AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the following calibration tools at my disposal but unsure of the order of operations.

Yamaha Aventage YPOA, MiniDSP DDRC-88, MiniDSP 2x4HD, Inuke Amps, 6 channel amp.

I am running 5.4.4 with 3 active channels on front sound stage, 2 rear surronds, 4 subs, and 4 overheads.
I want DDRC to cover the 3 fronts plus subs and then let the Yammy power the rears and heights?

Here's my plan of attack but I wanted to see if I got it right.

Step 1.
Sweep current system for baseline.

Step 2.
Remove all existing YPOA / inuke / miniDSP calibration.

Step 3.
Sweep subs at multiple locations and use MSO to integrate upto 4 subs using the DSP 2x4 or inukes?

Step 4.
Setup active cross overs on DDRC88 for from sound stage.
L/R/C SS -- 5.1 --> to DDRC88

Step 5.
DIRAC Calibration for 3.4 system

Step 6.
Run YPOA calibration for the complete 5.4.4

·
Registered
750 Posts
You may want to do YPAO first, then let the superior Dirac Live have the last say. If I understand correctly, Dirac won't affect Atmos channels, so whatever YPAO said before will stand.

Step 1.
Sweep current system for baseline.
Step 2.
Remove all existing YPOA / inuke / miniDSP calibration.
Step 3.
Sweep subs at multiple locations and use MSO to integrate upto 4 subs using the DSP 2x4 or inukes?
Step 4.
Setup active cross overs on DDRC88 for from sound stage.
L/R/C SS -- 5.1 --> to DDRC88
Step 5.
DIRAC Calibration for 3.4 system
Step 6.
Run YPOA calibration for the complete 5.4.4

·
Registered
750 Posts
Since I'm not sure how that c/w/should affect the Atmos speakers, you may want to email/call support at miniDSP.com

I imagine that if you zero out the Yamaha EQ, the miniDSP would recreate or do a better job at it.
If you don't zero it out, Dirac Live may just have less work to to improve it, while leaving the ceiling speakers handled.

It doesn't hurt to try anything.

If I run YPOA first, do I zero out the EQ prior to Dirac Live

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DDCR can only calibrate 8 channels... it's not enough to cover everything I am running now.

I thought that I'd let DDRC to run the Left, Right, Center, surr and subs then use ypoa to calibrate the heights?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think we're saying the same thing about what processor needs to handle what speakers, but not about which should go first.

You have 3 separate solutions for LFE (DSPs), base layer (Dirac, which also does LFE) and heights (YPAO, which also does base layer and LFE).
I haven't seen it explicitly, but if you're doing 5.x.4, that's a 9+channel Yamaha with analog in/out, meaning RX-A2080, RX-A3080 or similar. They can attempt to deal with 2 subs for timing/levels.

The potential problem is that for Dirac and YPAO, you can't selectively apply what's being corrected. You get everything they work on.

For the subs, I think the DSPs have to be applied first. That gets all the subs to respond in "harmony" to a single LFE signal. Once done correctly, Dirac and YPAO will say "That's a good single sub" and can't mess it up.

YPAO will be the "worst" at base layers and subs, but is the only thing is capable of dealing with the heights. I think that goes next, mainly to get the heights figured out. Let it calibrate for 5.0.4 (or 5.1.4 if necessary)
After that, Dirac is plugged in to take on the base layer 5 speakers + LFE. It will work over top of YPAO, but should improve it, while the heights are left under YPAO's care.

I could see the argument for running Dirac before YPAO, and in theory YPAO c/w/should decide "Oh, that's great already!" and leave the base layer alone, but it has inferior measurement capabilities, and a weaker DSP.
My concern would be that it would mess up what Dirac already fixed. That's why I would do YPAO first, then apply the superior solution to improve upon it.

DDCR can only calibrate 8 channels... it's not enough to cover everything I am running now.

I thought that I'd let DDRC to run the Left, Right, Center, surr and subs then use ypoa to calibrate the heights?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Do you have the Bass Management plug-in for the 88a?
Setup steps will be different if you do or don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts