AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through some of the previous posts and noticed that there were more than a handful of people who live near me in Fullerton, but this really applies to any and all of us in OC that live in hilly areas.

I live in Fullerton and in a hilly, tree laden area that borders Hiltscher Park. I have a fair amount of tall trees in my area, most ly tall Chinese Elm to the south (25 - 30 ft tall) and Eucalyptus to the north / Mt. Wilson facing area. The Eucalyptus are below me, they provide minimal blockage facing north.

I have Dish Network with an 8VSB cartridge to enable OTA HD signal reception. Just as a test I went and got a 39 dollar RCA antenna from Circuit City yesterday to see what it'd pick up. All I was able to pick up were like 4 HD versions of KTLA-5, KMEX-HD and KTTV-HD. Just about what I was expecting.

I know I'm going to have to go with a larger antenna to get good HD reception. But what kind of antenna to get? I was figuring on something like the 160" Long Dual Boom, 57 Element Antenna from Radio Shack as an example. However, the wife would like to avoid putting an antenna up on the roof. I'd like to know if it will really harm me to put such an antenna in the attic? The other part of this equation is that we have a steel tile roof. So I don't know what that's going to do so far as signal reception is concerned.

I'm very well versed with all things Dish Network... but very unfamiliar with UHF antennas and the like. I've done some reading around here, but managed to make myself more confused than anything. So this is a situation where I'd like to call upon the experience of those around me in similar situations to see what you've done that has worked for you and what you've used.

As always, I thank you all for your help.

EvilEuro

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seeing as I can't post url's yet, there is a thread in this forum called "LA Area HDTV/Antenna Help" that will be of good help to you as well as me. Appears the Zenith Silver Sensor will work nicely. Now if only I had a GPS. :) And now a trip to Fry's is in order.

EvilEuro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.