AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
User.. But actually I think I have found this issue. The Nvidia Shield 2019 streaming box. This thing really has been a let down. Some advantages like AI enhanced upscaling and easy voice search through YouTube but disadvantages like no auto frame rate change, no Atmos for Disney Plus and no HDR for YouTube. This last issue is also seemingly created by the Nvidia shield. It forces Rec2020 color space on SDR content.

I plugged in my trusty Roku Ultra and effect was minimized and PJ was using Rec709 color space in menus. And I thought I could live with watching movies at 60FPS -> 24FPS, but exact 24FPS is so much better can't go back!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi , im travelling to Orlando on february 4th and i want to purchase an Optoma uhd52alv, the Thing is that at amazon and Best Buy is sold out!. Only one left at a third party seller on amazon named “IPC-Store” at a price tag of 2.065!
I have a gift card ballance and i want to buy this particular projector. I will use it for 3d and 4k (now i have an Optoma hd27 for 3d). I also phoned Optoma and i was told that the projector is at backorder.
So my question is if you know a place at Orlando Where i can get the optoma at a local Store with the price of 1.799, or if there is any news if it will be back in stock soon. ? Do you know if ipc-store is reliable? And finally im considering the new benq tk850, if the optoma will not be available at the time of my travel. I will be staying till february 18. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Hi , im travelling to Orlando on february 4th and i want to purchase an Optoma uhd52alv, the Thing is that at amazon and Best Buy is sold out!. Only one left at a third party seller on amazon named “IPC-Store” at a price tag of 2.065!
I have a gift card ballance and i want to buy this particular projector. I will use it for 3d and 4k (now i have an Optoma hd27 for 3d). I also phoned Optoma and i was told that the projector is at backorder.
So my question is if you know a place at Orlando Where i can get the optoma at a local Store with the price of 1.799, or if there is any news if it will be back in stock soon. ? Do you know if ipc-store is reliable? And finally im considering the new benq tk850, if the optoma will not be available at the time of my travel. I will be staying till february 18. Thanks!
Your asking us if we know of a place that will have it in stock next month?
The confusing questions we get on this forum sometimes...

Just order if from B&H, and take it with you on your trip?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1506443-REG/optoma_technology_uhd52alv_voice_assistant_compatible_4k.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyIFvYsiKkAZl9Qr7z91fU6tCloZ8T0-tPMUYA2DH-AoQGfsvWU-_-YaAhCmEALw_wcB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for your answer, sorry if my question or english is confusing. I was asking if there any Store besides amazon where i can buy it using cash. Because if i cannot use my gift card balance from amazon, if i paid it using a credit card from my country (argentina) i will be charged with a tax of 30% of the price just for using a credit card from my country (i know its confusing) i think bh only has a local store at new York? Not at Orlando right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here’s my personal take on the UHD52alv. I used to have a UHD60 and was very happy with it until it died on me. I’ll be comparing the UHD52alv with the UHD60. My projector is mostly connected to my home entertainment PC in a light controlled living room.

Pros
  • It’s short throw and can produce a considerably larger image than the UHD60. In my setup that’s 163” vs. 145”.
  • The rainbow effect is barely noticeable if at all. It used to be way more obvious with the UHD60. It bothered me in the beginning but my brain adjusted with time.
  • I usually don’t like the look of frame interpolation but the projector does an impressive job.
Cons
  • This projector cannot produce yellow. I tried everything but the best I can get is ochre. This is driving me nuts. Every scene with a sunrise, sunflowers, all the things you know to be yellow, such as emojis or McLogotypes are ochre. The disproportionately brighter whites against all (other) colors also do not help.
  • The projector has a perceivably lower contrast than the UHD60. Colors look washed out in comparison. It’s not night and day. But it’s immediately noticeable.
  • Dynamic black produces a great image but is unusable as it makes the projector very loud. Too loud to enjoy movies unless they are directed by Michael Bay. Note that dynamic black was unusable on the UHD60 as well but for different reasons. The screen was flickering uncontrollably, especially with subtitles on or with scenes where lightning was changing.
  • Sharpness. Due to the higher native resolution of 2716x1528, the UHD60 produced a sharper image. The UHD52alv is still very sharp and you won’t notice the difference in movies (unless you use subtitles), but if you project a PC screen or games, you’ll see less crisp fonts.
  • Black levels. I don’t know if it’s just my memory but blacks appear brighter to me than on the UHD60. Dark scenes were not a strength of the UHD60 but seem to be worse on the UHD52alv.
  • HDR. Optoma tried to compensate for the projector’s modest color gamut by painfully oversaturating colors in the HDR mode. I wish there was a way to turn HDR off with native HDR content as tweaking the settings does not really help.
  • Bugs. Occasionally the screen turns completely black and requires 2, 3 seconds to turn on again. Recently a dark vertical patch appeared in the top middle of the screen and disappeared when I restarted the projector.
I don't care much about the Alexa integration, 3D capabilities, neither the light grey border around the screen, the lense spill on the ceiling (that no one mentioned) or limited RGB capabilities when connecting to a PC (that also no one mentioned). These aren’t really pros or cons to me.

Is there anyone else experiencing any of the mentioned issues, especially the lack of yellow?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Here’s my personal take on the UHD52alv. I used to have a UHD60 and was very happy with it until it died on me. I’ll be comparing the UHD52alv with the UHD60. My projector is mostly connected to my home entertainment PC in a light controlled living room.

Pros
  • It’s short throw and can produce a considerably larger image than the UHD60. In my setup that’s 163” vs. 145”.
  • The rainbow effect is barely noticeable if at all. It used to be way more obvious with the UHD60. It bothered me in the beginning but my brain adjusted with time.
  • I usually don’t like the look of frame interpolation but the projector does an impressive job.
Cons
  • This projector cannot produce yellow. I tried everything but the best I can get is ochre. This is driving me nuts. Every scene with a sunrise, sunflowers, all the things you know to be yellow, such as emojis or McLogotypes are ochre. The disproportionately brighter whites against all (other) colors also do not help.
  • The projector has a perceivably lower contrast than the UHD60. Colors look washed out in comparison. It’s not night and day. But it’s immediately noticeable.
  • Dynamic black produces a great image but is unusable as it makes the projector very loud. Too loud to enjoy movies unless they are directed by Michael Bay. Note that dynamic black was unusable on the UHD60 as well but for different reasons. The screen was flickering uncontrollably, especially with subtitles on or with scenes where lightning was changing.
  • Sharpness. Due to the higher native resolution of 2716x1528, the UHD60 produced a sharper image. The UHD52alv is still very sharp and you won’t notice the difference in movies (unless you use subtitles), but if you project a PC screen or games, you’ll see less crisp fonts.
  • Black levels. I don’t know if it’s just my memory but blacks appear brighter to me than on the UHD60. Dark scenes were not a strength of the UHD60 but seem to be worse on the UHD52alv.
  • HDR. Optoma tried to compensate for the projector’s modest color gamut by painfully oversaturating colors in the HDR mode. I wish there was a way to turn HDR off with native HDR content as tweaking the settings does not really help.
  • Bugs. Occasionally the screen turns completely black and requires 2, 3 seconds to turn on again. Recently a dark vertical patch appeared in the top middle of the screen and disappeared when I restarted the projector.
I don't care much about the Alexa integration, 3D capabilities, neither the light grey border around the screen, the lense spill on the ceiling (that no one mentioned) or limited RGB capabilities when connecting to a PC (that also no one mentioned). These aren’t really pros or cons to me.

Is there anyone else experiencing any of the mentioned issues, especially the lack of yellow?
How does yellow look in Reference Mode?

I am very surprised that Dynamic Black increases noise levels so much. On the UHD50, which shares the same lamp and case, it barely makes a difference, and the low noise levels are noted in various reviews of the UHD51A/51ALV which also share the same lamp. I wonder if you have the fan set to high altitude mode?

Page 24 of your manual shows how to turn off HDR.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
@Little Twinsen: I thought the light grey border around the screen edge was taken care of with the new chip in this projector...hmmm. I have the 51ALV and yellow looks fine to me. Yellow is produced by 100% Red - 100% Green - 0% Blue or thereabouts in RGB. Does the overall image have a very warm look-too much red? How do the greens look--oversaturated? Ochre is probably too much Green. Try the Hue adjustment, or go into the color adjustments and first try Color Temperature, then Color Gamut, then tweak the colors, and try tweaking the Green saturation. If whites are too white, then try Cinema Mode, that will be the most natural lighting. For contrast turn up the contrast to 50 (yup, doesn't sound intuitive, but try it) and tweak the brightness negative. Also try Video Gamma for best detail in the shadows. If you have color up too high, you will get a lot of red in your images. Also tweak Brilliant color--having it on full blast can be an issue as well. It took me several months to get a good image that I liked. HDR--I never liked it--always blew out some colors. Try tweaking the Dynamic Range as well. Hey, tweaking is half the fun--do all your tweaking in USER mode and write it down or 3D--worked best for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, colors are really, really bad

Pros
Cons

I had the same issues. I am coming from a UHD51A (RGBRGB color wheel) I saw on the forums that the color accuracy was less than, but it's totally unacceptable IMO. Yellow just cannot be reproduced properly and some blue/cyan hues too. I tried everything to match my iPhone XS Max (OLED P3 color) but the projector can't do it. I work on an LG UltraFine 5K with 100% DCI-P3 coverage and you get used to what colors are supposed to look like, and this projector is way off. I'm going back to my UHD51A where colors are spot on although that projector is really loud.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I agree, same here. I'm using a UHD51A and have found the image to be a pretty good approximation of the 4K HDR image I'm personally looking for at 135" and at a sub $1500 price point. Compared to my LG & TCL 4K LED-LCD TVs and even my iPhone XS Max the projector can't hold a candle to them but when I'm just on the projector and watching movies it's fine. The loudness hasn't been much of an issue for me except in the winter when the central air heat causes the fan to go into overtime to keep the projector cool.

I had the same issues. I am coming from a UHD51A (RGBRGB color wheel) I saw on the forums that the color accuracy was less than, but it's totally unacceptable IMO. Yellow just cannot be reproduced properly and some blue/cyan hues too. I tried everything to match my iPhone XS Max (OLED P3 color) but the projector can't do it. I work on an LG UltraFine 5K with 100% DCI-P3 coverage and you get used to what colors are supposed to look like, and this projector is way off. I'm going back to my UHD51A where colors are spot on although that projector is really loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input and tips. I'll make sure to check them out. But I'm seriously considering to return the UHD52alv and go for a UHZ65. It's approx. 1300€ / 1500$ more expensive (which is a lot, almost twice the price), produces a smaller image and has a noticeable rainbow effect but should hopefully have way better colors. Unfortunately it's out of stock everywhere nearby, so there's no way of seeing one before buying.

@Little Twinsen: I thought the light grey border around the screen edge was taken care of with the new chip in this projector...hmmm.
In comparison to the UHD60 the grey border surrounding the image is larger and equal on all sides. At 163” I'd guess it's around 2" (didn't actually measure). It does not bother me that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the input and tips. I'll make sure to check them out. But I'm seriously considering to return the UHD52alv and go for a UHZ65. It's approx. 1300€ / 1500$ more expensive (which is a lot, almost twice the price), produces a smaller image and has a noticeable rainbow effect but should hopefully have way better colors. Unfortunately it's out of stock everywhere nearby, so there's no way of seeing one before buying.

In comparison to the UHD60 the grey border surrounding the image is larger and equal on all sides. At 163” I'd guess it's around 2" (didn't actually measure). It does not bother me that much.
Idk about that laser projector. From what I've read and watched on the tubes (YouTubes that is), although laser UST is convenient (and cool!), the image quality is lesser than a mounted projector (especially black levels) If you are going to spend that $$$ I would look at the Epson Home Cinema 5050UB. It's huge, but from all the reviews I've seen it's quite the projector. Projector throw distance is longer so watch for that.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
My Southern facing room gets more light than that with the curtains closed; especially now in the Winter with the sun low. My UHD51A looks OK enough. It's not totally unwatchable but far from ideal. I'm sure the UHD52ALV would fair even better with the same light. Neither would survive if I actually opened the curtains and blinds to sun low in the Southern sky.

I like what this guy is going for as far as screen size. 135" is max for me with speakers but I'd take an entire wall if I could in a heart beat. I'll never understand super custom home theaters with "tiny" screens. In the dark watching movies, I can only see the picture and I want it big as possible. Of course I now have a light border too. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, does anyone knows if the site adorama is reliable? because its selling the projector through amazon, i want to use my gift card balance. (Also doesnt charge my any tax). Still at amazon.com is with no stock!
thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi, does anyone knows if the site adorama is reliable? because its selling the projector through amazon, i want to use my gift card balance. (Also doesnt charge my any tax). Still at amazon.com is with no stock!

thanks
Yes. Adorama is reliable in my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
YO!

I have the optoma uhd380x which seems to be uhd52alv withouth the girlfriend. This is my first PJ so Im new to this scene.

Mixed feelings so far.

Im throwing the image (120") to light gray wall.
PJ is at its best when the lights are on. No trouble to seeing the picture. Very bright and amazing quality. Nooice!

Problems starts when u kill the lights. Black levels are terrible. When u watch a letterbox movie the black bars are gray. Tried to tweak the settings, managed to get it little bit darker but still gray gray shiii.

Didnt notice any lag with my original PS4, played RE2 and Uncharted 4. HDR gaming looks terrible. Colors are off somehow, dyed with layers of colors.
Also there are this light gray border around the image.

My conclusion is more the lumens more the black levels suffer. Thats why im thinking to switch BenQ ht 2700 (3550).

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
YO!

I have the optoma uhd380x which seems to be uhd52alv withouth the girlfriend. This is my first PJ so Im new to this scene.

Mixed feelings so far.

Im throwing the image (120") to light gray wall.
PJ is at its best when the lights are on. No trouble to seeing the picture. Very bright and amazing quality. Nooice!

Problems starts when u kill the lights. Black levels are terrible. When u watch a letterbox movie the black bars are gray. Tried to tweak the settings, managed to get it little bit darker but still gray gray shiii.

Didnt notice any lag with my original PS4, played RE2 and Uncharted 4. HDR gaming looks terrible. Colors are off somehow, dyed with layers of colors.
Also there are this light gray border around the image.

My conclusion is more the lumens more the black levels suffer. Thats why im thinking to switch BenQ ht 2700 (3550).
If you only have a 120in screen the HT3550 might be better.

Are you using Dynamic Black? Also, if you increase the image size you will reduce the black levels. The UHD52ALV would probably look at lot better at 150in. When watching SDR content try using Reference Mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi! At first I used the dynamic black but U couldnt change the display settings as much as U wanted so I turned DB off. After I turned dynamic black off I managed to get the picture much dimmer than dynamic black on.

One possibility is that I dont know how to calibrate the PJ :D

I love the picture quality of optoma but the hdr and the black levels are pushing me towards BenQ.

PJ is in the livingroom and there is some daylight obviously. Dunno can the BenQ handle it?

141 - 160 of 315 Posts