AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
In mine (Optoma HD141x) I don't think there is this faint border. I will pay attention this evening ...
Tahnk you for your answer

I could be mistaken. Also, keep in mind you likely won’t see the faint border if you’re projecting on a screen with a black border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
almost looks like you video card settings are off, with overscan settings wrong, giving you a 5% border (or something like that). I had that issue when I originally hooked up my PC to my plasma.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-overscan-on-tv/
Nope video card setting right on. There is a light border. Only downside so far, not annoying, but it's there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Image quality for movies

Did any of you actually receive their new UHD50X? If so, any comment on picture quality when used to watch movies? Is this projector good enough for watching movies, or should it really be used mostly for gaming?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Did any of you actually receive their new UHD50X? If so, any comment on picture quality when used to watch movies? Is this projector good enough for watching movies, or should it really be used mostly for gaming?

Thanks!
This is a gaming projector. Movies are ok, but could be better on more suited units. It's a trade off. It's brighter, so made for some ambient light/living room. However no projector and screen can fight light pollution if the scenes in whatever is projected is dark. That's where the projector is not sending light, so the ambient light wins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received this projector a couple of days ago, I've been pretty happy with it outside of one problem. There seems to be discoloring on the top-left edge of the projected image. Might anyone have an idea on what is wrong? I can get it to disappear if I use keystone value of 3 or higher but that's not ideal. I reached out to Optoma support and am waiting on their email. Really hoping to avoid having to RMA and be without it for sometime.

Attaching pictures of a white background test image.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello again,

Finaly I don't if I must choose this Optoma UHD50X or the Optoma UHD52ALV...
I never play games. So it's only for movies.

The UHD50X is smaller, and it's good for me, and less expensive (1450€ for the UHD50X and 1790€ for the UHD52ALV).
But the UHD52ALV has the motion interpolation...

Can you help me to choose?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Hello again,

The UHD50X is smaller, and it's good for me, and less expensive (1450€ for the UHD50X and 1790€ for the UHD52ALV).

Neither of these projectors should be the first choice for movies. These are sports/gaming projectors for use with some ambient light.

It depends what is your setup:

Color of walls?

Room length?

Seating distance?

Ambient light?

The short of it is ambient light and even reflections from walls affect black level/contrast:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiondream/videos/1692721894385217/

Some people will come and say that it's ok to watch movies with ambient light, but IMO that's wrong. Any type of light pollution affects the image in a negative manner. The darker the scene and or the higher the ambient light the worse the picture quality will get.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I received this projector a couple of days ago, I've been pretty happy with it outside of one problem. There seems to be discoloring on the top-left edge of the projected image. Might anyone have an idea on what is wrong? I can get it to disappear if I use keystone value of 3 or higher but that's not ideal. I reached out to Optoma support and am waiting on their email. Really hoping to avoid having to RMA and be without it for sometime.

Attaching pictures of a white background test image.
Were you using keystone when you took the picture?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Hello again,

The UHD52ALV is very quiet because of it's case design, so that might be another advantage. Until someone actually does an instrumented test, it's really hard to know if they are major differences in IQ. My guess is that there isn't much difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Neither of these projectors should be the first choice for movies. These are sports/gaming projectors for use with some ambient light.

It depends what is your setup:

Color of walls?

Room length?

Seating distance?

Ambient light?

The short of it is ambient light and even reflections from walls affect black level/contrast:

Some people will come and say that it's ok to watch movies with ambient light, but IMO that's wrong. Any type of light pollution affects the image in a negative manner. The darker the scene and or the higher the ambient light the worse the picture quality will get.
I'm not really picky! Today I have an Optoma HD141X (bought for 500 €) which has given me satisfaction since 2014. But it is making more and more noise. So I would like to change it. I want 4k and 3d.
The projector is on the ceiling, 4.5 meters from the wall. The sofa is below. The wall is white.
I cannot take it too wide because it is between two windows.

Most of the time, we use it in the dark in eco mode. When I put a cartoon for the children during the day, without closing the curtains, I am in light mode (it's not foolish, but the children don't complain!)

My main priority is to make the least noise possible.

About the price: less than 2000 €.

The size of the UHD50X is fine. So far, I am satisfied with Optoma. I dealt with support and it went well. (But I have not known any other brand).

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I'm not really picky! Today I have an Optoma HD141X (bought for 500 €) which has given me satisfaction since 2014. But it is making more and more noise. So I would like to change it. I want 4k and 3d.
The projector is on the ceiling, 4.5 meters from the wall. The sofa is below. The wall is white.
I cannot take it too wide because it is between two windows.

Most of the time, we use it in the dark in eco mode. When I put a cartoon for the children during the day, without closing the curtains, I am in light mode (it's not foolish, but the children don't complain!)

My main priority is to make the least noise possible.

About the price: less than 2000 €.

The size of the UHD50X is fine. So far, I am satisfied with Optoma. I dealt with support and it went well. (But I have not known any other brand).
What is exact size of the screen and exact distance from lens to screen?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Nope, that's with keystone at 0. Increasing keystone value a couple of points makes it lesser and lesser until 3-4 at which point it seems fine. Just don't really like that
solution.

I would talk to Optoma or your dealer and ask for an exchange.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Then what projector would you recommend, in this price range, that is better and still has 3d/"4k"?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Then what projector would you recommend, in this price range, that is better and still has 3d/"4k"?
HDR content looks good on projectors that have high brightness, so that has to be borne in mind. When I 'reviewed' a Viewsonic PX-747-4K I really enjoyed the 'pop' that it's brightness delivered on my ~145in grey screen, especially with HDR content.

My typical advise is that for smaller (~100in), white screens, that an RGBRGB projector might be preferable (think HT3550/UHD50) but for larger screens, a high brightness 4K HDR projector can be very enjoyable, even if the colour is a little less accurate.

I don't think there's anyway to quantify this as it really falls down to viewer perception - but I do know that the larger the image, the greater the 'wow!' factor.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I'll take a look at the reviews on the HT3550, the Viewsonic doesn't support 3d.
I think the HT3550 is a really good projector, so the following is just an FYI.

The UHD51A has been discontinued but you might still get a new one at a good price. There's a firmware update for the UHD50 that makes it BD 3D compatible (I haven't tried it). Vivitek has just released their HK2200 which is similar to the UHD51A.

161 - 180 of 585 Posts