artifacts like hotspots. You may or not be ok with these artifacts.

Grey screens do little to help with wall reflections, are often ~0.5 gain which will diminish the UHD50x not bright output. To get to the same brightness as a white 1.0 gain screen brightness must be increased by 50% (with a 0.5 gain). The resulting reflections between the room and the screen reduce washout, but not by much.

Best and really only option are paint mixes. Also the cheapest option.

Calibrate for better shadow detail, but they're not cheap.

681 - 700 of 906 Posts