Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I thought I'd start another thread, to adress this speciically. I'm intriguted by a feature of the Toshibas called "orbital motion". It supposedly prevents black-bar burn-in by slowly moving the picture around, when you're watching 4:3 aspect picture on a widescreen set.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does it work, or is it just "smoke and mirrors"? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Or it it just annoying?

Read about it here: http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_12485.htm

Chris

------------------

I hope it's not tacky to promote my shareware product, ClipMate in my sig!

·
Registered
599 Posts
This was first tried in the early days of TV with the imageorthicon tube.

It had an "Orbiter" to move the picture around.

It is not a cure but i think it would help the problem of burn in.

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
New Panasonic plasmas have this feature as well.

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo:
New Panasonic plasmas have this feature as well.

Mark
Has anyone seen it? Is it cool? Annoying? Noticeable?

------------------

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have seen it... Well, sort of... I can't really see it happening but it allegedly is... That's the idea.

Mark

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
My year-old 16:9 Philips 64PH9905 does its orbiting thing whenever I'm watching in 4:3 mode. But that's no very often. I usually watch standard NTSC is panoramic stretch mode (more stretching near the edges) just to be extra careful about burn-in. Motion's not perceptible at all. The image sweep range doesn't cover the full area of the side black bars--only a few inches from side to side to prevent distinct edges from burning in. Don't think the feature is really a foolproof method of preventing burn-in if you run your set in 4:3 torch mode or leave games locked on the screen. I regarded it initially as a key feature for buying the 9905, but it's importance faded when I found I could adapt to panoramic mode. At times, if the stretching becomes too obvious, I switch to 4:3. -- John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John, Rogo.

I think I can probably adapt to the stretch, but having the Orbiting motion is a good idea for when relatives come over, etc.. And it'll keep my father-in-law from burning in the CNN Ticker bars when he visits!

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.