AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on HD DVD last night with my 360 drive. I set the audio to TrueHD even though it only outputs at DD 5.1 on the 360. I didn't notice a difference between that and normal DD 5.1 while watching. However, the center channel seemed to be VERY quiet. Is this a problem with the disc or is the 360 via optical not as good as outputting audio as say a PS3 while watching The Dark Knight in comparison? My sound system was at volume level 13 for TDK the whole time, where for Harry Potter, I would have to set it to 30 to hear dialogue fine, and then turn it back down to 23 because it was too loud for everything else.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr /forum/post/0

I was watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on HD DVD last night with my 360 drive. I set the audio to TrueHD even though it only outputs at DD 5.1 on the 360. I didn't notice a difference between that and normal DD 5.1 while watching. However, the center channel seemed to be VERY quiet. Is this a problem with the disc or is the 360 via optical not as good as outputting audio as say a PS3 while watching The Dark Knight in comparison? My sound system was at volume level 13 for TDK the whole time, where for Harry Potter, I would have to set it to 30 to hear dialogue fine, and then turn it back down to 23 because it was too loud for everything else.

My HD-DVD sounds perfect via my toshiba A35. Amazing dolby trueHD soundtrack.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B /forum/post/19554750

My HD-DVD sounds perfect via my toshiba A35. Amazing dolby trueHD soundtrack.

I think it may be that the 360 is only outputting at DD 5.1 over optical and it is compressed. But for whatever reason, uncompressed audio that is decoded on the PS3 and then passed on as LPCM works fine on the center channel for me as 5.1. Not a big loss for me as I only own 5 HD DVDs, I'll try another one next time though and see if I have the same issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts