AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1087 Posts

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Quick check... is this the latest f/w? System Firmware at C06, and MCU as M03.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone have some good ps5 or series x settings they want to share?
I bought the Burosch 4k Image library and tried to adjust the picture. Took me several hours and at the end I returned to the custom settings. I really like the reference mode in general for games and sports. I don´t switch the modes for every different source I use (as I forget to do so). So that one works fine for me. If I do switch I take Game mode for games and Movie mode for...you guessed right.

The custom settings are really ok.

Best regards

Alex

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gotcha, the Xbox came with a 6 foot hdmi 2.1 cable, I didn’t think that would work well but I’ll give that a shot and see how things go, will update with results, thanks!
Hey did you get through to try this? I am also having this problem but only when I use 2160rgb from the ps4 pro. I use a standard 3ft hdmi 2.0 cable to hdmi switch https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/
Then a 10m fiber active cable to the projector. The video cuts out at random times sometimes minutes sometimes seconds. I was wondering if I should get a short active cable. Also if I turn on hdr with rgb the projector doesn't find a source, if I turn off hdr with rgb it's cuts off periodically. If I run the fiber cable directly I can use rgb hdr on with no issues. I'm hoping I don't have to spend $50 on another cable

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Hey did you get through to try this? I am also having this problem but only when I use 2160rgb from the ps4 pro. I use a standard 3ft hdmi 2.0 cable to hdmi switch https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/
Then a 10m fiber active cable to the projector. The video cuts out at random times sometimes minutes sometimes seconds. I was wondering if I should get a short active cable. Also if I turn on hdr with rgb the projector doesn't find a source, if I turn off hdr with rgb it's cuts off periodically. If I run the fiber cable directly I can use rgb hdr on with no issues. I'm hoping I don't have to spend $50 on another cable
What does the projector info menu report as the incoming signal? Example = 10bit RGB HDR BT20202 4:2:0

You should send YUV (YCBCR) to the projector. You might try to reduce Chroma to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 I use the same switch with a 3ft cable to the switch and 10ft cable to the projector with no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What does the projector info menu report as the incoming signal? Example = 10bit RGB HDR BT20202 4:2:0

You should send YUV (YCBCR) to the projector. You might try to reduce Chroma to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 I use the same switch with a 3ft cable to the switch and 10ft cable to the projector with no issues.
I'll check when I get home. I can run YUV 12 bit 4:2:0 with hdr on or off with no issues. Problem arise when I switch to 8 bit( not sure how to get higher on ps4 pro) rgb hdr on or off. I'm kinda new to 4k so please How to reduce chroma? Or in my case step it up to 4:2:2. Thanks for the help. I'll post projector report later

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I'll check when I get home. I can run YUV 12 bit 4:2:0 with hdr on or off with no issues. Problem arise when I switch to 8 bit( not sure how to get higher on ps4 pro) rgb hdr on or off. I'm kinda new to 4k so please How to reduce chroma? Or in my case step it up to 4:2:2. Thanks for the help. I'll post projector report later
Chroma is controlled by the video source (the Ps4) abd I don't have any experience with a PS4P.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, does anyone know if any updates have cured the judder with 50hz (Virgin uk cable transmissions) and 24hz sources? I’ve a uhd42 (uk uhd50x) arriving tomorrow to replace my ht2550 due to its lower input lag, but only found out about the judder issue today. (Which is something my benq doesn’t suffer from since benq updated it and replaced the main board a while back)
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.
First time post. I have just signed up seeing as this thread has caused me to hold off buying the Optoma UHD42 (EU version of the 50x)

I have a Optoma HD20 currently. Served me well over the years, but back then it was all about screen size and nothing more.

Now of course, 4k is almost becoming standard and I have been holding off for years to wait for it to mature. Prices, Hz and of course input lag.

The trouble with a thread like this is when you type a question into google - it links to pages so far back that its hard to see if the query you typed has actually been answered. In addition to that, things change. Firmware and peoples late discovery of features etc.

I've spent a quite a few minutes going through the exchanges in this thread. (You guys know your stuff!!!)

So I wondered if you kind people could help me?

Few things first. I am using it for my PC. I am not really interesting in movies. I have a high end GFX Nvidia card with a HDMI 2.1 socket and windows 10.

1. ANSI Lumens. If you search around, some post "ANSI Lumens" (Amazon) some post "Lumens" (Optoma own site). Both are very different measurements.
I wonder - what is the true ANSI Lumens of this projector? Everyone says 3400 (for both measurements). I wonder if it really is ANSI Lumens.

2. Input lag. I've tried quite hard to find the answer to this one. I suppose I ought to keep the question as precise as I can. HDR seems to be a waste of time from what I can gather. Seems to mess with input lag and peoples settings both with windows and the unit itself. Plus -nobody seems to be blown away by it. So I am kicking that to one side and forgetting about it.
So. At 4k, 60Hz (with HDR off), does anybody have a reliable input lag reading as investigated several months ago? I wonder if things have changed today?

