AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have some bad news to report. I bought an Orb Mod 2 system recently. I was running the speakers from a HK 435 AVR receiver. For a while I tried to like it. I told myself over and over that it sounded good.

I ended up replacing the system with a Bose 321 and honestly, I couldn't be happier. Now, before you throw me into the "moron" category, please understand that I actually swallowed my pride and admitted that I liked the Bose better AFTER having owned the Orbs. In fact, the difference in quality was so great, I opened my slim wallet again and shelled out $900 for the Bose. It hurt!

But I have to say they sound much better.

By the way, just because I am giving Bose a positive review, doesn't mean I work for them. I came here like anyone else, looking for advice. I drew my conclusion on the general consensus that Orbs were some of the best in the mini / $1000-$1500 range.

Alas, I was waaaaaay off target!

I'm not going to say everyone was wrong but the unanimous opinion againt Bose originally diverted me from them.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Thats wonderful.

Now go have your ears checked.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't understand why you would pay $900 for the Bose, with that budget you could piece together a pretty nice home theater system.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/15582960

whats a bose 321?

An audio anomaly ?!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I got an Infinity Primus set consisting of a pair of P362s, pair of P162s and a PC350 for less than $900.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I've heard both...I own some Orbs...I cannot for the life of me figure out why you find the Bose more appealing. That being said, you should spend your money on what sounds best to you, and I'm glad you're happy. I will also say that if I were a betting man, I'd place money on the fact that you won't have the Bose system a year from now.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/15584541

you should spend your money on what sounds best to you, and I'm glad you're happy.

+1. This is the most important thing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being happy with the system was my goal all along. I also listen to the Bose a lot more because it sounds better to me.

Another issue I was having is the integration between sources / the receiver / the speakers.

I had :

Dvd Player

CD Player

MP3 Player

DVR

Internet Audio Player

WII

AM/FM

To use anything, I had to pick up 2-3 remotes, adjust multiple volumes, adjust delay settings if necessary and the ENJOY!

The Bose plays CD/DVD/MP3/very clear am/fm. One remote.

It also takes internet audio streamed at 64k and makes it sound great, rich and full.

Watching TV: With my old HK AVR435 / Orb setup, I would never watch TV with it because I couldn't find a setting I liked. Every type of encoding (7 types) wasn't what I was looking for. Listening is subjective. With the Bose, I comfortably watch TV without feeling a contrast/imbalance between audio and video. They merge.......... They compliment eachother.

Summary: It's not that I'm only impressed by the sound of the Bose. but also the overall simplicity of operation. I like simplicity. I guess the AVS forum isn't the best place to love the simplicity of your system. Maybe I should go write this review on Walmart dot com! But they wouldn't know ORBs from an I-Dock.

And a last note on simplicity, I had a Logitech Harmony remote that I spent hours programming and reprogramming. I love the Bose remote. It does almost everything. I still reach for other remotes. But we all must suffer a little.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In this case, a consumer made a determination based on extensive in-home testing. Scammed is when people fall for a sales trick and don't realize their mistake until it is too late. I have the full right to return the system. I got it from Sam's Club.

I knew that this thread would fall mostly on deaf ears. I had to write it anyway, knowing what would follow.

Really, I've found that the pursuit of hi-fi audio is a lot like collecting expensive watches. All watches tell time (usually), but they is a whole universe catering to subjective quality levels that are only justified by the way they are percieved by the wearers / listeners themselves. Another analogy would be diamonds. They are priced based on demand / rarity / percieved value.

When it comes down to it, consumers should get what they like, not what others in an internet forum/club/choir recommend. Why let your taste be assigned for you?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Michael: If you've been around here for any length of time, you'll know that people don't bash on Bose due to a difference in taste. There are some very objective and valid reasons why people do not recommend their products - poor build quality, disjointed frequency response, high mark-up, etc.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom /forum/post/15585730

In this case, a consumer made a determination based on extensive in-home testing. Scammed is when people fall for a sales trick and don't realize their mistake until it is too late. I have the full right to return the system. I got it from Sam's Club.

I knew that this thread would fall mostly on deaf ears. I had to write it anyway, knowing what would follow.

Really, I've found that the pursuit of hi-fi audio is a lot like collecting expensive watches. All watches tell time (usually), but they is a whole universe catering to subjective quality levels that are only justified by the way they are percieved by the wearers / listeners themselves. Another analogy would be diamonds. They are priced based on demand / rarity / percieved value.

When it comes down to it, consumers should get what they like, not what others in an internet forum/club/choir recommend. Why let your taste be assigned for you?

Your analogy of the watch is the wrong one as compared to the Bose setup.

Your Bose is akin to a watch that only tells time 68% of the day.

As for consumers getting what they want, all well and good. I'm just wondering why you thought it necessary to come here knowing what most of us think about Bose in relation to other products at a similar price. Bose in and of themselves aren't all that bad, its just the price paid for performance delivered.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I think you've come here to try to convince yourself, not anyone here, that your choice was a wise one. Sounds as if you've succeeded.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Summa,

Now you stepped in it! I bought my original system based on reviews here, after posting all the specs. Everyone told me "objective and valid" reasons why my system would kick ass. It looks like those reasons were more sujective, or else they would have been true.

