AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1036 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just say that the game mode works with 4K, I could not test the input delay because of the missing input delay tester.

It could be, That if i Update the Software That the EG is Not anymore working with 4K.
99% sure you're misunderstanding what's going on with EG mode.

It's not that EG mode can't be enabled at 4K60, it's that the image projected on the wall will be downscaled to 1080p whenever EG mode is enabled.

If you go really close to you wall/screen and look at the size of individual pixels on the wall at 4K60, or icons in windows taskbar, don't you notice bigger pixels and lower resolution icons after you enable EG mode? If you do it means that your image on the wall is now 1080p instead of 4K even tho the source resolution in your pc is still at 4K.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note, i am putting up retractable black velvet curtains covering the walls and ceiling, and WOW, what a difference!! Only put 1.5 meters long curtain yet, but the contrast difference in the projection is already night and day, it makes the overall image look soooo much better!!!
Will put another 1.5 meters for a total of 3 meters, still need to get some dark carpet and darken the wall directly below the screen, eager to see results, a lot of work to put up the curtain, but it is 100% worth it and am much happier with the projector already xD

·
Registered
14 Posts
i understand this correctly and i can tell you that i see a huge difference between 1080p and 4K but on the Xbox and only in games.

I would like to invite you but you live too far away 🙂

·
Registered
46 Posts
99% sure you're misunderstanding what's going on with EG mode.

It's not that EG mode can't be enabled at 4K60, it's that the image projected on the wall will be downscaled to 1080p whenever EG mode is enabled.

If you go really close to you wall/screen and look at the size of individual pixels on the wall at 4K60, or icons in windows taskbar, don't you notice bigger pixels and lower resolution icons after you enable EG mode? If you do it means that your image on the wall is now 1080p instead of 4K even tho the source resolution in your pc is still at 4K.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note, i am putting up retractable black velvet curtains covering the walls and ceiling, and WOW, what a difference!! Only put 1.5 meters long curtain yet, but the contrast difference in the projection is already night and day, it makes the overall image look soooo much better!!!
Will put another 1.5 meters for a total of 3 meters, still need to get some dark carpet and darken the wall directly below the screen, eager to see results, a lot of work to put up the curtain, but it is 100% orth it and am much happier with the projector already xD
interesting, possible to post some pictures? Would love to see your setup

·
Registered
46 Posts
i understand this correctly and i can tell you that i see a huge difference between 1080p and 4K but on the Xbox and only in games.

I would like to invite you but you live too far away 🙂
What Firmware Version do you have?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The problem is, I read what was said here. Totally ignored it because youtube reviewer x or website x understated the problems and you know,
  • The World’s First 240Hz Cinema Gaming Projector!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dodged a bullet and I hope others think hard on purchasing this projector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This also happens to me. Somewhat annoying.

Also still having the split screen issue after the new firmware update. Have tried reaching out to OPTOMA_PM_DUDE and no word back. Been waiting for a resolution for 45 days now. I guess it’s time to reach out to support. I wish I could return this thing. Horrible experience for my first projector.
Update time...

So it’s now 7 months since I purchased the UHD30 from Amazon. Firmware has been updated and I’ve even RMA’d the unit (at my own shipping cost) only to receive a unit back with the exact same issue. I called support and they said there’s nothing they can do and I have to wait for another firmware update for which there is no ETA. I’ve had enough. Contacted Amazon and they said they would make an exception and allow me to return for a full refund.

So I’m looking for a nice bright, 4K, non-Optoma projector for gaming and sports. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
C04 - And yes- I also have the problem with the split screen! But that doesn't happen so much that it doesn't bother
For me, whenever you adjusted brilliant colour to anything other than maximum, it caused the split screen on startup all the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I’m looking for a nice bright, 4K, non-Optoma projector for gaming and sports. Any suggestions?
I think the only reasonable alternative is the 3800 when it comes to "4k" at 60hz and decent input lag. I currently have the C06 firmware and the only real issue I have with this unit is the downscaled 4k while in EG Mode and the black levels. I'm fine with the brightness as I do not use the HDR Mode at all as I feel like projectors do not provide "real" HDR anyway. HDR always kills brightness no matter what, so me personally, I prefer a punchy picture over detailed dark-scene areas. I read an article the other day (might find it if you want to take a look yourself) that HDR on projectors always kills about 20% of brightness, at least for DLP and LCD and that "HDR" is more of an marketing stunt and has nothing to do with real HDR like on OLED's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the only reasonable alternative is the 3800 when it comes to "4k" at 60hz and decent input lag. I currently have the C06 firmware and the only real issue I have with this unit is the downscaled 4k while in EG Mode and the black levels. I'm fine with the brightness as I do not use the HDR Mode at all as I feel like projectors do not provide "real" HDR anyway. HDR always kills brightness no matter what, so me personally, I prefer a punchy picture over detailed dark-scene areas. I read an article the other day (might find it if you want to take a look yourself) that HDR on projectors always kills about 20% of brightness, at least for DLP and LCD and that "HDR" is more of an marketing stunt and has nothing to do with real HDR like on OLED's.
This is awesome, thanks so much for the info. I didn’t even consider the Epson. I was looking at the BenQ TK800M. Although it’s been replaced by newer models, I can score it for a great price and the input lag looks to be acceptable for gaming (which unfortunately isn’t the case for the newer BenQ models). The BenQ is also $450 cheaper than the 3800. The Epson and BenQ are now on the short list. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
For what it's worth, I did a flat matte navy from Benjamin Moore. By no means is this the best way to do it, but results have been pretty good. The red and blue really looks nice in person. Whenever friends visit, they all mention the movie theater vibes. This setup was used with the UHD50X and the Epson.