3. Just to separate this from number 2.
What settings do you need to have in windows and the projector to get 4K @ 60hz with the best input lag possible?

4. HDMI cable. I bought over 12 months ago a 6M cable. (KabelDirekt 6m HDMI Cable 4K / Cord compatible with (HDMI 2.0a/b) I needed it to be long. But was advised to keep it under 7M.
Will this cable be ok? it should be. But once I feed this inside the walls and ceiling - that's it! (I will test it of course, but thought why not ask)

5. Just to separate this from number 4. Seeing as I dont need HDMI 2.1 will this be ok running from the HDMI 2.1 socket on my GFX card?

6. I was hoping Native 4K projectors would be standard by now and I am sure one day it will. But my general finding is that people seem ok with this pixel shifting technology. It's always had me holding off - but prices for the native 4K projectors are still very much.... insulting... in price. There's expensive, then eye watering, then offensive pricing and then prices that take the p***. The UHD42 seems... fair. and in some ways too good to be true. It is looking like it is.
Generally speaking, is this projector worth it? Will I see a noticeable difference from my HD20?

A lot there I know.

But hopefully what I have asked will help others who are on the fence too.

Assuming of course anyone can actually help as I know these things can get really confusing!

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The switch cannot pass full 8 bit RGB @ 4k. I have the same one but using a PS5. Half a dozen emails back and forth with their customer service and we've come to the conclusion that it can't handle [email protected] 8 bit RGB. I have to reduce the HDMI transfer rate to get 4k without any artifacts. The PS4 Pro only allows you to switch 4k between 2160p - YUV420 or 2160p - RGB. There's no way to increase that to 4:2:2. You'll have to deal with 4:2:0 or ditch the switch and go full RGB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok. I own the UHD50x for more than a month. Actually, I am more pleased with it now than after the first days. Let´s be clear: It is far from perfect and with this price tag, of course you have to make some compromises. But honestly: As long as you don´t buy native 4k projectors for 5k and more everything is a compromise (and maybe even then).

Pros:
Sharp Image (strength of DLP-4k-pixelshifters)
good input lag (more on that later)

Cons:
HDR is meeh
contrast is average
picture quality for sports (especially soccer) is barely average due to a lack of FI.
takes forever to connect after changing sources
some picture modes are downright horrible.

Ok. Much more cons than pros. So why am I still happy with that thing?

I am a 70% gamer and only about 30% youtube/sports/film user

As a gamer I primarily expect a sharp 4k-ish picture with good response time from a 4k-beamer.

And the UHD50x just gives me that.

If I watch movies I also like a 4k-ish picture and for me it weighs more than perfect contrast.
Of course, I would love to have better HDR, but that is a sacrifice I have to make as I don`t know another projector which offers me the total package with good HDR.
Some would say it is the Epson 6050UB, but for its pricepoint I just don´t like the lack of sharpness. It just doesn`t look 4k to me, although the rest is really, really good.

What I really find odd is the response time. Awest 74 measured it with Bodnar and came up with response times at around 47ms in 4k-mode.
This seems really high and if I was sure about that before I bought it I would not have done so. I owned a Benq W1210ST (16ms) before and thought that everything above the 30ms-range would ruin the experience. I also tested a BenqW5700 in summer which was said to be 59ms in 4k and it just did not work out for me. The thing was so slow with my favourite game MLB20:The Show that I could not hit a fastball and just had to return the projector, although I simply loved the picture quality!

So, a W5700 with 59ms did not work for me and now a UHD50x with 47ms does?

Honestly, I don´t get it. Either the W5700 is so far above the marketed 59ms or the Optoma is faster than the 47ms. And I actually tend to believe the latter.
Ok, I know that all the arguments are on Awest74`s side as he measured the thing, but I just don´t feel any difference to the W1210ST with a game that is so prone to input lag. How can this be?
We are talking about approx. 2fps difference between the 16ms and 47ms, am I right? I should feel the difference. I always felt the difference when playing this game. I felt it with the projector I owned before the W1210ST and all the TV sets I played MLB on starting from 2008).
So this is really a mystery for me.

But I take it as it is: The UHD50x really has good response times with any mode (as measured by Awest74 I can hardly feel any difference between the modes)

So I can really recommend the UHD50x as a low cost 4k gaming device which will also please you enough when watching movies.

So I am happy for the moment but always on the watch for a better device (with FI, good HDR and better contrast)

Best regards,

Alex

Thanks for the detailed update! Good to know about the input lag. You said HDR was kinda meh, eh? Guess it looks like projectors won't be able to flex in that category it seems.

Also, can I ask a quick question about video modes? Does it save each one, allowing for custom modes? As in, can I have settings for watching a movie vs when playing a game and just switch between them and not have to tweak anything?

Thanks again

1021 - 1040 of 1087 Posts