AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was interesting to review [the quality] some of the Movie houses here in SF CA; we haven't been in a Movie theater in a few years. I was looking to see where Harry Potter was playing and which would be the best theater to view the movie in. After reading many reviewers commits about what they thought about the physical appearance of certain movie house [seating /screen size/sound/cleanliness/etc] it seemed a great many reviewers were not that impressed with quality of many of Movie theaters themselves, Poor seat- maintenance, unfriendly staff, parking, [grouped together prices and food cost where third on their peeve list], cell phones where brought up occasionally. We are getting some good movies out of BaloneyWood these days. However, tickets sales are down not so much as the economy, but the attractiveness of the theaters, or the lack there of.Or that the Movie Experience is not worth the experience

db

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I consider myself lucky because here in Martinez we have a state of the art digital theater with 8 digital screens. It doesn't come without it's warts though as occasionally the computer doesn't for some reason start the film in time so you have to go to the lobby and tell them which because if there is a large audience I'm reluctant to do since I usually get their early enough to get my favorite seat which would probably get taken by an latecomer if I went out to the lobby. And that time I tried the theater number on my cell phone but got the recording as the time before someone actually picked up the phone.

Unbelievably I've watched audience just sit there 10 minutes after the film was supposed to start. This happened with the DaVinci Code and when I returned from the lobby and said something about I just got a bunch fish eye looks from the audience. I wonder if they would have just sat there for the whole two hours?

Another auditorium for about a year had a blown center speaker that finally got replaced. And I am always noticing the tops of the speakers have quite a layer of dust on them (shouldn't be hard to have someone go through once a month with a long pole duster to clean them off).

BTW, what is good coming out of BaloneyWood these days? I enjoy some of their comedies and some of the thrillers but it seemed the last few year the films were pretty bad. At least with a DVD you could skip the dancing around trees segments bring the movie down to a slick 90 or 100 minutes.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I still enjoy going to the theater, but we go very seldom. Even if the presentation is much better at home, I do like to hit the theater every now and then for the old nostalgic movie experience. We only have one "good" theater room in the two local theaters here, but it looks and sounds quite nice.

What I've been to lately:

Toy Story 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Inception

Big gap between Avatar and whatever I saw before it.

EDIT: Forgot about the IMAX re-release of Star Trek I caught while on Vacation.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
I bought the front projector. I love my home theater but also love going to the movies.

I'm in a good movie city for theaters, luckily.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
It was interesting to review [the quality] some of the Movie houses here in SF CA; we haven't been in a Movie theater in a few years. I was looking to see where Harry Potter was playing and which would be the best theater to view the movie in. After reading many reviewers commits about what they thought about the physical appearance of certain movie house [seating /screen size/sound/cleanliness/etc] it seemed a great many reviewers were not that impressed with quality of many of Movie theaters themselves, Poor seat- maintenance, unfriendly staff, parking, [grouped together prices and food cost where third on their peeve list], cell phones where brought up occasionally. We are getting some good movies out of BaloneyWood these days. However, tickets sales are down not so much as the economy, but the attractiveness of the theaters, or the lack there of.Or that the Movie Experience is not worth the experience

db
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart
Have you tried watching a Hollywood movie at your local IMAX theater? You have one - a real IMAX (15/70) theater in SF:

http://www.fandango.com/amcloewsmetr...em/theaterpage
I try to find the best A/V quality theater in any area I am visiting, and stick to that theater for all my viewings, even if it means I have to drive an hour. For me, no home theater (that I could HOPE to afford, at least) matches the brilliance of A/V presentation of a properly acoustically setup and equipped movie theater. A home theater will suffice for repeat viewings, but I'd rather view big movies on the big screen first to get the best sensory experience.

I saw Harry Potter 7 yesterday at the AMC Loews Metreon IMAX which was a mixed bag experience. The Meteron IMAX is one of the more comfortable IMAX screens I've been to, and is well maintained. But, the video quality was surprisingly underwhelming for an IMAX, and mirrors my experience with another IMAX-classic theater for Avatar. Both movies have been DMR'ed for IMAX screens, but the theaters (Metereon in SF for HP7, and Jordan's IMAX in Natick, MA for Avatar) were classic IMAX, and the video was a gut-wrenchingly low contrast mess, and would most likely be worlds better viewed on a digital IMAX or even a good digital projection theater.

To date, my high water mark for the IMAX screens remains the Rave 18 IMAX (formerly The Bridge IMAX) in Los Angeles, which is a classic IMAX, but had such a superior presentation that it blows away the rest of the classic IMAXes I've seen so far. It's a very decent movie experience as well, as you could reserve the exact seat in the auditorium for the IMAX. Closely following that would be the AMC Aventura IMAX, which is a digital-IMAX, but the A/V quality is absolutely fantastic. Avatar and Start Trek were absolutely spectacular in IMAX in this theater, and there is no way any home theater that would cost less than a luxury car would even come remotely close to the sensory experience of these latest movie theaters.

Bottomline, for me, if I can find a properly setup theater, I'd rather have my movie-watching experience be a 'movie-going experience.'

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/19528648

Bottomline, for me, if I can find a properly setup theater, I'd rather have my movie-watching experience be a 'movie-going experience.'

I enjoy the 'movie-going' experience too. The problem I have, since getting into FP, is that no theatre matches what I have at home now.

The screen is too dim, and many times out of focus, and most films end up looking like DVD quality to my eyes. I enjoy the shared experience of event films, etc., or else I would never go again.

I have a dedicated totally black theatre room, with a 9' screen, but it was modest in price compared to many on these forums. It is amazing what one can have at home now, even on a budget.

Art

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack /forum/post/19528406

Anyone here ever been to an Alamo Drafthouse? I've heard the original is the best place to see a movie in the US.

Yep. I live in Austin and if it weren't for Almao Drafthouse, we wouldn't even bother with going to the theatre. The original one has closed down but, honestly, any of them you go to are a whole lot better than a "regular" theatre.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19526310

Have you tried watching a Hollywood movie at your local IMAX theater? You have one - a real IMAX (15/70) theater in SF:

http://www.fandango.com/amcloewsmetr...em/theaterpage

Not sure if that was meant for me, but that theater is about an hour + drive, and one of the busiest part of SF as well. My works takes me to SF at least twice a week, and I try to avoid it in my free time if I can. But even if it was in a different town but just as far, I simply couldn't justify that kind of distance to see a movie. Back in the 90's I lived close to the Irvine Edwards 21 theater complex in SoCal, and I saw at least 2-3 movies there a month. It was a great complex. It also had an Imax screen.Nothing like that around me now at least not to my knowledge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts