AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1030 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi good morning everyone. I watched and read reviews on the uhd50x and the hc3800 and I still can't decide which way to go. I mostly play games like warzone so input lag is a big deal for me. I will also be using it for movies mostly 4k so I would like a good picture color as well. It's really hard to choose everytime I make a decision I see another post and I'm starting all over again. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi good morning everyone. I watched and read reviews on the uhd50x and the hc3800 and I still can't decide which way to go. I mostly play games like warzone so input lag is a big deal for me. I will also be using it for movies mostly 4k so I would like a good picture color as well. It's really hard to choose everytime I make a decision I see another post and I'm starting all over again. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
For me this would be easy, IF the UHD50x is able to achieve 25ms in game mode I would 100% go for the Optoma. I'm very impressed by the 4k picture quality compared to the Epson. Yes the Epson has better black levels but overall I'm very happy with the UHD when it comes to brightness and contrast. Just make sure not to use HDR, as it will make the picture much darker overall. I think in general faux HDR used by projectors (wether it's Optoma, Epson...) has nothing to do with real HDR used by modern TVs. I also use the UHD50x during daytime in a bright room and it works great for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me this would be easy, IF the UHD50x is able to achieve 25ms in game mode I would 100% go for the Optoma. I'm very impressed by the 4k picture quality compared to the Epson. Yes the Epson has better black levels but overall I'm very happy with the UHD when it comes to brightness and contrast. Just make sure not to use HDR, as it will make the picture much darker overall. I think in general faux HDR used by projectors (wether it's Optoma, Epson...) has nothing to do with real HDR used by modern TVs. I also use the UHD50x during daytime in a bright room and it works great for me.
Thanks for the advice! Anyone else?

·
Registered
280 Posts
So what kind of input lag are you seeing with your UHD50x in game mode?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sharpness is the only benefit the UHD50x has over the Epson HC3800 right? Input lag for the Epson looks to be around 25ms and it sounds like color and contrast and black levels are better with the Epson.
From what I researched the input lag shouldn't be better. I think it may be the same. The color, contrast and black levels may be better according to user reviews

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try as soon as my ps5 arrives, testing it with my PC is a problem right now as everything is connected and set up in another room.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try as soon as my ps5 arrives, testing it with my PC is a problem right now as everythin
Sharpness is the only benefit the UHD50x has over the Epson HC3800 right? Input lag for the Epson looks to be around 25ms and it sounds like color and contrast and black levels are better with the Epson.
The sharpness alone is the single reason I went with the Optoma, the Epson looks so much worse compared to the Optoma.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will try as soon as my ps5 arrives, testing it with my PC is a problem right now as everythin
The sharpness alone is the single reason I went with the Optoma, the Epson looks so much worse compared to the Optoma.
What is your screen size and how close do you sit? Did you check to make sure there weren't any convergence issues with the 3800? Most reviews I have read say the sharpness difference isn't as drastic as you claim, so I wonder if there was something wrong with your setup or maybe you sit really close to the screen

·
Registered
19 Posts
kill_dano`s comments made it clear to me that I have to try it by myself. So I ordered the Optoma yesterday and should receive it by the end of the week. I do not own a Bodnar 4k testing tool but I have the perfect game to test it (at least for me): MLB The Show. I did the same with the W5700 I tried earlier this year:
Practice mode. Choose a 100 mph fastballer and try to hit it.
I compare that to my 1080 ST with 16ms input lag. With the Benq W5700 the difference was night and day. Nearly no ball was in play and I was always late, while with the 1080ST I had a good percentage and even was early on some occasions. So I had to return that on all other instances great beamer (I love the DLP contrast in 4k. It was definitely far above the Epson HC5050 I compared it to in one home cinema center)

I will do the same tests with the UHD50x this weekend. If I am not late at hitting those 100 mph fastballs, everything is ok. Who needs Bodnar? ;)

I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had some time today and hooked my PC up to the Optoma and tested the mentioned mode in 4K UHD. I can confirm that the Game Mode (with EGM turn OFF) indeed provides faster Input lag. I also compared it to EGM mode (which lowers the resolution). Here I made a comparison video...

First Test with Mode: Cinema / EGM: OFF
Second Test with Mode: Game / EGM: OFF
Third Test with EGM: ON

The second and third setup feels identical and first mode feels slower.

I'm currently on Firmware C06 (European Model UHD42)

Video:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all! Just received the UHD50X today from the Cyber Monday Amazon sale. I'm upgrading from a BenQ 2050 using Playstation 5 and Apple TV 4k as my sources.

This model in the on board menu shows System Firmware at C05, and MCU as M03.

Does this mean I don't need to do any updates to the firmware? Not sure how to check DDP and EDID status, besides seeing the system firmware is already C05.

Thank you! Hope to contribute as I get this set up, waiting for a higher bandwidth HDMI cable I ordered to arrive before I swap out projectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all! Just received the UHD50X today from the Cyber Monday Amazon sale. I'm upgrading from a BenQ 2050 using Playstation 5 and Apple TV 4k as my sources.

Does this mean I don't need to do any updates to the firmware? Not sure how to check DDP and EDID status, besides seeing the system firmware is already C05.

Thank you! Hope to contribute as I get this set up, waiting for a higher bandwidth HDMI cable I ordered to arrive before I swap out projectors.
Good question. I ordered mine yesterday so eagerly awaiting it. If you need a firmware update plz post the link to it here. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts

Im on C06 M03 not sure what the changes are between C05 and 06. But I assume they are almost identical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok. I just got my UHD50x and tried out MLB 20 practice mode with a 100 mph fastball hitter. The beamer passed the test magnificently while the W5700 failed in this aspect miserably in summer (I was ALWAYS late on these 100mph balls).
I honestly felt that my timing with the Optoma in 4k mode was even better than with my 1080ST (16ms at 1080p). Maybe the input lag of the PS5 controller is better than the PS4?

The W5700 ist supposed to be 55ms at [email protected] but some users here told me it is more around 80ms in game mode.

So suppose it is 80ms: I just can`t imagine that die Optoma UHD50x works at 50ms with [email protected] The difference between the W5700 and the 50X is just too big.

All in all, I am more than pleasantly surprised by the results.

Now I only have to test the picture quality and the cinema performance (4K HDR). But as I am not that big of a cineast ( I really liked my 1080 ST cinema performance) I can hardly imagine that it will fail this test (for me).

Best regards

Alex

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok. I just got my UHD50x and tried out MLB 20 practice mode with a 100 mph fastball hitter. The beamer passed the test magnificently while the W5700 failed in this aspect miserably in summer (I was ALWAYS late on these 100mph balls).
I honestly felt that my timing with the Optoma in 4k mode was even better than with my 1080ST (16ms at 1080p). Maybe the input lag of the PS5 controller is better than the PS4?

The W5700 ist supposed to be 55ms at [email protected] but some users here told me it is more around 80ms in game mode.

So suppose it is 80ms: I just can`t imagine that die Optoma UHD50x works at 50ms with [email protected] The difference between the W5700 and the 50X is just too big.

All in all, I am more than pleasantly surprised by the results.

Now I only have to test the picture quality and the cinema performance (4K HDR). But as I am not that big of a cineast ( I really liked my 1080 ST cinema performance) I can hardly imagine that it will fail this test (for me).

Best regards

Alex
so you expect the UHD50x's input lag is between 16-25ms? Thats what I thought too - its identical to the EGM input lag which is pretty low. Man, im so happy that I kept the UHD50x :D

PS5 here I come...

901 - 920 of 1030 Posts