View attachment 3050959
Brilliant room!

·
Registered
62 Posts
So you're confirming that 4K output remains even after you disable and reenable eg mode? I think it would made your case unique.
There's a bug that if you turn the projector off with eg mode on, when you turn the projector back on you will have real 4K output but the reality is that eg is off even tho it shows as being on in the menu, can be checked by disabling and reenabling eg mode, usually even the menu freezes, after reenabling image output will be at 1080p. Can you check that?

interesting, possible to post some pictures? Would love to see your setup
lol i dun really advise doing like i am doin, i have a very small living room, 2.75meter wide, and i want as much as possible of that width to be screen dedicated, so i doing a ******* style black curtain setup to be as close to walls n ceiling as possible. Am now stitching the two 1.5meter wide strip of velvet to make a single 3 meter long curtain and originally i thought of simple passing 2 steel cables along the corners of where the wall and ceiling meet and hang the velvet, that way can easily open and close the curtain as needed, but turns out the velvet's own weight creates a huge downward ballon from the ceiling casting shadow on the image, so i put 2 extra cables along the ceiling to give more suport to the 2.75m gap, not sure if i need more cables even ... anyway, need more parts to finish it but trips between cities here are locked down till tuesday and cannot travel to a shop that sells what i want, so need to wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you disable and reenable eg mode? I think it would made your case unique.
There's a bug that if you turn the projector off with eg mode on, when you turn the projector back on you will have real 4K output but the reality is that eg is off even tho it shows as being on in the menu, can be checked by disabling and reenabling eg mode, usually even the menu freezes, after reenabling image output will be at 1080p. Can you check that?
Good morning, when I turn off eg mode and turn it on again directly, I don't see any difference. The resolution remains the same. Also the input lag Feels the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good morning, when I turn off eg mode and turn it on again directly, I don't see any difference. The resolution remains the same. Also the input lag Feels the same.
this is weird. I have the C06 FW and I still do have the 4k EG problem. Would it be possible to make a short video and zoom in on some elements while the EG mode is on and off to compare both?

·
Registered
46 Posts
As discussed Here the video.
If I set the eg mode to off and then on again, I don't see any difference in 4K!

Danke für das Video!!

I went full CSI mode :ROFLMAO: ...

Enhanced Gaming ON (4k mode):

Enhanced Gaming OFF (4k mode):

As you can see the resolution is downscaled while still being in 4k mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me it looks more like the Picture optimization is switched off in eG mode.
Compare the 4K output with e.g. on with the 1080p output. If you are right, you should not see any difference

·
Registered
46 Posts
Compare the 4K output with e.g. on with the 1080p output. If you are right, you should not see any difference
good idea, will try :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
As discussed Here the video.
If I set the eg mode to off and then on again, I don't see any difference in 4K!
I cannot see your video because it says i don't have permission or something. From @klwn screenshots you did the video from too far away, but even so it is still looks like the image is downscale to 1080p.
lol are u sure u don't work for optoma? @OPTOMA PM DUDE did try to shrug it off and fool ppl into thinking that it was picture optimizations disabled in eg mode.

A 4K source downscaled to 1080p will show improvements over a pure 1080p because it will probly have less aliasing and such, kinda like nvidia's dsr tech.
When i play fast paced games like a.o.t.2, the difference in lag makes the an easily playable game in 1080p feel like i'm playing it in hard mode when at 4K with eg on.

If u go to around 20cm away from the screen (or take some pictures 5cm away from the screen) u should clearly see the individual pixels and loss of resolution with eg mode enabled because of the downscale, and not so easy to see those individual pixels with eg off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Danke Jungs für eure Tests! Damit die Allgemeinheit es auch versteht, schreibe ich mal auf englisch. (Thanks guys for your testing)

@klwn

You wrote in one of your posts that you have the C06 firmware installed. May I ask how you got this firmware? My UHD30 was delivered with firmware C04. Here or in the Reddit forum I received the tip, that you can download and install the C05 firmware from the US site. I did that successfully. The C05 firmware is still the latest on the site. I would like to install the C06 too, but I don't know where I can get it from.

721 - 740 of 1036 Posts