Knucklehead90,

The S in AVS is science. In the spirit of science, your should honor my findings as equally useful data and not slam the door. And who ever heard of a watch that tells time 68% of the time! All watches tell time unless they run out of power. Maybe your analogies fit 68% of the time. That seems very possible.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i had a bose ls28 II once, untill i gave it away. My speakers just gotta have tweeters. I don't care what kind, just got to have tweeters. Bose ls28 was just dull, and bass extrension was less than average. If i really wanted small speakers, i probably get mirages. Has tweets and good sub too.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom /forum/post/15587174

Summa,

Now you stepped in it! I bought my original system based on reviews here, after posting all the specs. Everyone told me "objective and valid" reasons why my system would kick ass. It looks like those reasons were more sujective, or else they would have been true.

Knucklehead90,

The S in AVS is science. In the spirit of science, your should honor my findings as equally useful data and not slam the door. And who ever heard of a watch that tells time 68% of the time! All watches tell time unless they run out of power. Maybe your analogies fit 68% of the time. That seems very possible.

Are you saying you'd like us to take your findings as 'science'?

I've a better idea, why not find a Bose fan club and you can sit around with the other Bose fan boys and tell each other how smart you all are?

All listening experience is subjective. The fact that you can't hear the defects in your Bose setup tells more about your hearing than your Bose speakers.

I don't suppose you bothered to read the link I posted prior?

Hear that? Its me slamming the door on this thread. Say what you will, I'm not interested in wasting any more time on you Bose fan club members. My guess is you never did buy anything but the Bose setup and now you are trying to justify those 3" paper cones and lousy sub that cost you over $900.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

BANG !!!! (door shuts)

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz /forum/post/15587258

i had a bose ls28 II once, untill i gave it away. My speakers just gotta have tweeters. I don't care what kind, just got to have tweeters. Bose ls28 was just dull, and bass extrension was less than average. If i really wanted small speakers, i probably get mirages. Has tweets and good sub too.

Funny, I replaced my Bose ls28 with a Pioneer 94 receiver and an Orb Mod 2 system (Mod4 center and uber 10 sub).

Where were you SOBs when I bought the Ls28? Oh, I guess you were here but I had not discovered this site yet.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ya know, as much as I dislike Bose, I can see that there could be rooms and setups where the end result might be more appealing to a casual listener or TV watcher, even if it is less accurate. Bose is very mid-heavy, with enough bass to make people think they are hearing "full" sound. For dialog and casual special effects, the "Bose sound" accentuates things that people want to hear - particularly in environments where people talk over TV, play movies at 40 dB below reference level, etc. Thus, though it may be a really crappy product from a technical standpoint, it meets a perceived consumer need that a more accurate system won't.

For an alternate example: I detest AVC, or any other sort of compression. I want the full dynamic range - from my perspective, it's not worth hearing if I can't hear it as the content producer intended. OTOH, there are many people who live in small apartments or who simply don't "get" wide dynamic range; these consumers really like the "squished" sound of AVC, particularly at lower volumes. From a technical and purist standpoint, I'll stand by my position, and I would prefer to own a system that doesn't even have AVC as an option. However, this won't stop an awful lot of people from running their systems with AVC turned on.

If the OP is happy with his new system - great! It probably does meet his needs better than a more accurate system, and that's what Bose is trying to accomplish. However, this doesn't mean for an instant that anyone who is looking for accurate sound reproduction should go out and use Bose based on this sort of recommendation.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom /forum/post/15587174

Summa,

Knucklehead90,

Michael, what you buy has no bearing on me whatsoever, lol. As I said above, you should buy what you like. But to try and validate Bose as a viable option among those of us who, quite simply, know better...well, it's not really going to be a fruitful endeavor for ya. It's been a while since I've researched the options at the price point you targeted for yourself, but I have absolute 100% certainty that I could build a better system at ANY price point than what you'll get from Bose.

I dropped the ball and didn't keep close enough tabs on one of my female friends, and she ended up getting sold on a Bose 1-2-3 system. I've heard it, and I think it's crap. It's thin sounding, uninvolving, and inaccurate. Just going with speakers I've owned before, I could throw a couple of Paradigm Atoms up on a $50 pair of stands and it would blow away this Bose system. If I wanted 5.1, I could throw another pair in back and add the matching center, and still have a couple hundred bucks left over for movies and music.

As for your remote issues, I'm one of the weirdos who prefers one remote per piece of gear, but it won't take you much effort to find that there are many, many universal remotes at all sorts of price points that will solve your problem quite easily.

So, as I said, I'm honestly happy for you that you found something you like. It's your hard earned money and you should spend it on what you and only you like best. But trust me, we've all been through this time and time again, and theres just no point in trying to convince any of us that we've somehow missed something, or that all of a sudden Bose is producing gear that would appeal to us.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts