AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to order a new Panasonic plasma TV and the salesman asked if I wanted an extended warranty. Is an extended warranty necessary for plasma tv's??? They want $280.00 for a 5 year extended warranty. Your opinions would be appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
FWIW - Most major credit cards double the factory warranty.

General rule - If you can afford to self insure, do it. The odds are against you that you'll use the extended warranty - especially on a respected brand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1
They want $280.00 for a 5 year extended warranty.
What company is offering this price for 5 years ? (looks like a very good price)

And what is your plasma model ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
They said that the warranty is valid across North America, and they said it was through Panasonic.
When I called Panasonic and asked about extended warranty they gave me phone of the service center to buy it from and I got quoted more then $300 for 3 years extension

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The extended warranty is through Panasonic? Keep in mind that extended warranties through manufacturers tend to be more limited than those offered by retailers or third-party sources. Generally the company EW only extends the basic coverage of manufacturer's defects, and doesn't cover in home service, wear and tear, or other issues. Basically, just look into what they are actually covering for you - manufacturers defects rarely crop up so late into owning a product, but wear and tear might. Also, make sure it covers shipping - imagine the cost of sending one of those to the manufacturer to fix!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
They said that the warranty is valid across North America, and they said it was through Panasonic.
there are a few good online Canadian deals where you can get the Panny with a Canadian warranty. avdeals.ca is the cheapest that I've found.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Does the "5 years" start running from the date the TV is sold? - most EW's do.

As mentioned above, most premium credit cards and AmEx cards will extend the mfr's warranty for an additional year, i.e., to a total of two years, at no charge.

Thus, if you used one of these cards, you would really be paying $280 for three years' additional coverage, and I would guess that, if the set is going to go bad, it will do so well with the first couple of years.

Not a good deal IMO.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
Quote:
I am just about ready to order a new Panasonic plasma TV and the salesman asked if I wanted an extended warranty. Is an extended warranty necessary for plasma tv's??? They want $280.00 for a 5 year extended warranty. Your opinions would be appreciated.
$280 for a 5 year or even 4 year warranty would be a good deal even in US Dollars. Plasmas can be very expensive to repair even if it's just a circuit board - i think the cheapest repair i've seen mentioned here was about $500 and some guys with more serious failures have been quoted prices so high they exceeded the price of a brand new plasma.

There are tons of exhaustive threads about extended warranties in the past few months - an hour of searching and reading will tell you just about everything you need to know about EWs ;)

I consider an EW to be relatively cheap insurance, and i have saved a lot of money in covered repairs 2-3 years in (Sony Tube TV and Sony VCR). It helps that i'm not a cheapskate :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would not buy anything made today, without an extended warranty.

Everything made today is a Bic lighter: disposable.......

except a Zippo....

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Keep in mind that most Visa cards will double your warranty and add a second year at no cost. You don't say which model plasma you are getting, and warranties are based partly on price. For a 42" ED panel I would say that is a fair price - for a 50" HD model it is definitely a good price. Ask if you can cancel and get a refund for any unused portion at any time. If so, you have little to lose. Also, ask what local service shop will accept the warranty - you don't it shipped off if no one local will take the warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The warranty is for the 42" ED model and it is in home service, so no sending out the TV for repair. I have read some horror stories about plasma TV failures right after the manufactures warranty expires...like it was timed perfectly.

cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I've had my 42" Panny for over 3 years now- never had the slightest problem with it. I would have wasted my money if i bought an extended warranty.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts
I didn't get one, but I don't have balls the size of bowling balls that would be needed to tell someone else that an EW is "unnecessary".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.