AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to order Dishnetwork 6022 system to connect to my Toshiba TW56X81. The house we are moving into has a DTV dish installed. From what I understand, I can use this dish to point to 61.5 for HD reception and Dish 500 from the kit to point to 100/119. Seems like it should be an easy job since some of the cabling is already in place. Here are my questions:
  • Do I have to get a compass to help me point the dishes?
  • Is there a diagram somewhere for a 2 dish/one receiver setup? Is it as simple as running one coax from each dish through SW21 and into Dish 6000 receiver?
  • What additional video/audio cables do I need to connect the Dish 6000 to TV and receiver?[/list=a]

Thanks in advance,

Alex

[This message has been edited by aberk62 (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Alex,

A. You don't need a compass, but it may be a little bit easier.

B. I don't have a DISH 500 so I'm not sure about this one. Are there 2 outputs from the DISH 500? If so, you way need 2 SW21. The first to combine 110/119 and then the second 2 combine the output of the 1st SW21 with 61.5. But you will definetly only run 1 cable into the DISH 6000 for the DISH stuff. You will want to get the 8VSB module (if you don't already have one) to watch OTA HD. If the house is already prewired with one coax running from the outside of the house to a location where the TV will be, I would recommend using a diplexer. This will allow you to combine the DISH coax (from the SW21) and the signal from an OTA antenna. Then you can use another diplexer where your TV will be to split these signals- one will go to the DISH 6000 and the other will go to the 8VSB module (which plugs into the back of the DISH 6000).

C. You'll want to get a good set of component cables (bettercables.com is a good place). You may also want to get an optical or coax cable for your audio if you have a DD receiver. You can also get a good one of these at bettercable.com or go to radio shack for a cheaper one.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
A. You will be very lucky to find a satellite without a compass. I use a $10 compass from Wal-Mart.

B. It depends on the LNBs you get with your system. A Twin LNB already combines the 110 & 119 signals before they leave the LNB. Then use an SW21 to combine the two dishes. If you get 2 dual LNBs, then you need either an SW64 or an SW44 with an SW21 or an SW42 (if you can find one) with an SW21.

Hoops2 was incorrect about using two SW21s on the same coax. Dish receivers do not support cascading of the same type of switch. The three options I listed above are the only three that work.

C. Your system will come with a cheap set of component cables. Give them a shot and see if they work. You will need an optical cable for Dolby Digital.

-Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.