AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went 4it. I ordered 2-750's, 1-300, 2-200, and the tuffie was the rears. I went with Sean from Rocket recommendation, the 150's (monopoles).

Total cost with shipping is $2647.00 to Rochester NY.

I'm hoping u guys/gals from this forum have steered me in the right direction. I auditioned the Paradigm system with the 100's for a tad over $3600, so that a $1,000 difference.

I'm going with dipoles on the sides and monopole for the rears on a 7.1 system. I'v got my door open now waiting for my HK 8000 to arrive.

My speakers are on backorder so I've got some wiggle room on the rears. I'm still not sure if I should go with the monopole vs dipole on the rears. THX says dipoles all the way around. Both local dealers said to use Dipoles. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

My room dimensions are 11.5'w x 25.5L. My couch is zackly 6' from the back wall. But I have a bar in the back (with tap system) and a trunk lid from a NASCAR race at pocono mounted on the ceiling which holds my funnel. I'll have to post so pic when it's all complete. Unless u want some pic now, I can do! We call it the "Racin' Room".

I have another techno guro question: Am I going to be taxing this set-up with HK8000 @ 110 watts per channel @ 5 channels. I'm going to use my HK 25II prologic for the rears (75 watts stereo).

According to Rocket, I'll be okay with the HK 8000. Remember the speakers are rated at 6 & 4 ohms. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, since I only know about 8 ohms speakers.

I sure hope this system is better than the one eye have now!

jimbo

Hay...ups just arrived...it's the HK8000

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jim-

looks like you won't need to stop by & hear my rockets before you get your own!

(i'm assuming that you're the same jim that emailed me earlier).

i don't think you'll regret the decision, btw.

now, understand that when it's all set up i'll definately have to hear your 7.1 rocket setup...

-gary

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The HK 8000 is doing just fine, at reference volumes (I am NOT in the room when this happens, thank you very much! My hubby likes his war movies LOUD) with exactly that set up. I especially love the Logic 7's conversion of older stereo CD's to the surround mode. DTS on it is incredible.

So, what is your system before ordering the Rockets?

What is your HT/music ratio, and do you plan to add SACD or DVD-A to the mix?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Raistlin-

i doubt jimbo will get his rockets very soon (with the backlog), but i've got a pair of rocket 750's and you're welcome to stop by and listen to them if you'd like. i'm in henrietta, about 1 mile from exit 46 of the thruway. just send me a pm if you're interested.

-gary

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary, Raistlin, Dawn,

Gary, I still want to listen to your 750's. I'm off dec 10-13 and can maybe we can hook-up then.

Raistlin, assuming I still score the rockets, you welcome to stop down and listen to them.

Dawn, as for my current sytem,

Kenwood 888-d's for fronts - 25 yrs old, bought them on Midway Island when I was in the Navy!!!!! I have 4 of them but I have somebody using the other two. I already somebody lined up to use my current ones since i really don't want to part with them.

Infinity center channel

Boston acoustic sub sat-7's for rears.

JBL 150w sub

Harmon Kardon prologic avr25II- 65watts fronts, 25 watts rears. I'm going to use the old HK for the rears since the HK 8000 doesn't support the latter.

Update: just opened up my new HK8000. The front of the receiver has scratches on it. I won't be able to hook it up until I'm off next week. I have to modify my stereo cabinet since it's 20" deep plus it's freezing out in NY. I have to open the garage door to get to all my wires. I'll probably hook it up dec 10-13, just within the window of Ubid's return policy. I already got screwed from them because I only bid $1,100 dollars and somehow they said I bid $1200. I have the email says I only bid $1,100. I'm going to write to someone. But that's another story.

Sincerely,

Jim Russo

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryAR
now, understand that when it's all set up i'll definately have to hear your 7.1 rocket setup...
Yeah, sure, Gary -- I'm sure your desire to go over had nothing to do with this quote of Jimbo's:

I have a bar in the back (with tap system) and a trunk lid from a NASCAR race

:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen Graham
Yeah, sure, Gary -- I'm sure your desire to go over had nothing to do with this quote of Jimbo's:

I have a bar in the back (with tap system) and a trunk lid from a NASCAR race

:D
well, it's kind of an even split. the bar & tap is a definate plus, but the nascar trunk just scares me. :)

-gary

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Did you go with the rockets because of price or did you feel that the sound was better than the paradigm system?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can stop by and listen to them when I get them. Tap system is currently out of beer though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a question about Rockets. I just bought the B&W 602 S3 for my fronts, B&W LCR60 S3 for my center, and a Sunfire Super Junior subwoofer. The total cost I paid was $2,024.76 (including Sanus stands for my fronts). However, I had no idea Rockets were as affordable as they are. Would it not make sense to spend $500 more and get the complete Rocket setup? Sounds awesome!!! Please help as I have yet to open my B&Ws and hook everything up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What is the current stated waiting period for Rockets? 750s.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
neil,

I certainly can't direct you except to the Rocket thread. Today Chacruz posted his experience with friends in Columbia, South America, who own the 803's and who had him bring his new Rocket 750's over for an A/B comparison. I have no idea if these 803's are comparable to yours, but by the price difference, well, one can only assume. :) The recitation is delightfully written, and you will enjoy reading it just for the fun of it.

smithsonga,

I THINK you can still get in on the next shipment in, which is a delivery to your door probably just after Christmas. They are getting back on schedule from the dockworkers' strike. They air shipped 20,000 lb of speakers so that those of us who had been waiting because of the strike could get them ASAP. Personally, and I have no way of knowing, I don't think they made any money on that shipment doing it that way, but that just shows how much they want to meet our expectations of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.