Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how to watch the NFL playoffs on my laptop while I'm traveling for work next month, and Orb looks like a good solution.

Problem: I need to buy a tuner card for my home desktop, and I would greatly prefer to buy an HDTV for my new 2405fpw :)

But, I can't quite figure out how well/if Orb works w/ HDTV. Here is what it says on the Orb website about ATI HDTV Wonder support:

"(*) NOTE: On the ATI HDTV Wonder, only the digital tuner works in Orb; the analog tuner does not have a MPEG-2 hardware encoder and, therefore, is not compatible with Orb (regular TV channels cannot be streamed or recorded in Orb). "

So, does this mean if my ATI HDTV card can pick up the game in HDTV in Boston, then I will be able to watch the game via Orb on my laptop? And if it's not in HDTV, then I won't be able to?

Secondary question: does anyone have experience w/ HD and Orb? Does it work well, or should I just buy a regular SD tuner card for my PC?

TYIA!

PS: full list of supported tuners below. if not the ATI, can anyone suggest an alternative?

http://www.orb.com/?page=support/sys...rements&view=1

·
Registered
444 Posts
Orb works by encoding the feed into a low-bitrate WMV stream. It scales the bitrate to whatever your internet connections UPLOAD speed can handle. Getting an HDTV Tuner specifically for this use will be a waste, because its just going to get converted to a 300k WMV file anyway.

"So, does this mean if my ATI HDTV card can pick up the game in HDTV in Boston, then I will be able to watch the game via Orb on my laptop? And if it's not in HDTV, then I won't be able to?"

Yes.

Any tuner with Hardware MPEG-2 encoding should work. I like the PVR-250's myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy
HDTV stream does not work well on Orb. Shouldn't even bother with it.
meaning, the quality will be worse than SD? or equal?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Unless there is static on the SD signal, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to tell a difference between 2 WMV 300k bitrate files, one coming from a HD signal, and the other coming from a SD signal.

Edit: When he says it doesn't work well, hes probably talking about errors in the encoding, not low quality. I'd stick to a normal tuner for use with ORB.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83
Unless there is static on the SD signal, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to tell a difference between 2 WMV 300k bitrate files, one coming from a HD signal, and the other coming from a SD signal.

Edit: When he says it doesn't work well, hes probably talking about errors in the encoding, not low quality. I'd stick to a normal tuner for use with ORB.

ty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.