·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes its about time!

I will download and try out tonight!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I was able to stream a "30 minute meal" mpg from my NAS box to the PS3 but it was converted to a tiny flash video, the picture that was there was decent but there was an audio distortion and of course it was not full resolution or screen size. Kinda cool idea. Might work for now for MP3's if you don't want to move them via external hard disk. I am holding out hope for a media streamer that runs from the xmb interface that lets you map drives etc etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well it sucks on my ps3

I have it hooked up to my Sony Bravia 40V2500

the video was 4"x4" on the top left corner of the browser

Looks like a tiny flash video like youtube

The source video was an 720P anime video

Could barely make out anything at all but on the plus side it did have sound!

forgot to mention it works kinda like Red Kawa Media Center X but i'm not sure if red kawa supported videos too

But the Orb program was alot easier to setup than red kawa

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Why can't someone make a "Game" that runs right in the normal GameOS environment and have it be a universal media player (xvid, etc) as well as a file and network manager. Being an official game it would have access to all of the resources that the XMB does, and could even inlcude BD playback. Would Sony just not permit that to be built and released?

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar /forum/post/0

Why can't someone make a "Game" that runs right in the normal GameOS environment and have it be a universal media player (xvid, etc) as well as a file and network manager. Being an official game it would have access to all of the resources that the XMB does, and could even inlcude BD playback. Would Sony just not permit that to be built and released?

yes, someone could make an official media player for PS3, and sell it at retail.

But why would you do that when Sony will add that functionality for free :).

I doubt many software companies would have the resources to create software BD player for PS3, as it required long, long, long time for Sony as well, and they changed the teams in the middle of the process, and new team rewrote the code at least once to get it to perform :).

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqu /forum/post/0

the video was 4"x4" on the top left corner of the browser

Looks like a tiny flash video like youtube

The source video was an 720P anime video

Press the R3 button when viewing the small video in the corner. It will enlarge it and fill your screen. (not the best quality, but not much better you can get with streaming Flash...)

...hopefully Sony will allow more video codecs in the future for better video options-

Orb is great-

have been using it for >1 yr on my Treo. Especially because the service is FREE.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar /forum/post/0

If there are no safeguards that prevent this game from accessing any files on the hard drive then yes this would work..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Good point Supermans. Games might be limited to their install footprint, as well as the reserved system area...

Just a thought anyways. The PS3 is supposed to be a 'computer' and I can buy plenty of PC-based media players.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.